Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2010 5:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/8/2010 5:01:00 PM EDT by Bhart89]
Yes, I purposefully made the thread title a little extreme but who the hell do these thugs think they are?

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local-beat/Random-Pat-Downs-Turn-PATCO-Into-Police-State-102443699.html
Random Pat-Downs Turn PATCO Into Police State
Commuters' clothing, pockets, bags and vehicles to be randomly searched
By TERESA MASTERSON
Updated 4:33 PM EDT, Wed, Sep 8, 2010

Print Share Buzz up!52retweetTOP5K2diggsdigg

Getty Images Commuters who ride PATCO trains between southern New Jersey and Philadelphia should expect random searches of their clothing, pockets, bags and vehicles on their morning trip to work.

Twelve Transportation Security Administration screeners, armed with an explosive-sniffing K-9, checked 663 commuter bags randomly selected from the morning rush at the Lindenwold station Tuesday.

"It was chaotic," Kevin Greczyn, an accountant from Magnolia who commutes to Philadelphia daily, told the Courier Post. "Nobody was sure what was happening, whether it was safe to get on the train, or whether we were carrying something we shouldn't be.”

Delaware River Port Authority Police Chief David McClintock told The Courier Post of Cherry Hill screeners were looking for improvised explosive devices and weapons.

The chief says that out of the 6663 bags searched between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., a crack pipe was the only item confiscated.

“We can conduct any kind of search we want," said McClintock. "We could ask TSA to bring wands or X-ray machines like they have in airports, though we don't think that's appropriate for PATCO riders at this time."

There are about 5,000 commuters passing through the Lindenwold daily, according to the Courier Post. The searches will be conducted by a freshly hired DRPA police several times a month, ––without advance warning –– at various PATCO stations.

A special Delaware River Port Authority police unit plans to conduct surprise searches at various PATCO stations.

]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:25:46 PM EDT
Government subsidized transportation. Their rules, if you don't like it walk across the bridge.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:27:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HAUK3:
Government subsidized transportation. Their rules, if you don't like it walk across the bridge.

that is the truth.. However it does suck... Wont catch me on there.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:32:07 PM EDT

"We can conduct any kind of search we want," said McClintock. "We could ask TSA to bring wands or X-ray machines like they have in airports, though we don't think that's appropriate for PATCO riders at this time."

That is pretty arrogant.

Lots of folks have little choice and would have to put up with it, but I think ridership would decline and safety would not change. I would not ride.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:32:29 PM EDT

My Constitutional Magic 8-Ball says...

..."Read The 4th Amendment Again"

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:50 PM EDT
Well they saved the commuters from a crack pipe
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:36:23 PM EDT
What a pain in the ass this will be!
I take PATCO to get to work. This is bullshit. I will not stand for this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:41:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

"We can conduct any kind of search we want," said McClintock. "We could ask TSA to bring wands or X-ray machines like they have in airports, though we don't think that's appropriate for PATCO riders at this time."

That is pretty arrogant.

Lots of folks have little choice and would have to put up with it, but I think ridership would decline and safety would not change. I would not ride.

Police Chief David McClintock- It is the age of the internet, and any one can:

can conduct any kind of search we want
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:48:48 PM EDT
Who in the world would even entertain the idea of bombing a train as part of a terrorist plot?

March 20, 1995 Tokyo, Japan, Sarin gas attack
March 11, 2004 Madrid Spain, train bombed
July 7, 2005, London, UK, 3 trains and a bus bombed
Jul 11, 2006 Mumbai, India, train bombed
November 27,2009, Moscow-St. Petersburg Russia, Novsky train bombed.
Mar 30, 2010, Moscow, Russia, 2 trains bombed.

Apparently, a lot of people think it's a great idea.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:49:49 PM EDT
I am imagining a USA, where gas is so expensive that you are forced to use public transportation.

Public transportation where no-PC searches are conducted at random.

Next few years?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:09:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schadenfreuda:
I am imagining a USA, where gas is so expensive that you are forced to use public transportation.

Next few years?

