Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2002 8:19:31 PM EDT

Technical knock-out of Vargas - GREAT fight !!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn good fight. I was pulling for oscar all the way. You gotta respect a guy that goes out and gives it his all even with 100 million in the bank, myself i woulda told that punk to f-off and retired to my private island.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#2]
WHAT??????? OMG.......Guess Vargas will go away now. Years of talkin shit... This is
hilarious.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
WHAT??????? OMG.......Guess Vargas will go away now. Years of talkin shit... This is
hilarious.
View Quote

You right !! Vargas has already gone away - no post fight interview and now [b]he's gone away to the hospital.[/b]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]

This is one of those fights that may have been won long before it started.

Oscar demanded and got 10 0z gloves instead of 8 oz.  I believe Vargas might have knocked Oscar out in the first three or four rounds with 8 oz.

But that did not happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Oscar demanded and got 10 0z gloves instead of 8 oz.  I believe Vargas might have knocked Oscar out in the first three or four rounds with 8 oz.

But that did not happen.
View Quote

on that note, you think Vargas would have faired any better if Oscar's cup wasn't so high?Jim seemed to mention it every chance he got but i dont see how it woulda changed anything.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:48:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that did not happen.
View Quote

on that note, you think Vargas would have faired any better if Oscar's cup wasn't so high?Jim seemed to mention it every chance he got but i dont see how it woulda changed anything.
View Quote

Agreed.  The cup wouldn't have changed anything.

Foreman kinda shot Jim down on the cup deal.

I knew Vargas was hurt at the end of the 10th but didn't realize the guy was gone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#8]
How did everybody have the fight scored?  The woman judge had it scored 97-94 for Vargas.  What the hell fight was she watching.  The other two had id 96-94 for De La Hoya, which I thought was fair.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It's nice to see Vargas get his head punched in!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did everybody have the fight scored?  The woman judge had it scored 97-94 for Vargas.  What the hell fight was she watching.  The other two had id 96-94 for De La Hoya, which I thought was fair.
View Quote

I too thought the fight was 96-94.  If no knockout in the 11th the fight would have gone into the 12th with Vargas needing a knock-out to win.  LOL

97-94 Vargas was simply not believable.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Oscar should fight Vernon Forrest, would love to see it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The woman's score was just total bs, the other two's were closer but i think Oscar was still a point farther ahead than they had it.

The announcers commented that the judges were inexperienced which begs the question as to why they would use them in a fight of this caliber???

Oh well, the better man won reguardless.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:23:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It was a damn good fight. It was interesting to see how well spoken Oscar was in the post fight interview. He seems like just a normal guy... with a hundred million in the bank.  Must be nice.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh, did anyone else notice the guy in De La Hoya's corner that was wearing the SEALS emblem on his collar?  You can see it if you watch the post fight interview closely.  Personal security perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I missed the fight, any idea when it may be re-aired ???
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably this coming Saturday on HBO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#17]
TKO my ass!,if they hadn't have stopped it it would have been second degree manslaughter!

He got just what he needed,great fight!

You throw enough of those left jabs,like oscar does then your left is going to get really strong!   Plus he is like Ali was to his weight group,a natural !     Only way vargas could have won is if he could have keep oscar on the ropes,for 12 rounds!   Nice to see someone with class,and style and boxing skills win over a loud mouth brute!

I taped it to give to my son-in-law!

Bob   [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oscar should fight Vernon Forrest, would love to see it.
View Quote

I'm a fan of oscar,but the viper would hurt him.

All the top fighters has duck him for years until mosley got his ass whooped.

WTF was the ref doing when vargas push him down in the 1st round and hit oscar while oscar's left hand was on the ground.Rule book states a boxer is down when a glove touchs the floor.

Boxing is getting(or already)way out of hand when payoffs.

THIS WAS A GREAT FIGHT.
NOW TWO BAD BOYS LOSES AFTER YEARS OF SHIT TALKING.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#19]
That left hand was beautiful.

BTW i won $100 i beat oscar would win by KO

BUt missed the bigpay by choosing 8TH round as that round.DAMNIT
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Agreed- excellent fight! Finally, a bout that lived up to it's hype. Oscar is a friggen surgeon with his punches. Slowly taking away the punching power of Vargas with a steady barrage. Who says Oscar doesn't  have power? I wonder why you guys are so hard on Vargas? He's a damn good fighter, and he still hasn't reach full maturity. Vargas is only 24. He has never ducked anyone, and will no doubt treat this as another learning experience. We will see him again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:53:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Agreed- excellent fight! Finally, a bout that lived up to it's hype. Oscar is a friggen surgeon with his punches. Slowly taking away the punching power of Vargas with a steady barrage. Who says Oscar doesn't  have power? I wonder why you guys are so hard on Vargas? He's a damn good fighter, and he still hasn't reach full maturity. Vargas is only 24. He has never ducked anyone, and will no doubt treat this as another learning experience. We will see him again.
View Quote

Agreed agreed but at this age you are what you are,the only thing I disagree with is Oscar (friendly type)of mentioning Trinidad,as when you retire is stickily up to you,and if he pisses off Trinidad and he comes back it will be because he would want to prove the same point that Oscar wanted to prove!

And he has and can beat Oscar!

Bob   [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top