Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2001 7:51:24 PM EDT
MEMPHIS, Mo. — Clark County Sheriff Doug Jones is facing illegal deer hunting charges for the second time in a year.

Jones, who lives in Wayland and works out of the sheriff’s office in Memphis, was cited for three alleged deer hunting violations Nov. 13 in nearby Scotland County.

Jones was charged with attempting to take deer from a motor vehicle, from a public roadway and by using an artificial light.

The incident occurred during Missouri’s firearms deer hunting season, which ran Nov. 10-20. Hunting is not allowed at night, nor may hunters shoot from vehicles or public roads.

All three charges are misdemeanors. If convicted, Jones faces possible fines totaling more than $600.

Jones is scheduled to appear in court at 9 a.m. Tuesday in Scotland County.

This is the second time Jones has been charged with illegal deer hunting in the past year. In November 2000, Jones and Kevin Pitford of Kahoka were arrested on poaching charges in Van Buren County, Iowa.

The two men pleaded guilty and were sentenced to jointly pay $2,000 for the antlered deer. They also were each fined $100 and ordered to perform 40 hours of community service work.

Jones also is under investigation for an allegation of sexual misconduct with a female prisoner. The incident allegedly occurred last month involving an inmate Jones was transporting to Clark County from a hospital in the St. Louis area.

The FBI and the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Division of Drug and Crime Control have been investigating the incident.

Clark County Prosecuting Attorney Scott Summers told WGEM-TV this week he is still awaiting results from the investigation. Summers said if criminal prosecution is recommended, he would forward the findings to the Missouri attorney general’s office in Jefferson City.

Jones was elected to his first term as sheriff in November 2000. He beat the incumbent sheriff by six votes in the Democratic primary before claiming a landslide victory over his Republican challenger in the general election.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 7:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think over the weekend in the same county a DUI suspect was shot in the leg when either a State trooper or Deputy "accidentally" shot the suspect when holstering their pistol.

Will try to find that story.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Sound more like he thought the laws don't apply to him because he is the law.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
With that rap sheet he couldnt be a meter maid in my agency. But Sheriff is an elected posistion and they elected a poacher.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:20:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:26:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Another classic example of abuse of power.
View Quote

No. A classic example of voter apathy. They like Bubba cause he's a good ole boy, so they made bubba Sheriff.

He is a poacher who happend to get elected Sheriff. Not a cop who took up poaching.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
How is he "our kind?"  He sounds like an exciting guy to hang-out with, but "our kind?"z
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:18:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I 'd also bet he is quilty of a lot more that he has been caught doing.
View Quote

Poaching is one thing. But I doubt his redneck constituants will stand for quilting...
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Not my kind of sheriff!  I wish the S.O.B. could burns for this if he is guilty.  I have no mercy for people who poach, especially when they are spotlighting, as it kind of seems like this guy may have been doing.  If he was actually poaching I hope he gets what's comming.  Seems like this guy is a born loser but I do not know him personally. *sigh* Thank God.

Link Posted: 11/26/2001 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Its a shame he wasnt illegaly hunting ducks. The people at Ducks Unlimited are total fanatics and would have him jailed and removed from office and if they could get away with a public hanging they would be doing that too!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds to me like you'll have an opening for the position of Sheriff soon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#14]
He is the cream of the local law enforcment crop I'm sure.
One of the local city nazi's here got shitty with my daughter because she would not cry, when he stopped her for speeding.
She politely reminded him she has been a police explorer for the last two years and had heard him on numerous occasions making jokes about teasing teenage girls till they cry and giving them tickets anyway.  His respose, "oh yea I remember you now, just sign then."
Before the flames start, I know most cops are decent guys. It is a tough job. I hate the little nazi's who think they are above the law.  They compell many decent people to say no to additional funding and kill support.
Link Posted: 11/26/2001 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Yay. Mr. Man went hunting against the law.

Good for him. I'm glad he can at least act like a human being instead of a damned piggy-robot like so many cops I know.

And perhaps, if we think, he might not have cared about the laws. Why is it that every time a cop breaks the law, they are automatically assumed to believe that the law doesn't apply to them?

I break laws a lot. Mainly gun-related ones. Why? Not because I think they don't apply to me; I know i'll go down when and if I get caught. I break them because they're bullshit laws.

Who cares if you hunt from the roadside or roadway, so long as you're not firing through the traffic lanes? Most roadways have at least a 10 foot 'easement' to either side. Who cares about hunting at night, if done safely?

And lastly, using a light. Who cares about spotting? A lot of hunters here and elsewhere will start yapping about how deer freeze, and it's wholly unfair.

So's a rifle/shotgun. Go out with a damned spear and stalk a deer down. Then yap about how unfair a light is. Animals are there to be killed and eaten, as well as fill a niche in the environment. Hunting laws are okay, but some of this crap borders on ridiculous, especially taking into account the sport that passes for 'hunting' nowadays.

So yeah. As many of you will say or think, i'm one of the people that gives hunters a bad name. Oh well.

I didn't make the laws. Laws make the majority of people into criminals, not actions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top