9 months ago I would have agreed with you. I'm hopeful that we as a nation are waking up to the wrong direction we are headed down. We'll probably never get back to the freedom our founders envisioned but I don't think we'll see cap-n-tax pass - no-PC searches I can see in our future though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:11:47 AM EDT
Another reason why mass transit is for chumps
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:13:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Rogue-Sasquatch:

Imagine the sales if that product actually existed....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:31:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

That is pretty arrogant.

Yep.

SHADDUP SERF! (whip cracks) Eyes down and get movin'.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:38:15 AM EDT

I'm sorry, did you sleep through Constitution day in American History class? OR
did you go to one of those Progressive schools that teach American is evil and thats all you need to know...

this is just another example of the Fascism that is rampant in our Government and growing quickly.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:44:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Schadenfreuda:

Next few years?

If that happened, us rural folk will be screwed. I suppose I'd have to bike to work or move to the city.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:54:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dredd308:
What a pain in the ass this will be!
I take PATCO to get to work. This is bullshit. I will not stand for this.

Lie down, citizen. NOW.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:28:48 AM EDT
Is CCW allowed on public transportation in PA? I've never read anything stating it was verboten, but I dont use any public transportation outside of flying a few times a year.

I just reviewed the places that are forbidden to carry on PAFOA and public transportation is not listed. Why is it that I think there will be a shitstorm when one of these searches turns up a legal gun?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:16:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By xd675:
Is CCW allowed on public transportation in PA? I've never read anything stating it was verboten, but I dont use any public transportation outside of flying a few times a year.

I just reviewed the places that are forbidden to carry on PAFOA and public transportation is not listed. Why is it that I think there will be a shitstorm when one of these searches turns up a legal gun?

Lindenwold is in NJ just across the river from Philly so CCW is verboten. I think in PA you can CCW on public transportation.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:19:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:45:00 AM EDT
fuck patco.

Fuck David McClintock.

The port authority, and therefore PATCO is a reflection of whats wrong with the governments in PA and NJ. For example. They have hundreds of millions of dollars, so do we fix the bridges with it? no. we build a fucking soccer stadium. Then they notice that opps, the bridges are in disrepair and we have no money. lets raise tolls.

Meanwhile the police chief type guy of the port authority police makes $130k a year, and for what? to keep a few bridges and boats "secure" (from speeders...thats about it)

And us citizens have no say on how this racket is run. These people are political appointees who are friends with the politicians. They can't be fired unless somebody smart is in government. and we see how often that happens o, never.

If a handful of people have blown up trains, and it's never happened in the USA yet why are we so concerned about a few people out of a few billion in the world?

I would rather take my chances with terrorists (which nothing will happen anyway), than have the US subject to this shit.

then the sheep say "o its to make us safe" no, this is to make the government safe from the rational people of this world.

Does anyone know their rights anymore?

What I've noticed in my very short life is this, Once the government gets something, they don't let it go. our money, our freedom, whatever.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:46:59 PM EDT

Uhhh yeah, cause that arguement worked out so well for airline passengers.
Magic 8 ball didn't see that coming

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:50:35 PM EDT

Well, it is the city of brotherly love....
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:00:01 PM EDT

If it's fully private, they can set the terms and you can choose to either ride or not ride––-but if you do ride, you're implicitly agreeing to their terms. If they are accepting gov't money, that's not going to be the case.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:54:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By machinisttx:

If it's fully private, they can set the terms and you can choose to either ride or not ride––-but if you do ride, you're implicitly agreeing to their terms. If they are accepting gov't money, that's not going to be the case.

I'll admit my ignorance on this topic but even if they were 100% privately funded wouldn't they still need to honor civil rights like the 4th amendment? A private company can't refuse service to blacks or gays or asians can they?

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:16:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By _DR:

No, PATCO goes into the city of brotherly love, only 4 stops in PA. Most of the PATCO stops are in New Jermany, oops, I mean New Jersey. No, wait. I was right the first time.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:09:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Dredd308:
Originally Posted By _DR:

No, PATCO goes into the city of brotherly love, only 4 stops in PA. Most of the PATCO stops are in New Jermany, oops, I mean New Jersey. No, wait. I was right the first time.

Some stops (Camden) look like old Jermany after WWII.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:24:13 AM EDT
In before Dave_A
Top Top