Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2010 11:32:00 AM EDT
So I got to class about 5 or so minutes early today and everyone was hanging out by the door waiting for the professor to arrive because the door was locked. I then overhead the retired Air Force guy in class say something about people "buying them up" after Obama was elected. One of the younger students said "yeah, I doubt he would be able to do that". I realized they were talking about the panic buying after the election. Another student stepped in and said that criminals will always have guns, no matter what. Then the Air Force guy mentioned that crime increased in Australia after they passed massive gun control legislation, and talked about the second amendment being an individual right that has nothing to do with the military. Another student said "Yeah, gun ownership is our right". Then, a liberal, progressive looking girl said that she couldn't imagine guns being illegal since she owns one. The Air Force guy said he only had a .22 and a 20 gauge, and that he needed more guns. The students agreed. The conversation then turned to Red Dawn
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
So much win in one conversation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#2]
In New York?

And then you woke up, right?
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

In New York?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a girl in my class mention she was getting her CPL right after her birthday. I said good idea, she asked if I had one,then I explained as much as I could about the law and restrictions. Of about 12 people sitting in the room, at least 8 were interested in either getting one or findiing out for a friend. No one was hostile to it. Other than the extreme left, most people are not that hostile to the 2nd. Its just that those who are, are very vocal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
In New York?

In CA, I've had kids in my classes talk about building Romanian AKs.

They talked about AR-15s and AR-10s as well, and one guy said he used to be a Desert Eagle in .44 mag back in Arizona.

One guy didn't think AR-15s in .223 could shoot out past 300 meters though.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In New York?

In CA, I've had kids in my classes talk about building Romanian AKs. Were they Crips?

They talked about AR-15s and AR-10s as well, and one guy said he used to be a Desert Eagle in .44 mag back in Arizona.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The conversation then turned to Red Dawn

Now you're just making stuff up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#8]
College aged and support individual liberties - must be Ron Paul supporters.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

one guy said he used to be a Desert Eagle in .44 mag back in Arizona.

HOLY SHIT, he was a desert eagle? What sort of witchcraft turned him into a man?

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:32:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY SHIT, he was a desert eagle? What sort of witchcraft turned him into a man?

He got better.

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He got better.

I have heard of this sort of thing happening, Tag for explanation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I know he attracts a lot of people at the lower tier state schools but where I went everyone was smarter than that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#13]
That's an every day occurrence....move to a free state.  Hell, the university I graduated from has a trap club.  If they'd had .22 rifles at least, I probably would have joined but shooting trap, meh.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#14]
"Dear Guns and Ammo, you won't believe what happened..."
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So I got to class about 5 or so minutes early today and everyone was hanging out by the door waiting for the professor to arrive because the door was locked. I then overhead the retired Air Force guy in class say something about people "buying them up" after Obama was elected. One of the younger students said "yeah, I doubt he would be able to do that". I realized they were talking about the panic buying after the election. Another student stepped in and said that criminals will always have guns, no matter what. Then the Air Force guy mentioned that crime increased in Australia after they passed massive gun control legislation, and talked about the second amendment being an individual right that has nothing to do with the military. Another student said "Yeah, gun ownership is our right". Then, a liberal, progressive looking girl said that she couldn't imagine guns being illegal since she owns one. The Air Force guy said he only had a .22 and a 20 gauge, and that he needed more guns. The students agreed. The conversation then turned to Red Dawn

Pics or GTFO
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know he attracts a lot of people at the lower tier state schools but where I went everyone was smarter than that.

Nice try.  It's no secret that all across the country the youth (that aren't moronic liberals) are Ron Paul supporters.  At CPAC, I met so many people under 25, including people from Ivy League schools (if you want to be a snob about it) who were there just because of Ron Paul.  Our local newspaper wrote an article about how it upset so many establishment republicans.  In fact there was a lot of whining that they should change the CPAC straw poll to only allow voters OVER the age of 25  

Twist it however you want.  Go to a college campus and there aren't any McCain supporters.  There are the typical mindless Obama drones or people who want real freedoms - libertarians.
No one wants RINOs like McCain.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]
good to hear!  remember we must use the  1st amendment to promote the second amendment [and the others as well] - keep hammering away, you'd be surprised how the sheep flock to those making the most noise..
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 8:42:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Pics of said liberal , progressive girl
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that's exactly where go. A lower tier state school.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meh, she was overwight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
This semester alone I have run into quite a few pro gun students at ASU West. I had one ask me if I used my AR for hunting after he spotted me browsing the site, and a Marine complemented me on my Larue hat.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
This semester alone I have run into quite a few pro gun students at ASU West. I had one ask me if I used my AR for hunting after he spotted me browsing the site, and a Marine complemented me on my Larue hat.

Right on.

