Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2002 8:34:09 PM EDT
Just got back from mickey d's and passed a wreck and asked if I could be of any assistance as I got out of my truck and they said sure we could get spectators to stay back and direct a little traffic.. so I directed traffic for a good 15 minutes and got people to stay a good 30 feet away .. until more police could get there and relieve me.. ANYWAY as I was getting back in my truck I couldn't tell if it was a male or female.. but someone's right leg was about 10 feet away from their body.. from about the hip down whole leg.. I was like... thats gotta be some excrutiating pain if the person was still alive when the leg became amputated.. and if they were still alive the either died of blood loss or shock..  my first violent wreck i've been up close and personal somewhat.. oh well doesn't bother me any
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Try looking at a decapitated, disemboweled twisted, torched corpse at ground zero and sleeping right from then on.  Oh yeah, not to mention it was impaled through the leg on a steel rod when we found it.  

Sorry about what you had to see, it always bothers you to some degree, especially when a loved one calls you one day and tells you they've been in an accident.  The images will come back one day, trust me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on the body's reaction, might not have been as painful as we would think. (Those of us never having lost a limb.) Everything could have shut down and cut the pain off.....

Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh i'm sure i'll see it in my dreams tonight..

blood and gore really doesn't bother me though unless it's my own blood then I freak but it's gotta be squirting or oozing all over the place..
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 11:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
And yes disemboweled smells real lovely.. and charred is even better bleh! I could stand not smelling that but it's part of my job as Volunteer Firefighter... specially if you pull someone out of a burning house.. its a different smell can't describe it
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try looking at a decapitated, disemboweled twisted, torched corpse at ground zero and sleeping right from then on.  Oh yeah, not to mention it was impaled through the leg on a steel rod when we found it.  

Sorry about what you had to see, it always bothers you to some degree, especially when a loved one calls you one day and tells you they've been in an accident.  The images will come back one day, trust me.
View Quote

You are sure right about that!
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2002 9:01:00 PM EDT
[#7]
not my first.. just cought me off guard.. the car/s didn't appear to be real bad but anytime someone goes through the windshield.. it's gonna be messy most of the time
Link Posted: 6/9/2002 9:59:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll just say i used to be skeptical about veterans telling me they have flashbacks when i was a teeny bopper, Now i have been a firefighter for 13 years and experience it, you don't think it's bothering you at the time.

THEN BAMMM! You see something, smell something Etc. that brings it back!

I did not know what post stress counselors were until i went to college, and my area still doesn't have them, er wait yeah we do here in the country their called bartenders!

In some of those quiet times just before you fall asleep the faces come back to you,or you'll see someone on the street that resembles that beautiful teenage girl who was killed on Prom night by the drunk.

Hey, we emergency responders learn to cope, you just make friends with those you couldn't help in time, that way it doesn't bother you.

The Big difference is we don't ever rotate back to the world, This is part of our world, but wwe keep doing it anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top