Page / 2
Posted: 7/16/2002 10:53:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Key West is about 8 hours from Orlando.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
mojo,

Gotta watch out for the poot shooters in KW.  Ooops, did I say poot shooters....that's so politicaly incorect, what I meant to say is watch out for the dirt burglars. Thats much better.
[;)]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:18:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Universal's Islands of Adventure.  If you like roller coasters, Hulk is the one to ride.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[B]
Quoted:
mojo,

..poot shooters....
[;)]
View Quote
[/B]

OK, bro.  Explain please.

Osprey21--thanks for the website.

Any areas  should I avoid? Either in Orlando or along the way to Key West?  Eight hrs?  Is it worth the drive?  Thanks..Please keep them coming..
View Quote

He means that Key West is full of FAGS. If you are into "alternative lifestyles" then Key West is a great place to go.

The more used terms that are similar to his are "poop shoot" and "turd burglars".

Key west isn't all gay. The Keys are a great place to go. I have rented a house ther for a week or camped or stayed in a motel. Had fun every time there. Basicly if you stay down towards the Hogs Breath Saloon on Duval St you will be OK. Just watch for those "Rainbow flags"
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Key West is a great place to go if you're single or alone with your significant other.  With kids, it's a different story.  KW is a [i]PARTY[/i]  town.  Now, there are other nice places in the lower Keys that are family-friendly, but Key West is not really family-oriented.

Nice place, though.  If I thought I could make a living down there, I'd be living in the Conch Republic (lower Keys).

One place you might like to take a day trip to is the Kennedy Space Center.  It's not that far a drive from Orlando, (maybe an hour) and if you're interested in the space program at all, it's fascinating.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:36:53 PM EDT
[#8]
We just went in June.

1. Avoid the Howard Johnson Suites on International Drive.  It's a toilet.

2. If you will be doing all 4 Disney theme parks, then you won't have time for anything else if you only have 4 days in Orlando. You might want to skip the "Animal Adventure" part of Disney and go "Islands of Adventure" like Dukota says.

3. Avoid "Arabian Nights" like the plague.  In the post 9/11 fear of anything Arab, they have chopped up the show into an unintelligible series of horse stunts.  Try the Pirate Theater instead and let me know how it was.

To the tune of "It's A Small World"

"It's a broke world after all...
It's a store of junk
and a world of tears.
It's a park full of crap
and they don't serve beers.
There's so much there to buy,
so the kids, they won't cry--
It's a broke world after all....."

Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
As mentioned, the Space Center is cool & not too expensive. Daytona Beach is about 1.5 hrs up I-4. Drive onto the beach & play/picnic from the car. There are numerous fresh water springs that you can visit & swim at. Busch Gardens is in Tampa probably 1-2 hours from Orlando. Ocala National Forest is 1hr north. St. Augustine is 2-3 hours northeast. You could take the kids to see McUzi.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like St. Petersburg Beach, to the west.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:04:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#16]
OK, here goes...

In Orlando, stay the hell away from anything on International Drive. Way too crowded and full of kids and cheesy T-shirt shops and bad restaurants and hotels. Try and find something in Kissimmee. Believe it or not, you can find some decent hotels fairly cheap right near the main Disney parks. BTW, expect loooonnnnggggg liiiinnnneeeessss at any of the theme parks in August. I have stayed several times at a Holiday Inn and a Hilton on SR436 right near Universal Studios and they are both nice.

As far as Key West, its a party town, plain & simple. No beaches and lots of bars. It's 4 hours from Miami and about 8 from the Disney area. If you like beaches, Cocoa is close and has good beaches plus the Space Center (really cool) Daytona is about an hour or so from Orlando, but if you like beaches and want to head south, get out of Orlando on the BeeLine, take SR520 to I-95 (right near Cocoa, about an hour from Orlando) and head south on I-95. You will hit the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area in about 3 hours, killer beaches everywhere. Keep going south to the Upper Keys (Islamorada & Key Largo) and you will experience everything "Keys-ee" except the drunken fags in KW looking over your kids.

