Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/18/2001 9:36:27 PM EDT
Our Government is Worse Than Anthrax by Steven Greenhut I’ve already been accused by some of my newspaper readers of being a coward and a traitor because I can’t get too excited about the Endless War on Terrorism. So I might as well go for the gusto and say what I really think. First, despite the truly grievous attacks on innocent people in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania, I still fear my own government far more than I fear Osama bin Laden, his al-Qaida network, and whatever foreign governments may have aided and abetted his terrorist plots. In my mind, the FBI is far more frightening than anthrax, and John Ashcroft isn’t much better than the Ebola virus. Second, while America’s foreign policy – i.e., starving Iraqi children for 11 years because Washington no longer supports the dictator it helped prop up – doesn’t condone terrorism, it explains why some people are supportive of it. Third, Americans have more to fear from the ideas expressed in a recent neoconservative tirade in The Weekly Standard than they do from the frothing U.S. flag-burners in Pakistan. Last week’s cover story, written by Max Boot of the Wall Street Journal, was titled, The Case for American Empire, and is something well beyond satire. Read it yourself for final proof that the neocons are insane. Fourth, if I have to hear one more commentator prattle about America being targeted by bin Laden because of our nation’s freedoms, I am going to run into the streets of Santa Ana (where I work) yelling nasty things about our government. Don’t worry, no one will bother me given that English isn’t widely spoken around these parts. As part of my quiet protest against the jingoism and war-mongering, most of my columns since the Sept. 11 attacks are dedicated to this proposition: America ain’t nearly as free as everyone seems to think it is. On Sunday, I wrote about how the local children’s services agency has taken a young girl out of the care of her loving grandmother and placed her with a foster parent who, according to court records, owed $31,000 in back child support to his own kids, had a restraining order placed on him so he couldn’t see them, and was accused in a sworn statement of swimming nude with his foster children. I was reminded that government bureaucrats can take anyone’s kids at any time for any reason, and they needn’t even tell the parent where the kid has been placed for 72 hours. Proceedings take place in a special kangaroo court where what the bureaucrats say is taken for gospel, and what parents and responsible adults say often is ignored. After my column ran, I’ve been inundated with calls from readers relaying similar tragic dealings with these agencies. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about eminent domain abuses. In California, most cities have what are called redevelopment agencies, whose officials can declare any residential or retail area as blighted, and then exert broad powers of eminent domain to take properties from owners and hand them over to big developers. The real goal isn’t blight removal, but the creation of new shopping centers and hotel complexes that bring in more tax revenues than the current residents or business owners bring in. page 1 of 2
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:37:26 PM EDT
page 2 of 2 Cities are supposed to pay fair-market value for the properties they take, but they try to outright steal them by making lowball offers, backed by intimidating tactics worthy of the mafia. I wrote about how the city of Garden Grove took a thriving multimillion-dollar car rental business run by Korean immigrants, and offered them the whopping sum of $16,000 for the enterprise. Small entrepreneurs are routinely forced out of business by the government, and deprived of their livelihoods – making it difficult to find the resources needed to fight back in court. These aren’t anomalies, but everyday occurrences in California and other states. In another column, I wrote about Catholic school boosters who raised funds and started building a privately funded school on one of the few sites zoned specifically for schools in San Juan Capistrano. Although the local public school district can legally build on most any piece of property zoned in most any way, the public school officials didn’t like the idea of competition. So once they saw the private school effort, they decided to try to use eminent domain to take the site for their own school. These are just a handful of stories from one small, albeit rather loony, corner of America over the last few weeks. After each article was published, I received calls from other people telling about even more egregious incidents of government abuse. These include developers who have the total value of their property stolen from them after officials discover some endangered bug on the land, property owners who are forced to make their homes conform to bogus historical standards, a city that is forcing some privately owned motels to shut down because they cater to poor long-term residents rather than tourists, and lots and lots of unfair takings examples. Sometimes people are protected in the courts, but only after years of fighting. We live in a land where the government taxes more than half your income, where officials can take your children or your property on a whim and leave you little recourse, where government agencies have complete power over what you can do on your own private property and when you can do it. Yet we’re supposed to be so proud of our free country that we go around the world liberating other people with our Tomahawk missiles. God bless America, my eye. God save it, is more like it. October 18, 2001 Steven Greenhut is a senior editorial writer for the Orange County Register in Santa Ana, Calif.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:41:19 PM EDT
This guy's in the PRK. The governemnt there is orders of magnitude worse than the feds and a good glimpse of governmental power run amuck. And I'll lay odds that this guy voted for every one of the power grabbing political hacks that runs CA, and probably campaigned for Finestein and Boxer. As you sow, so shall you reap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 9:46:34 PM EDT
Look where this idiot is from. Another Kali coward advocating that we do nothing about what happened and seems to be siding with the terrorists, like many others in that state. You notice he mentioned nothing about gun rights and would probably take your guns while bemoaning how terrible the government is. The vast majority of government abuses he is writing about are California state government abuses, but he doesn't mention the abuse that gun owners there have to endure every damn day. And our freedom is one of the main reasons we were attacked, regardless of what this pinko coward says. What makes this left wing idiot right? He's a pompous, left wing asshole.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:06:30 PM EDT
From my experience the Orange County Register is one of the very few conservative newspapers in so. kalifornia. I suggest that you all take a remedial reading comprehension class. Let me help. There is nowhere in the article that he says "to do nothing". The gist of the article is how our govt has been and still contiues to terrorize its own citizens. You have a significantly higher chance of having the ATF, child protective services, or some other overzealous agency coming after you than receiving an envelope containing anthrax.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2001 10:03:14 PM EDT by I_Luv_Carrots]
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: From my experience the Orange County Register is one of the very few conservative newspapers in so. kalifornia. I suggest that you all take a remedial reading comprehension class. Let me help. There is nowhere in the article that he says "to do nothing". The gist of the article is how our govt has been and still contiues to terrorize its own citizens. You have a significantly higher chance of having the ATF, child protective services, or some other overzealous agency coming after you than receiving an envelope containing anthrax.
