Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 8:23:07 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/24/2004 5:21:18 AM EST by 223Rem]
Removed

Pic server is down
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:38:37 AM EST
yep, we were sent this e-mail. My wife sent an e-mail to E-bay regarding it.
They replied that they NEVER send e-mails requesting ANY of your personal
information, And that it is a fraud and they are investigating it.
It is a type of fraud called "phishing". The perpetrator will send a mass e-mail under false
pretenses, in the hopes that someone will respond with their personal info.
The more official it looks, the more likely someone will fall for it.
Never give ANY of your personal information to ANYONE who solicites you.
If you are unsure as to the validity of the solicitation, contact the business or agency in question
using an e-mail address or tel# from a trusted,third party source to report it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:51:18 AM EST

Just got the Citi Bank one here couple of weeks ago. It went offshore in the Pacific somewhere IIRC.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:59:42 AM EST
Duh.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:02:09 AM EST
I got the one from PayPal today. The no-brainer was the fact it came to an account that would have nothing to do with any service. Of course the other fact is that the apparent link and the real link do not match.

I can't stand HTML mail, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:21:46 AM EST
Fuck paypal anyway.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:25:50 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:26:25 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:32:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By Waldo:

Just got the Citi Bank one here couple of weeks ago. It went offshore in the Pacific somewhere IIRC.

Yeah I get that too, the funny thing is, I don't have a CitiBank account.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 11:36:06 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:26:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 12:40:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By Wolfpack:
Paypal's addy with start with https:// not http://

Riiiigghhhtt....
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 1:42:45 PM EST
from paypal's website

Protect Yourself from Fraudulent Emails and Websites

At PayPal, protecting your account's security is our top priority. Recently, PayPal members have reported suspicious-looking emails and fake websites. These emails are not from PayPal and responding to them may put your account at risk. Please protect your PayPal account by paying close attention to the emails you receive and the websites you visit.

Please use the following tips to stay safe with PayPal:
Safe Log In: To log in to your PayPal account or access the PayPal website, open a new web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the following: https://www.paypal.com/

Greeting: Emails from PayPal will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. Fraudulent emails often include the salutation "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member".

Email Attachments: PayPal emails will never ask you to download an attachment or a software program. Attachments contained in fraudulent emails often contain viruses that may harm your computer or compromise your PayPal account.

Request for Personal Information: If we require information from you, we will notify you in an email and request that you enter the information only after you have safely and securely logged in to your PayPal account.

Often, fraudulent emails will request details such as your full name, account password, credit card number, bank account, PIN number, Social Security Number, or mother's maiden name.

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:13:37 AM EST
I've gotten these emails from both PayPal and eBay - it's pretty clever, how the link displays one URL but actually links to another. My email program (Eudora) displays the actual URL at the bottom of the screen when you place the cursor on the link, so I can tell where it's planning to take me.

I've actually seen some of these messages that are so blatant that they say "You owe us $500, click here to pay" and they take you to a page where it has a window for you to type in your credit card number and expiration. The sad thing is, I'm sure there's people out there that actually do it.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:27:40 AM EST
I jsut sent them my CC # I hope they get my account fixed....
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:32:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 3:33:17 AM EST by TheCynic]
Depending on your email client, you can
usually hold your mouse over the link and
get the full address. If the actual address
does not point at a page under the top-level
domain of the company in question - it is
99% a fraud.

For example, this link that appears in an email...

https://www.paypal.com/yeraccount

actually points at:

http://www.pay-pal.net/yeraccount

That is the best way to spot a phish (or if they
are a dirty hippy, no wait, that's Phish).

eta: 3ACR_Scout beat me to it...
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:36:22 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/16/2004 3:36:37 AM EST by skid2964]
And this is the big giveaway ..... the link, even though it appears to look valid, the underlying URL is not.

"<A href="http://198.104.189.213/.screen/index.php">

forward the email to spoof@paypal.com
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:45:42 AM EST
The biggest giveaway is common sense. NO ONLINE RETAILERS/WHOLESALERS/PAYMENT CENTERS will ask you for your username, password, credit card number, ATM PIN NUMBER, SSN, or anything like that via email. Even if it is a LINK from an email. If you have to update your info thru them, you will HAVE TO LOG INTO THEIR SYSTEM to do it. This means going to the PROPER web page, and entering in your logon/password, and THEN updating your profile. Schemes like the ebay/paypal/citibank email frauds only work on people that don't pay attention to what they do.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:46:39 AM EST

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Fuck paypal anyway.

Right On!!!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:53:53 AM EST
Dupey Dupe...www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=265974&page=1

Just in case some haven't seen it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:59:05 AM EST
Umm I have news for you..... Paypal IS a scam!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:08:19 AM EST
Top Top