Or leave Orlando/Kissimmee and head south on SR92 to US 27 and run down the middle of small-town Florida. Some really beautiful spots along the way. If you are travelling this way on a Sunday, a "must-stop" is the Clewiston Inn for the all you can eat Southern style Sunday Brunch. Keep running south on 27 and it will put you into the west side of the Miami/ Ft. Laud are and right smack on the edge of the Everglades.

IMO, spend as little time and money in Orlando as possible, unless you have little kids. There are much better places to have fun in Florida.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
If you want a great, lightly visited beach, I strongly recommend Playalinda.  It's right next to the Kennedy Space Center.  No massive throngs of tourists because most people don't know it's there.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#18]
 If traveling to Orlando, make sure and bring money for the toll booth Nazi's that guard all the main roads leading into Orlando.

I seriously thought about living in Orlando but I didn't want to have to get a second job to pay for the toll roads so I could get to my first job!

Disney is OK if you have kids. Remember, it all started with a mouse! You might want to check about staying inside the park at the hotels there. It was a little more expensive but it gave us alot more time for fun. The traffic getting in sucks. So that was one less thing we had to worry about every day. Definitely worth the extra money in my book!

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
There is always South Beach to check out. I was there 2 weeks ago. I was in Ft. Lauderdale for a Sig armorers course. There is a lot of road construction on S. Beach, but going back to some of my old haunts from DEA school was worth it.
In Dania, there is the Islemordia (sp?) fish company. It is attached to the Bass Pro shop, one helluva lot of sporting goods. Neat place for the kids to see.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:28:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#21]
If you do the space center thing, look me up. You never know when you might need a gun brother in the area.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:30:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Being a resident for years the things that I would recommend would be:

1) When you are in the attractions area, dont miss seeing Cirque de Soliel on the downtown disney property.
2) After you have had enough of waiting in lines at the theme parks and you head up to Daytona for some beach time....drive up another hour or so and see St. Augustine, one of the oldest cities in the United States.
3) If you want a half a day activity that is totally Florida, check out Gatorland over near Kissimee. The little wife an I love to smuggle in a couple pounds of raw chicken in a back pack and feed the gators in the breeding marsh area in the back of the park. There are 300+ gators that will go into a frenzy for some cheap chicken parts. (We take some disposable gloves to handle the chicken so we can toss em in the garbage when we are done and have clean hands). Other guests marvel at how much more the gators love raw chicken than the $1.00 frozen fish they sell patrons to feed the gators. It is quite a rush to be able to feed 300+ gators from a pier about 4 feet over the water.
4) The Kennedy Space center is awesome, dont pass it up.

Perhaps check out www.orlandoweekly.com for the latest events and goings on in the city

>>>>>>For some good chow in Orlando, you may wanna try:
-Emerils  on the universal property for dinner one night. Service is awesome and the food is tasty.
-For a light meal one of the fun places we enjoy is Cafe Tu Tu Tango. They serve exclusively appitizers "family style" so everyone can try each dish.
-Japanese sytle we have had great meals at Mikados at the Mariott world center.
-Steak, you cant beat Del Frisco's, kinda pricey....but incredible.
-For a great view of the orlando skyline Lee's Lakeside is awesome for steak and seafood. It was voted the most romantic resteraunt in the city last year.

6) Sarasota has the Ringling Brothers Circus museum and circus headquarters. There is also a very nice aquarium in that area as well.

Have a great time!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:36:00 PM EDT
[#24]
As for SHTF....there are lots of armed good guys down here. You can count on us. Holler if you need us.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#25]
If it were me, I would stay on the Disney World Resort itself.  They have cheaper hotels and really expensive hotels.  I would spent most of my time at Disneyworld, at the Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, MGM, and the excellent water parks.  There is also great food to be had at WDW.  One thing I like to do there is get up early and hit the earliest opening park, then leave around 11AM for a huge brunch at a park hotel.  Then off to another park for a while, then a water park, then a nice dinner, then one last park.  My wife refers to this plan as "Disney Death March".

