Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 12/30/2001 9:56:08 PM EST
My unit's getting activated for a year and we're heading down south. We'll be quartered on base. Can I bring my AR with me? While I'm down there and I want to purchase a firearm, can I? Do I need residency? Oris active military good enough for a long gun purchase.I assume it has to go in the armory and be minded by someone else when I'm not using it. Thanx Sherm
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:06:07 PM EST
You can buy a long gun in any state w/o being a resident. Not sure about taking your AR, with you. Jamie
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 10:08:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 12:33:29 AM EST
Obviously the AR will have to be legal in the state that you're going to. If you're housed in barracks, you will have to keep it in the arms room. If you're housed in family housing, you can usually keep it in the housing, but it has to be registered with the Provost Marshall either way. I would go down there first, without the AR and scope out the situation. Then you can decide if it's worth bringing down after you find out what the regs are, the work schedule is, and the area's like. If there's no place to shoot it, it might not be worth bringing it. It's a PITA, as you will have to get the armorer to open the arms room to get your gun, and to put it back. You will be considered a resident of that state if you have made a permanemt move (PCS). Generally speaking, if you're being paid TDY or any other temporary type pay, then it's not a PCS. If you're not, and it's a year long, then you're probably going to be considered permanent. It will really depend on what the orders say, and how they're written. If it is a PCS, you can buy whatever the same as any other resident of the state. You'll need you're mil-ID and a copy of your orders to prove that you're a resident. If you're not permanent, then you can only buy the same as any other visitor to the state. Ross
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:46:42 AM EST
Several years ago the commander of a post in Texas issued an order requiring everyone assigned, on or off post, to store personal firearms in the armory or register them, I don't recall which. I remember it received national attention in the shooting community. Sorry I don't remember any specifics. Eddie
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 4:37:54 AM EST
Not worth it to bring it with you. Find a good friend or relative to babysit it for you. I kept most of my firearms at my parents house while on active duty at any time that I had to PCS. Once settled, I'd drive back out and pick up what I needed or just buy new. The hassle with keeping a firearm with the Armorer is just too much of a nightmare to handle. As well, how would you be able to transport it? With a unit movement you'll probably be on military aircraft or convoy... and your commander would shit a pickle if you tried to bring personal arms. On the other hand, if you're bringing a POV you might be able to transport it in your trunk but then the MPs will shit a pickle when they inspect your vehicle and find it. Just leave it home. Robert
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 8:08:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By fijfi: You can buy a long gun in any state w/o being a resident. Not sure about taking your AR, with you. Jamie
View Quote
Not true. Some states, such as CA, require a valid residency.
Top Top