BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:15:41 PM EDT
despite the obvious racial and misogynistic overtones, I really love this movie

meryl streep and robert redford are fantastic
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:26:42 PM EDT
Great.

So... What else has come Out of Africa? Any cars? Any manufactured product? Any inventions? Anything useful aside from natural resources?

Not being a racist here, just talking about the underlying issues that have kept this continent in the stone age(ish) with the corrupt and inept governments and a population that won't do anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:30:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ftldrben:
Great.

So... What else has come Out of Africa? Any cars? Any manufactured product? Any inventions? Anything useful aside from natural resources?

Not being a racist here, just talking about the underlying issues that have kept this continent in the stone age(ish) with the corrupt and inept governments and a population that won't do anything about it.

well, I wasn't hoping for a political discussion here, but I do agree with you.

its still a classic movie though
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:37:13 PM EDT

I swear I fell asleep three times in that movie.  I thought I was going to die before it ended.

It never occurred to me there were positive aspects to it...
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 4:38:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARdvark:
despite the obvious racial and misogynistic overtones, I really love this movie

meryl streep and robert redford are fantastic

Yeah, one of my favorites too! Just an all around epic film - won bunch of Oscars for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:10:13 PM EDT
Semi chick flick but still very well made.  She is the best actress of her day. Not a "hottie" but just so classy, I would do her. Wait, is that statement "ironic". WJ
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:19:22 PM EDT
[Meryl Streep doing excellent dutch accent]
I had a farm in Africa...

My husband gave me siphilis...

I fell in love with a handsome adventurer...

He died....

I feel bad for the natives....

I lose everything....

the end.

[/Meryl Streep doing excellent Dutch accent]

roy d....oh crap, how do you do that spoiler thing again? Hope I didn't ruin it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:26:21 PM EDT
It had a few good parts. Saw it with a liberal friend (back when I had such things), and he was upset they shot the lions in self defense ("it is their home!").

Mostly, boring.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:27:58 PM EDT
Great.

Pyramids? I guess they haven't moved.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:29:42 PM EDT
I thought it was incredibly boring and could barely get through part of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 5:43:12 PM EDT
I've got the book, too, a very good read.  She lead a life that very few people get a chance to, let alone actually do it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:31:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DonS:
Great.

Pyramids? I guess they haven't moved.

Its a stack of freakin blocks...a three year old could do it (scale).

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:18:03 PM EDT
I thought this was an Obama thread...

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:27:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/8/2010 8:27:43 PM EDT by raven]

Great.

The human race

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:58:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven:

Great.

The human race

That explains everything.
Top Top