I've been surprised to finally see some libertarian-types step up in some of my law school classes.
A couple of us went to the range the other day, in fact.
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a girl in my class mention she was getting her CPL right after her birthday. I said good idea, she asked if I had one,then I explained as much as I could about the law and restrictions. Of about 12 people sitting in the room, at least 8 were interested in either getting one or findiing out for a friend. No one was hostile to it. Other than the extreme left, most people are not that hostile to the 2nd. Its just that those who are, are very vocal.

Yep, most people view it as a fundamental right for citizens to keep and bear arms.  We definitely need to do our part to get more people to EXERCISE that right.  I can count 3 people in my circle who I am personally responsible for getting into responsible firearm ownership.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2010 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#24]
on the same note, i drew cheers for mentioning the chicago case and the RKBA in a class last week.  got my fair share of dirty looks from the junior progressives, but was really surprised at the amount of positive response from a bunch of 18-year-olds.

god bless texas.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:49:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Shit, my fraternity made group trips to the shooting range  Even the otherwise liberal-"progressive"-vegan guy came along and had a great time.  We even had one guy that was a "metro"-looking techno-DJ; turns out he was a national handgun competitor and went to the junior olympics or something for it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Skinwalker  

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's an every day occurrence....move to a free state.  Hell, the university I graduated from has a trap club.  If they'd had .22 rifles at least, I probably would have joined but shooting trap, meh.

You mean like this?  And here in CA no less.  Maybe we aren't all liberal pussies who bend over for Obama.  Just sayin'

UC San Diego Marksmanship Club
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#28]
a liberal, progressive looking girl

What does one look like
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I have found lots of people that are gun supporters at my school. Most are very quiet about their opinions as to not infuriate the rabid liberals all around us. Our student run newspaper is very liberal and constantly slams guns and gun rights. An article on Thurs. mentioned that police used an "assault rifle", after the student was tased several times, to shoot a graduate student who was out of control. Friday's letter to the editor had one student scolding the university police for taking such drastic actions against the grad student. The grad student had a knife and a pipe in his hands and came at the cops. No charges for the officers ! Sorry for the rant just a little irritated about this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent news!!

I'm sorry and ashamed to say that it was my generation who dragged us into the dark ages of gun control (i.e., the Hillary and Bill Clanton generation).

Can you imagine how angry I would get when I was younger and libtards thought the 1968 GCA was the best thing to happen since sliced bread!!

Forty God Da**ed years before I got Heller, and now, most likely McDonald!!

My stupid generation made me suffer IMMENSELY!!!   (And it wasn't just libtards........that's how bad it had gotten by the 1980's and 1990's.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm 27 and very few of my friends support gun control. You can thank video games for making guns cool and creating a desire to own them. Most of my friends are either pro gun or have no opinion on the issue.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice try.  It's no secret that all across the country the youth (that aren't moronic liberals) are Ron Paul supporters.  At CPAC, I met so many people under 25, including people from Ivy League schools (if you want to be a snob about it) who were there just because of Ron Paul.  Our local newspaper wrote an article about how it upset so many establishment republicans.  In fact there was a lot of whining that they should change the CPAC straw poll to only allow voters OVER the age of 25  

Twist it however you want.  Go to a college campus and there aren't any McCain supporters.  There are the typical mindless Obama drones or people who want real freedoms - libertarians.

In my age group this is true.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 8:54:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm 27 and very few of my friends support gun control. You can thank video games for making guns cool and creating a desire to own them. Most of my friends are either pro gun or have no opinion on the issue.

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
In New York?

In upstate, these conversations take place daily.

Yesterday I stood in my shop with a couple guys discussing the fact that everyone in Albany needs to be tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail. Conservatism abounds in WNY.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like this?  And here in CA no less.  Maybe we aren't all liberal pussies who bend over for Obama.  Just sayin'

Is that an actual club sponsored by the school with classes and everything or just something the students do/setup?
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm an 09 Gonzaga grad, I have a feeling I know what people were thinking within my school, and the Washington College Republican Federation.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 9:33:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You can thank video games for making guns cool and creating a desire to own them.

Funny how popular trends can do that - Back in the middle of the last century, it was "Western" movies and TV shows that made every kid want to own a shootin' iron just like the one that Chuck Connors carried...
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can thank video games for making guns cool and creating a desire to own them.

Funny how popular trends can do that - Back in the middle of the last century, it was "Western" movies and TV shows that made every kid want to own a shootin' iron just like the one that Chuck Connors carried...

Now it's Tom Clancy based games and their ilk that generate an interest in black guns.
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 6:05:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In New York?

In CA, I've had kids in my classes talk about building Romanian AKs. Were they Crips?

One guy was Asian, one guy was black, and two where white.