View Quote
[:D] You know your're like my favorite member here, right?
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:13:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: I suggest that you all take a remedial reading comprehension class.
View Quote
I don't need a remedial reading comprehension class to spot a left wing, sniveling, pompous, asshole. Greenhut, not you. I reiterate, he said nothing about the abuses that gun owners have to suffer and I bet that he would love to take your guns. He is playing politics at the wrong time and most of everything he has complained about is because of his darling Dems.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:40:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/18/2001 10:41:27 PM EDT by MadMatt]
On this particular occasion, he is addressing the government's ability to take your real estate at their whim. At other times he has expressed the paper's strong pro-gun rights position. A key statement he makes is: "America ain’t nearly as free as everyone seems to think it is." That's the same impression I get from reading many of the posts here, especially in the legal section. As we squash Bin Ladin and his buddies like the cockroaches they are, we need to remember why we're doing it. We're certainly not doing it to preserve some city council's ability to take your business or the BATF's ability to take your machine gun.
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:40:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LARRYG: I don't need a remedial reading comprehension class to spot a left wing, sniveling, pompous, asshole. Greenhut, not you. I reiterate, he said nothing about the abuses that gun owners have to suffer and I bet that he would love to take your guns. He is playing politics at the wrong time and most of everything he has complained about is because of his darling Dems.
View Quote
Larry, The point Imbroglio is trying to make (I think) is that if there is one paper between the SF Bay area and the San Ysidro border crossing, that will make a stand for your conservative issues be it gun control, excessive taxation, or government abuses it will be the OCR. I highly doubt this man was/is a Clinton/Gore flag waver, or is in some kind of mad rush to see *anyones* guns taken away. Trust me on this, the OCR is probably the biggest conservative paper in all California, and as such should be considered a "friendly". rDAm
Link Posted: 10/18/2001 10:46:45 PM EDT
LarryG: I think you are a snivling commie fag!!!(not realy, just to show a point) And since this is my opinion and i dont need any facts you shall be burned at the stake!... As you said I can spot a snivling left wing gun grabbing or something like that so can i spot a commie pinko fag and you look like one... This kind of crap does nothing for anyone. The guy sounds fairly conservitive to me ... just because he didnt mention that he has 12 ak47's and 3 ar-15's and a small cannon doesnt make him a gun grabber. dont call people assholes unless you know them to be assholes!
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:00:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 1:12:28 AM EDT
I have no problem with his grievances because I know the things he speaks of happen every day in California. He is 100% on in that regard. However, his statement. "...Yet we're supposed to be so proud of our free country that we go around the world liberating other people with our Tomahawk missiles." is complete BS. I am extremely proud of our free country. This doesn't mean I like everything the govt. does. When possible, I vote the aholes out of office. Isn't that what freedom's about? And when someone attacks us, we are 100% justified to use a military response. If he has a problem with his govt. (like a lot of is do) he should try to change it. But to say we have nothing to be proud of shows the kind of idiot he really is. He really has nothing useful to offer; like a fly buzzing in your ear while you eat breakfast.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:03:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Invictus: Our Government is Worse Than Anthrax by Steven Greenhut I’ve already been accused by some of my newspaper readers of being a coward and a traitor because I can’t get too excited about the Endless War on Terrorism.
View Quote
That sounds about right. At least he knows what he is.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:28:27 AM EDT
Wow. Rarely do I read an column wherein about 30 percent of it I am thinking what a dickhead the author is, and 70 percent I am thinking the author is dead-on in his observations. All in the same column.
Link Posted: 10/19/2001 6:54:18 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Invictus:
Originally Posted By LARRYG: I don't need a remedial reading comprehension class to spot a left wing, sniveling, pompous, asshole. Greenhut, not you. I reiterate, he said nothing about the abuses that gun owners have to suffer and I bet that he would love to take your guns. He is playing politics at the wrong time and most of everything he has complained about is because of his darling Dems.
View Quote
Larry, The point Imbroglio is trying to make (I think) is that if there is one paper between the SF Bay area and the San Ysidro border crossing, that will make a stand for your conservative issues be it gun control, excessive taxation, or government abuses it will be the OCR. I highly doubt this man was/is a Clinton/Gore flag waver, or is in some kind of mad rush to see *anyones* guns taken away. Trust me on this, the OCR is probably the biggest conservative paper in all California, and as such should be considered a "friendly". rDAm
View Quote
If what you say about the OCR is right, then I stand corrected. I don't, however, agree with with the part about the Tomahawks. Perhaps he is a pro-gunner, but I don't believe that we should do nothing about 9/11, which he seems to be saying. He is right about most things he said, but, as I pointed out, most of the things he is complaining about are occurring at the local and state level and Kali seems to be the worst in the nation for the things he is complaining about. Some Kali people keep saying they are trying to change things out there, but it just seems to keep getting worse while we MAY be seeing some light on the national level. I may be just being optimistic about the national thing, but I hope.
Top Top