Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 7:54:42 AM EDT
So this last Sunday morning, because I'm SO squared away the Trp CO gave me a free plaza level ticket to the Chargers/Rams preseason game in SD. This was at 10:30am, and the game started at 1pm. I drove home real fast, picked up the wife, (woulda been boring to go alone), stopped for gas, and drove down to SD.

I figured since I was on duty when they threw me the bone, I'd represent and go in uniform. Besides which, the CO and the readiness NCO who hooked me up by calling me out specifically "asked" if I was going in uniform. Why the hell not?

Aside form the fact that SD is heavily tilted to the Navy and the USMC, walking through the parking lot garnered me alot of odd looks, like "where the hell did HE come from?" Not bad or disapproving looks mind you. Once inside the stadium, while bumbling around trying to find our seats, halftime broke, and throngs of people were headed outside for beer and whatnot. As my wife and I were walking through the hallways, one guy walked by, slapped me on the shoulder and said "Thanks man!" Another lady a few people behind him walked by a second later and in passing said "Thanks for all you do!" Honestly, I was sort of embarassed, but proud too. We eventually found out seats, and took in the second half of a pretty good game. A beautiful day to be sitting in the sun, and to be honest, I cant think of a time where I felt more "American". Sounds strange i know but that was the vibe I had.

When the game was over, we took off. Walking back out through the stadium, I noticed LOTS of guys who were obviously Navy or USMC scoping out the uniform, especially the beret (friggin chef's hat). I guess I was a rare breed that day. Once out in the parking lot, I got a simple "thanks" from one guy, who I acknowledged, and a few more "whats up"s from some other guys who we winding up their tailgate parties.

All in all, I had a grefat day. It was nice to be out of the armory, especially in SD at a football game. It was especially comforting to be in a town as pro-military as SD, but the best of all was the fact that even though I'm a  weekend warrior waiting on a deployment (havent gone yet) that people generally have respect for wearing the uniform. Funny how those that hold contempt for the military, the CIC, the GWOT, or the USA in general keep their mouth shut tightly;, I might have to put them in a sleeper hold otherwise!

On the drive home, my wife postulated "I wonder what would happen if you wore your uniform out in public at a 49ers game up in SF?" I wonder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

On the drive home, my wife postulated "I wonder what would happen if you wore your uniform out in public at a 49ers game up in SF?" I wonder.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Let me echo their, "Thanks!"

Being a Weekend Warrior is a big deal these days, as Guard and Reserve forces have carried a lot on their shoulders in this current war.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, depends on the area.

My buddy is a recruiter near Milwaukee, and, he says being in his B's is like
inviting people to come abuse him.
He's been spit on on the campus of UW as well.

I usually give out a couple of "Thanks" going through DFW's terminal where the USO is, becasue there are lots of troops around.

I gave a "thanks" to one guy and, he looks at me funny, then, says..."Hey Doc!"

He was in A/1-7 Cav when I was Sr. Line Medic.  Small world.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll say it and I wasnt' even there.

THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]

I usually give out a couple of "Thanks" going through DFW's terminal where the USO is, becasue there are lots of troops around.

He was in A/1-7 Cav when I was Sr. Line Medic. Small world.

Any liberal or any other type of shithead who insults a military man when I'm around will taste some real pain from me.  Glad you had a good time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It would only be acceptable if you wore a sailors uniform.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll say it and I wasnt' even there.

THANK-YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

~m38a1

Me, too.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:05:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Actually the Bay Area is full of Defense Contractors. I'd bet your reception would be just as warm as the one you got in SD. Most Hippies can't afford the tickets on what they make selling beads and such.

Now you probably don't want to go walking around the Haight like that and not expect to attract attention from the idiots.

Well done.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:06:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Could have been worse.  Like coming back to the world in 1971 through LAX.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

He was in A/1-7 Cav when I was Sr. Line Medic. Small world.

Any liberal or any other type of shithead who insults a military man when I'm around will taste some real pain from me.  Glad you had a good time.

+INFINITY
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#12]
San Francisco??

This is what they think of when you mention the navy.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad came back through Oakland.  Wasn't good.

yeah, well, fuck them. everyone remembers guys like your dad now and what they did, those scumbag hippies are nothing but a footnote in history now. people look at them and wonder if that's where our country started to turn to shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:26:52 AM EDT
[#14]
I always felt self-conscious wearing my Army Class A's, either on-post or off-

Too many doodads hanging off it (cords on both shoulders, marksmanship badges, DUI's, ribbons, rank, patches, etc. and that awful plastic name tag. Yechhh!

