Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 5:10:21 PM EDT
get certified locally or when you go to the resort location?

say for example you travel to Grand Cayman for a week
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:11:50 PM EDT
You can do all your pool work stateside and do your open water dives at a PADI resort.

You do know what PADI stands for right?
P - Put
A - Another
D - Dollar
I - In
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:13:03 PM EDT
The stuff they'll teach you will keep you alive. Get certified here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:16:27 PM EDT
I did a resort dive.

I got an ear block.
I also didn't have enough weight.

Scuba diving was struck from the list of "shit that I have always wanted to do" and moved to the list of "shit that I never want to do again."

YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:18:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By fire_medic:
You can do all your pool work stateside and do your open water dives at a PADI resort.

P - Put
A - Another
D - Dollar
I - In

being PADI and

N - Not
A - Another
U - Underwater
I - Idiot

I concur with Fire_Medic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:18:03 PM EDT
I got certified here and did my first open ocean dive at a resort. They didn't give me nearly enough weight, half the people on the boat had never dived at all and half of them were seasick, etc. Diving at a resort sucks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:19:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 5:20:36 PM EDT by BWood]
Been diving since I was 18.

NEVER....and I mean NEVER ...certify at a resort with a resort course.

Every time I dive Cozumel of some other place resort dive operators tend to dive...we ALWAYS end up helping some person out. I still recall picking up one member of a resort dive group about a mile away from the group....they lost the person...reboarded...and simply drove off while he was in the water. Lucky for him we #1 picked him up, and #2 had radios. He was in the channel enough that another 5 minutes he would have simply floated away and been long gone.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 5:23:03 PM EDT by danpass]
ok.

a number of years when i was 16/17 we went to Paradise Islands, Bahamas and I did one of those 2hr resort courses and the 25ft dive in the afternoon and it was pretty cool all around.

doing the pool work here and the open dives there sounds pretty decent but I'm in Miami already. Maybe I'll just do it all here regardless lol.

How much time can there be in between?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:20:36 PM EDT
Go Local for the training including the open water dives and get your gear at the local dive shop! Support your local dive shop and get to know them. SCUBA gear needs regular service and they are a great resource for information and further training. The resort training is normally rushed and you will spend more time in class and training than enjoying the word class diving at the resort! I even do some pool diving before a trip to get comfortable with my gear and practice skills after 6-months or more of staying dry.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 5:22:31 PM EDT by klinc]
Did a resort dive in the Bahamas (3 actually that day it was so much fun).

Came back home and took a real course that was 7-8 weeks long. After all it covers stuff that keeps you alive...
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:22:42 PM EDT
Locally. You'll get better, more thorough training.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:29:43 PM EDT
Depends on the resort I would say.

I got certified at a Sandals resort and the dive master didn't put up with anything. He serious about it. The training material was PADI material.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:31:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By WGPKlaus:

P - Put
A - Another
D - Dollar
I - In

being PADI and

N - Not
A - Another
U - Underwater
I - Idiot

I concur with Fire_Medic.

I have certs from both PADI and NAUI, I did my Public Safety Diver certifications with Bruce @ Life Guard Systems. Those were the days.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:31:58 PM EDT
Locally, don't do a 'resort' course....
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:44:03 PM EDT
Locally. Gives you a chance to get used to the gear and enjoy the tropical destination more. If possible, ask if you can rent the gear the you trained with and take it with you so you will be familiar with it. Some resorts have great gear and some have crap but having familiar gear makes life a lot easier. Get in the pool with suit you plan to wear at your destination and find out what weight you need to stay submerged with a nearly empty tank (which is what you will need to do at the end of your dive for a safety stop. Most resorts use aluminum 80's). Then add a few pounds for the difference in Salt Water buoyancy. Write down that number and request that for your weight belt. Feel free to PM me, taught/DM Scuba for many years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:50:00 PM EDT
Local.
Get comfortable diving, you will be more comfortable, confident in your vacation. Local schools will make you buy your own mask, fin, snorkel. Bring it with you in your vacation. You know it fits and it works.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:52:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 7:52:59 PM EDT by TUBBY]

P - Put
A - Another
D - Dollar
I - In

This. Pay your money get your certification. If you have enough money you will look like a pro by the time you have 50 dives in.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:55:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By jeep450:
Depends on the resort I would say.

I got certified at a Sandals resort and the dive master didn't put up with anything. He serious about it. The training material was PADI material.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Same here at Sandals. I had dove back in the late 80's and early 90's and got recert and the wife did it for the first time. Had a just married sign laminated and got pics at 45'.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:55:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ACK:
Local.
Get comfortable diving, you will be more comfortable, confident in your vacation. Local schools will make you buy your own mask, fin, snorkel. Bring it with you in your vacation. You know it fits and it works.

Local diving here sucks. I'm not interested in logging a dive with two foot visibility.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:04:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2012 8:05:37 PM EDT by MHarvey124]
My wife and I did the resort course at Sandals Montego Bay, Jamaica back in September during our honeymoon. It was our first time ever doing anything scuba related. We had a fantastic time with no problems. I wouldn't have any hesitation doing it again.

I think we paid $80/person for the resort course and they took us out for a 25ft ocean dive after a quick 2 hour training class in the pool. If I recall correctly it was another couple hundred to get PADI certified. We chose not to do it. We got our scuba diving fill and were able to cross of another activity off the bucket list.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:15:35 PM EDT

PADI at a resort is a fuckin joke.
I did that and had a great time diving for the next several days.
Came back to the states and while in a NAUI program I learned all the things that could have gone wrong and how to deal with them without panicking.
It scared me to realize how much I didn't know when I had been diving.

Get real training here before you go.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:39:54 AM EDT
Get your certification here and get as much training as you can. Other people may be around to help you while underwater, but you CANNOT depend on anyone but yourself for your own safety. The more competent you are in the water, the the less danger you will pose to yourself and those around you. While on vacation inform your dive master that you're a beginner and ask if he/she will keep an eye on you. Been diving for 15 years and have seen my share of f'd up stuff, last vacation we brought a corpse back to shore on our dive boat.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:50:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2012 7:52:38 AM EDT by klinc]

Originally Posted By CozumelSteve:

PADI at a resort is a fuckin joke.
I did that and had a great time diving for the next several days.
Came back to the states and while in a NAUI program I learned all the things that could have gone wrong and how to deal with them without panicking.
It scared me to realize how much I didn't know when I had been diving.

Get real training here before you go.

Lol... at our resort course they had us down to 60-65 ft on dive 2 and 3. 2nd dive was on a wall with nothing underneath us for 6k feet or so.

A month later in the real class we learned we should not have done that.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:55:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:32:11 AM EDT
I certified PADI at Cayman and then took the rest of my certs to Rescue Diver from a WM friend in Okinawa. It costs at a resort but I'm glad I did it there instead of the city. Also, if you like the first cert you will love the advance cert, the ocean at night is a wonder to be seen.
Top Top