None of them seemed like shady characters, but I hardly talked to them, so hard to comment.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just loled, meant to say he had it. Sold it before he came to CA.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:57:10 AM EDT
[#41]
This is pretty common, even where I am right now: Oxford University in England. The other day, I was at a formal dinner and several of us got into a discussion about the right of self-defense. One brit said he thought it was a fundamental right that extended to the lethal use of force, and that he'd love to become proficient with weapons. Several others agreed, even though one proposed that he would only shoot someone in the foot. This conversation took place while we were sitting 50 feet from Richard Dawkins, an unrelated but interesting thing. I was also talking to a couple guys after watching Hurt Locker, and I mentioned I had a couple ARs, they were pretty jealous and asked about finding a range on a vacation to the US.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:02:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ron Paul does have a lot of good ideas.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL I used to be a Glock. But I got better.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then people grow up and realize that 99.99% of libertarians are attention whores who love to talk a good game, but never get anything done because they never really try in an sort of an effective method.

I was a rabid Libertarian, card carry dues paying party member, in college too. Then I landed in the real world.

Rabid falsehood.
Although, libertarians - like their conservative counterparts do suffer from infighting and a lack of organized unification.
FWIW, I'm not talking about the libertarian party.  I'm talking about being a liberty minded individual.

There are plenty of them out there - and by God - the number is growing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a twenty-something.  For us, it's DEFINITELY true.

Off all the people I know my age group - a handful were McCain supporters (most just out of distrust for Obama)
A substantial amount were Obama voters (most out of hatred for Bush, Patriot Act, etc.)
Remainder were liberty minded folks who were fiscally conservative - voted third party, Ron Paul supporters, etc.

I was in the third category. Flirted with the first category, but the time for playing 'lesser of two evils' is over for me.  Did it when I voted for Bush in 2004 and got a rabidly expanded government and spending.  Didn't care to do that again with McCain.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He got better.

Better than being turned into a newt I suppose.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a twenty-something.  For us, it's DEFINITELY true.

Off all the people I know my age group - a handful were McCain supporters (most just out of distrust for Obama)
A substantial amount were Obama voters (most out of hatred for Bush, Patriot Act, etc.)
Remainder were liberty minded folks who were fiscally conservative - voted third party, Ron Paul supporters, etc.

I was in the third category. Flirted with the first category, but the time for playing 'lesser of two evils' is over for me.  Did it when I voted for Bush in 2004 and got a rabidly expanded government and spending.  Didn't care to do that again with McCain.

Well at least we aren't worrying about a massive increase on .gov under McCain right now...Whew!

I am a few weeks from 30 and most everyone I know is pro-gun.  This includes many recent med-school grads, college grads, HS grads, drop-outs, etc.  The youth of this nation is getting a bad rap.  Freedom is the new counter culture in so many ways.  In my early 20's i would have looked towards RP much more approvingly and took a "more principled" stand.  However, the reality of life is that one of 2 people will win.  I did not support McCain, but I voted for him.

The time to vote your concience is the primaries.  I voted RP in the primaries despite my belief that he is nuts.  I want a much more Libertarian/Conservative batch of leadership in this country, but we have to work with what we have.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#48]
A while back, I was at a local indoor range with my son, shooting our ARs. A group of guys was in a lane by ours and they were getting some instruction from the Range on various pistols. Turned out they were part of a British Airways flight crew. They decided they wanted to do something "different" and ended up at our range.

After talking to them for a bit, we let them try our ARs. They all got black rifle disease and really enjoyed it, even though they were not real comfortable at first.

Anytime we see an opportunity to introduce someone to shooting or expose them to the joy of the AR, we try to do so.

There are now a few more folks in the UK that "get it" and maybe we can slowly turn the tide for them too.

Quoted:

This is pretty common, even where I am right now: Oxford University in England. The other day, I was at a formal dinner and several of us got into a discussion about the right of self-defense. One brit said he thought it was a fundamental right that extended to the lethal use of force, and that he'd love to become proficient with weapons. Several others agreed, even though one proposed that he would only shoot someone in the foot.
This conversation took place while we were sitting 50 feet from Richard Dawkins, an unrelated but interesting thing. I was also talking to a couple guys after watching Hurt Locker, and I mentioned I had a couple ARs, they were pretty jealous and asked about finding a range on a vacation to the US.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, she was overwight.

Who cares?  This could be the start of another "thick girls" thread!

Off to BOTD.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 8:25:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is that an actual club sponsored by the school with classes and everything or just something the students do/setup?

It is a real club that was approved by the school, but it is run by students.  All the clubs on campus have to be approved by the admin, but they are all run by students, so this is just like the dumbass hippy clubs on campus.  they really didn't want this around either, it really pained them that there were enough people willing to sign up that they almost had to approve it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top