Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 7:33:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:24:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing wrong with that at all, on a whim one time I wore my repro SS camo smock to the grocery store and I didnt even get so much as a second look.  I even drove across town to a friends house with my M-42 stahlhelm on and then walked through his complex in broad daylight with it on and no one said a word.  Now, if I walk into Starbucks in my BDU's on the way to work, I get all kinds of fucked up looks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Edited to add.  He probably plays "conquering German soldier and French pesant woman with his wife."  hr

You think he makes her sing the "Horst Wessel" song before they...you know...do the deed?

10-32
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:54:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Edited to add.  He probably plays "conquering German soldier and French pesant woman with his wife."  

You think he makes her sing the "Horst Wessel" song before they...you know...do the deed?

10-32

She doesn't know the words.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]
So...

Have you tried playing "Horst Wessel is a Liar"?
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:29:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So...

Explain. Never heard of this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:40:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So...

I like the Horst Wessel song...and it has a nice rythym.

Flag high, ranks closed,
The S.A. marches with silent solid steps.
Comrades shot by the red front and reaction
march in spirit with us in our ranks.

The street free for the brown battalions,
The street free for the Storm Troopers.
Millions, full of hope, look up at the swastika;
The day breaks for freedom and for bread.

For the last time the call will now be blown;
For the struggle now we all stand ready.
Soon will fly Hitler-flags over every street;
Slavery will last only a short time longer.

Flag high, ranks closed,

I hate pussy national anthems...this isn't one of 'em.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:52:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
So...

I like the Horst Wessel song...and it has a nice rythym.

Flag high, ranks closed,

The street free for the brown battalions,
The street free for the Storm Troopers.
Millions, full of hope, look up at the swastika;
The day breaks for freedom and for bread.

For the last time the call will now be blown;
For the struggle now we all stand ready.
Soon will fly Hitler-flags over every street;
Slavery will last only a short time longer.

Flag high, ranks closed,

I hate pussy national anthems...this isn't one of 'em.

"Horst Wessel Lied"

Like I said, Horst Wessel is a Liar.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, he was and fell for a false cause, etc. Still, it's fun to dress up and "re-live" the time period and get some idea what it was like. BTW, I'm watching "Downfall" right now. Great Movie!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:07:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Fascism would be just fine as long as I was in charge
And the song is basically about fighting Russians so...
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:09:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Well the SS did have some pimping uniforms
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:12:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That they did. And those wools are very hot in the summer.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:16:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No wonder they were so cranky.  Give them some nice cotton uniforms & some comfortable shoes instead of jackboots & things might have turned out differently....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No wonder they were so cranky.  Give them some nice cotton uniforms & some comfortable shoes instead of jackboots & things might have turned out differently....

In 1941 (IIRC) they did develope a Herringbone twill uniform for summer. I have a replica. It is much cooler and excellent for summer wear. Jackboots aren't too bad to wear. I like them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:47:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In 1941 (IIRC) they did develope a Herringbone twill uniform for summer. I have a replica. It is much cooler and excellent for summer wear. Jackboots aren't too bad to wear. I like them.

Didn't the Germans go to major fashion designers of the day to help create the "image"?  I have read it was all part of the brainwashing/re-education process.  Teaching the master race stuff and dressing like a million bucks to bolster the ideas.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:01:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
UPD415,  
Nice hijack.

Yep! did myself proud!

SmokeyCity- I'm not sure on the origin of the german uniforms. They were not changed that much from WWI, etc. I think the US developed the most and best practical field uniforms of the war. The other nations used either leftover or modifications of WW1 uniforms.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:02:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't you post this like a week ago?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Didn't you post this like a week ago?

I just returned to work where I can play on the "net." And- what does it matter?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Didn't the Germans go to major fashion designers of the day to help create the "image"?  I have read it was all part of the brainwashing/re-education process.  Teaching the master race stuff and dressing like a million bucks to bolster the ideas.  

The SS liked to wear their uniforms differently or adopt a different cut when they could get away with it. One will often notice that SS men have their tunic collar slightly open at the neck. Some SS men removed one or both of the hooks in the collar. Others wore their tunic with the top button opened and pressed back like tiny lapels. It all depended on the tolerence of one's commanding officer for such things. Other differences were official and not so subtle. Both SS and Wehrmacht Panzer crews wore a panzer wrap, but the Waffen-SS version had an entirely different cut to the breast and the lapels were slightly smaller and more rounded at the tips.

I'm not inclined to think these differences were a conscious attempt at brain washing. The SS simply thought of itself as an organization that was separate and distinct from the military. Wearing uniforms differently was one way to express this opinion. This phenomenon happens to an extent in all military systems. When I was in military school we switched from red to maroon PT uniforms at one point. The 'old schoolers' were quite proud of their old red PT clothes and took care not to ruin them. And some older kids cut the elastic out of the cuffs of their sweat pants legs. It gave the pants a distinct look that didn't stick out enough to cause problems.

If the SS had gone on past 1945 or had been allowed total freedom to design their own dress uniform, I think they eventually would've wound up with something similar to the uniform worn by post-war West German forestry officials- or early 1970s American country western stars. ;) Take a look at the civilian clothing worn by a lot of German vets after the war. They weren't afraid of modern fashion trends. Their wardrobes had more in common with Hollywood stars than the gray flannel suits of stuffy businessmen.

Galland
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#20]
You think you Dispatcher is weird....

Try talking to the clowns on the other side of my radio.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Hugo Boss designed some SS uniforms. His company used slave labor to manufacture German uniforms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top