Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2001 9:49:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:20:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a new summer project.  Saw the same thing on "Junkyard Wars".  They used cabbage for ammunition.  

Isn't there some kind of US competition every year for who can toss the farthest pumpkin, or something like that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I caught the very end of that on Friday night I think and all I can say is wow!! there is something about a 250lb rock flying at 100 + mph that is cool
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to agree with you guys. K'pel, I was having trouble with reception on my TV that night and it cleared up just at the end where they actually hit the target!!!! AWESOME!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:40:18 PM EDT
[#5]
mhmmmm medival weaponry
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched the whole thing the other night, it was certainly cool.

The interesting part was how they were able to tweak the thing for different releases and how they aimed the damned things, itty bitty adjustments ended up being GREATLY magnified down range, it didn't surprise me much that they were able to aim the things but they didn't have a whole lot of trial and error time to do it.

They were launching 250 and 350 pound stone balls through the air at a recreation of a castle wall, each of the two teams managed to hit the wall within 3 shots if I remember correctly.   Not bad though cause I think they had the wall about 200 yards away and it wasn't all that big being only about 15ftx15ft square.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:14:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Did they show that English guy that built his own launcher in his back yard? It was so cool to see a Morris Minor go flying 200 feet into the air and then Wham!. He has launched pianos, refrigerators you name it. I think he wanted to fling a dead cow once, but the government wouldn't let him.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#9]
your not the first person to think about a modern trebuech. my math teacher is a freaking genuiss and he wrote a computer program to calcualte measurments in trebuech building. he started one, but never finished it. they made them on junkyard wars. also a man made one that could throw whole cars.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
[url]www.trebuchet.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Punkin' chunkin'.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Did they show that English guy that built his own launcher in his back yard? It was so cool to see a Morris Minor go flying 200 feet into the air and then Wham!. He has launched pianos, refrigerators you name it. I think he wanted to fling a dead cow once, but the government wouldn't let him.
View Quote

The piano was thrown in the TV show Northern Exposure  by that same CATUPULT.  It was also at that time they wanted to do the dead cow but the Gubment said no!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw a program about that last year.  Taped it.  Was it the one when they tried to decide on if tebuchets were on wheels or unmovable?   They also used cast iron or lead as a weight on one arm and the other used a basket with dirt as the counterbalance.  

There are some good web sites on how to build one.  If I ever get any land,  I want to build one too.  :)

Link Posted: 5/17/2001 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I really liked the flaming barrel they launched too.
I wish I would have done one of those for my college physics final project instead of measuring the wavelengths of radioactive isotopes.
Learning can be fun too!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:37:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#16]
not only did they 'throw" a piano. let's not forget that they also sent chris' friend down stream as a final goodbye to him also.
northern exposure. anyone else miss that show?
way ot here but
remember when maurice went to dinner with his new neighbors? he thought they were "refined" because of the way they dressed and music they listened to. then he found out they were gay!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2001 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#17]
If his government wouldn't let him fling dead cows, perhaps it's time he put it to its traditional use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top