Very proud to serve, of course, but that uniform is a little bit crass.

Every once in a while, I must give credit where credit is due and admit that the USMC does some things better than the Army.

That green/brown uniform they have with belted waist and the garrison cap is just about right.  (Do they call it a Class B?)

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:02:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Came back through there in '68. No fun...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuggin TRAGIC.  Let me say THANKS! now. I know it isnt much....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuggin TRAGIC.  Let me say THANKS! now. I know it isnt much....

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I can answer the San Francisco question for you. I'm frequently seen around the Bay Area in uniform by nature of the job, usually Class Bs, but occasionaly BDUs.

Once, in March 03 I was even chanced to be on Market Street in full Class As on the same day as the largest anti-war protest was held.

I have never once been disrespected. Some of the anti-war protestors I passed that day referred to me by rank. "How you doing, Lieutenant", which surprised me.

The last time I was in Burger King (three days ago), I had two people come up to me and say 'thanks for your service'.

At Appleby's, I had someone come up and ask "May I shake your hand?"

We get free tickets to the Oakland A's games. We have free tickets to Infineon Raceway this weekend.

The Bay Area gets a lot of undeserved stick. Some deserved, yes, but it's not as stereotypical as many make it out to be.

NTM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
San Francisco??

This is what they think of when you mention the navy.

Hey, "The Castro District" BECAME the gay city within a city when all the gay sailors returned from WWII and settled where they were "let off the boat" ... I doubt a uniform would get much flack in SF ... well, in CERTAIN districts, anyway
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
We have free tickets to Infineon Raceway this weekend.
NTM

How do I get in on that deal?!?! RACING......MMMMMMMM!

I was born in SF and grew up in the east bay, and while I agreee that some of the reputation is unfounded, the "establishment", read: the media and much of the local government is downright MOONBATTY and needs to be purged.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Easy. Sign on with the 340th FSB...

NTM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh please.

Support for the military is very strong up here too.

But only the very vocal minority is given any press.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I can answer the San Francisco question for you. I'm frequently seen around the Bay Area in uniform by nature of the job, usually Class Bs, but occasionaly BDUs.

Once, in March 03 I was even chanced to be on Market Street in full Class As on the same day as the largest anti-war protest was held.

I have never once been disrespected. Some of the anti-war protestors I passed that day referred to me by rank. "How you doing, Lieutenant", which surprised me.

The last time I was in Burger King (three days ago), I had two people come up to me and say 'thanks for your service'.

At Appleby's, I had someone come up and ask "May I shake your hand?"

We get free tickets to the Oakland A's games. We have free tickets to Infineon Raceway this weekend.

The Bay Area gets a lot of undeserved stick. Some deserved, yes, but it's not as stereotypical as many make it out to be.

NTM

Yep. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Welcome to San Diego.  Unlike a great deal of coastal California we love and admire our armed forces.  Perhaps it's the proximity, perhaps it's that most of them are our fathers and sons.

Good luck catching a Marine out in uniform in public.  Ain't gonna happen unless he's a recruiter or walking between his car and his home.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Oh please.

Support for the military is very strong up here too.

But only the very vocal minority is given any press.

Again, I totally agree. I mean for gods sake, I grew up in those parts on a steady diet of Red Dawn, Regan politics, playing war in the hills behind my house, and good Vietnam War books.

Much to my Mother's chagrin!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:11:30 AM EDT
[#26]

Good luck catching a Marine out in uniform in public.  Ain't gonna happen unless he's a recruiter or walking between his car and his home.  

Right! I was out with the wife a few months back @ the Yardhouse on a Friday night. There were three Marines there in Class B's?, up from SD for the weekend, post recruit training. Two were underage but I bought them beers anyways. We sat outside and ate and drank made merriment for a little while. Hope those guys are safe right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, well, fuck them. everyone remembers guys like your dad now and what they did, those scumbag hippies are nothing but a footnote in history now

A big +1.  They are remembered as what they were.  Vile, loathsome, assholes who made life harder for men who did nothing but what thier nation called them to do.

Can't express how much i HATE those people and what they did.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:41:36 PM EDT
[#28]
But the news media tells us "the public" is against the war and does not support the military.

Fargin liars.

(BTW, thanks, man!)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He was in A/1-7 Cav when I was Sr. Line Medic.  Small world.

If I EVER saw someone do that to one of our service members, I would hospitalize the motherfucker.  Period.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:05:53 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

yeah, well, fuck them. everyone remembers guys like your dad now and what they did, those scumbag hippies are nothing but a footnote in history now. people look at them and wonder if that's where our country started to turn to shit.
OUTSTANDING !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top