Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2010 3:16:24 PM EDT
Combat vet, auto shop owner shot and killed armed robber. Good guy was also certified NRA instructor.

Im thinking of stopping in to see if he needs anything.
DORMONT, Pa. ––
The owner of a small Dormont garage said he used his pistol training and his military experience as a combat veteran when he shot and killed a former customer who robbed him at gunpoint.

Allegheny County police are investigating but don't expect to file charges in the death of 39-year-old Lonzy Westbrook, who was shot Thursday morning at Bill's Auto Service behind a strip of stores in the 2900 block of West Liberty Avenue.

Bill Miller told Team 4 investigative reporter Paul Van Osdol that Westbrook came into his business with a .380 semiautomatic pistol while a delivery driver was there shortly before 10 a.m.

"He opens the door and says, 'This is a robbery.' He says, 'I want both your wallets,'" Miller said.

Miller said he gave Westbrook $74 and his identification, and then he and the delivery worker were told to get on their knees.

"I see the gun right here, and the next thing I see, I feel, I hear something going 'click, click, click. It's a Taser, "Miller said. "He hit me on the back of the neck, and down on the floor I went."

Miller said Westbrook then left, and he got up and went to a closet where he keeps a .44 Special, and then he saw Westbrook coming back.

"This guy had sole intent to kill me –– sole intent," Miller said. "Why else would he have come back into this building?"

It was then that Miller, a former Huey crew chief in Vietnam, called upon his experience as an NRA-certified pistol instructor.

"As he turned and pointed his weapon at me, I waited until it was pointed right at me and I squeezed the trigger and he went down," Miller said.

County police will consult with the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office to decide if any charges will be filed, but assistant county police superintendent Jim Morton said, "It doesn't seem like a problem at this time."

Miller's wallet was found on the intruder when police arrived, said Morton.

"The gun was against the delivery man's head," said Miller's lawyer, John Thompson.

Police also said they found a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo parked at Tennessee and Belplain avenues that may have been involved in the robbery.

Miller said he recognized Westbrook, of the North Side, as someone for whom he had done brake work about a year ago. He said he didn't have any bad experience with Westbrook before, but he did what he had to do on Thursday.

"It could have only ended one of two ways –– with him on top or me on top," Miller said. "Somebody –– God –– was on my side."
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]

this fills me with warmth.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, bye!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Another happy ending!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to hijack the OP's thread but it's the 3rd time in a WEEK:

"It was the third shooting in the county in less than a week in which an intended victim killed his aggressor."

Read more: Here

Be Safe!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Too bad his business isn't closer to my home.  He would be my new service guy
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Another cull goes away.

But you wait to shoot when he comes back?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
It reads like his lawyer wrote it - which is a good thing.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I love these great Christmas stories.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Clearly it is a bad plan to fuck with people in western PA.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
He'd get my business.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:09:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not to hijack the OP's thread but it's the 3rd time in a WEEK:

"It was the third shooting in the county in less than a week in which an intended victim killed his aggressor."

Read more: Here

Be Safe!

They should all get a bonus tax credit for saving the tax payers a ton of money.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Perp's facebook

Look at some of the pics and you'll see his peeps are in shock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll have to keep track of this one. Shouldn't be long till "my baby didn't do nuffin" hits the print, and, lets see how long it takes for the lawsuit to hit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like his facebook page was sanitized.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Merry Christmas
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Another happy ending!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top