Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 8/30/2002 9:08:16 AM EDT
Ok, maybe I got the spelling wrong and it should be KURDS !! [b]Anyway, this is the group that is to rise up in rebellion of Saddam thus helping insure a rapid U.S. victory in Iraq !![/b] Yeah, right LOL What 'might' be wrong with this picture ? 1)Seems the Kurds are presently harboring a senior Al Quaeda member. 2)Turkey HATES the Kurds and we gotta have Turkey. 3)These new 'best friends' were Communist until the fall of the Soviet Union. [b]If the U.S. is offering people like this as allies to the general public one can only wonder what other bullshit we're being fed ??[/b] My $.01
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:19:52 AM EDT
The Kurds aren't the only dissident faction in Iraq. They won’t be much help but you don’t want them taking potshots at you while you are busy doing something else. I doubt if they know what communism is; they take what they can get from whoever wants to supply them. The more you give them the nicer they are. They are not our near and dear friends. They aren’t swell people; there aren’t too many swell people in the region. What is your point?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:22:21 AM EDT
"2)Turkey HATES the Kurds and we gotta have Turkey." indeed, it is not just turkey that are concerned with kurdish autonomy. the iraqi kurds exist only by the grace of the united states. if we walk, saddam takes them out. "3)These new 'best friends' were Communist until the fall of the Soviet Union." so were the poles, romanians and bulgarians.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:26:37 AM EDT
The communist part is not the problem. I feel a lot of sympathy for the Kurds - they have been screwed over by everyone for practically all of recorded history. On the other hand we have to have Turkey on board... what to do. [:|]
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:49:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2002 9:52:57 AM EDT by Fearandloathing37]
Hitching our wagon to the kurds would be a real bad idea, unless we plan to partition Iraq like North And South Korea or North and South Vietnam, Which would be a unbelivably huge mistake. The problem is there are no GOOD Iraqi's to turn the goverment over to. Do we give the country to the South Eastern Shite's, who have been brutaly repressed by the sunni minority and the Baath Party under Saddam. The Shite's who would turn around the minite we drew down our forces in country and hand over half of Iraq to the Iranian Shite's? Do we set up some sort of minority goverment of sunni's, the rest of the world will veiw as a repressive puppet regime, because of the things such a regime would have to do, to both the kurds and the Shite's to stay in power? Do we do a sort if Islamic De-Nazification as we did in germany after the second world war, were we hunt down and eliminate fundementalist clerics? Getting into Iraq and will be the easy part, but unless we get or sh*t together getting out will be the problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:19:34 AM EDT
The only way we the US can get turkey on its side is, if the Kurds get to stay in Iraq - and as of my knowledge everybody (but sadam) would be really happy about this. The turks don't have to give the kurds any autonom areas anymore (hell they get a whole stae w/ oil). and the kurds get their so beloved mountains in northern Iraq. Sorry but sounds a very good idea to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:50:59 AM EDT
I know a guy who is a Kurd. He told me stories about the war in Lebanon, where he was living at that time in the 80s. He said it was still better than Turkey--the Turks (our wonderful allies) conduct brutal interrogations of Kurdish people. The Turks should not be within America's good graces--they have no civil rights, they are not as progressive a country as we are made to think. In most ways, Turkey is as bad as Iraq.
Top Top