Check out this site:

[url]www.mousesavers.com[/url]

GunLvr

Link Posted: 7/16/2002 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Mojo, Don't consider the keys an option. Key
West has no beach and the place has been going
downhill for some time now. Stay up in central/north florida if you can. Once you
head south on the turnpike, everything gets ugly. If you guys like water, the canoeing/tubing is great this time of year. You
can go tubing up around gainesville
(2hrs north) or go down to arcadia and go
canoeing (1hr south). Both are fun. The Space
Center/beach idea is good. The east coast water
is better than the west coast water. The Gulf of
Mexico smells funny. No real reason for you guys
to come down to the southeast area. The place is
just endless miles of single story commerical buildings with gas stations and publix's. To tell you the truth, I don't think any of the
florida boys here would recommend you stay in our state for 8days. Way too long in my opinion. There just isn't that much to do. Most people down east are looking for a way out!
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#28]
As a Florida native.

I always liked the beaches near St Augustine best on the East coast.  The Gulf Coast beaches are less populated.  My favorite place to go is the Marriott Resort on Marco Island.

Disney is OK if you have kids. Orlando is getting very congested.  Don't stay on I-Drive.  Too many people.

I have always loved the Keys.  Anything south of the the 7 Mile Bridge is great for fishing and easy living.  Key West is a must to visit at least once.  KW is mostly for adults.

In the summer be prepared for very hot weather with terrific thunderstorms in the afternoon.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a passport from the Conch Republic (Key West) that was issued after they seceded from the United States.  Apparently it was because the Feds in their infinite wisdom closed down the highway.

Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 7/16/2002 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:55:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you want a great, lightly visited beach, I strongly recommend Playalinda.  It's right next to the Kennedy Space Center.  No massive throngs of tourists because most people don't know it's there.
View Quote

Playalinda is indeed beautiful and remote, but isn't it stll "clothing optional?"
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:30:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Thanks guys, you guys are kicking ass.
 So far:
 We (5 people) intend to stay in Orlando for 4 or 5 days:  Plan to stay at Comfort Inn and Suites for $69.00/day +tax (12%). Plan to go: Island of Adventures, and tossed up between the other parks, i.e..MGM, Universal Studio FL, Magic Kingdom,....
 One day to Space Center/and beach (if enough time).  Other two of 3 days?.....Don't know yet.  This will be 8 days trip.  

More inputs, more inputs!!!![:D]
View Quote

Is that the Comfort Inn & Suites on TurkeyLake Road?  If so, we just stayed there! It's perfectly located.  The facility is not new, but the people are nice and there's a pool by the bar [:D]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:57:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Playalinda is indeed beautiful and remote, but isn't it stll "clothing optional?"
View Quote
As I understand it, only part of it is.  The rest is not.  Still, you're right, you run the risk of seeing some anatomy that you might not want the kiddies exposed to.  Forgot about that.

I grew up in Titusville.  Playalinda was kinda "clothing optional" back then (a lot of people tended to shed their clothes in the 60's and early 70's without much provocation) but it was basically a family beach.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:03:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:45:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Another brother in arms here in the Tampa-St. Pete area if you need me...

A word to the wise from a native Floridian: avoid Clewiston, Belle Glade, and Pahokee like the plague after dark...you'll be glad you did.  

As for carry, you may carry a loaded pistol(s) in your car, provided that they are "securely encased."  This means that the weapon(s) is/are either zippered in a gun case, in a glove compartment or center console compartment, or snapped in a holster and out of plain view.  

Keep the guns out of plain view and securely encased, and you're in good shape.  There is also no problem with carrying pepper spray/OC spray on your person.  

A small knife (under a 3" blade preferably) may also be carried, provided it is a "common pocket knife," and not designed specifically as a weapon. (this is very very vague, and confuses many attorneys here in FL, so stay on the safe side with this one)  

Any other questions or concerns on the legal aspects of carrying here in FL, please email me.  Have fun and stay safe!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Ditto on checking out [url]www.mousesavers.com[/url]. Saved me a bunch when I took the family down last February, plus has lots of good advice on the Orlando area. Have fun.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Was just at Orlando on the 4th of July weekend with my family. I know your plans are set and it sounds good BTW.
FWIW - we stayed at one of the Disney Sports Theme Hotels(nothing to write home about - kewl pool though)for about $70+ a night.
We did the discoverycove dolphin thing(www.discoverycove.com) and my kids really loved it. Kinda pricey but it did come with a 7 day free pass to seaworld which you had to use right there(ie you cant come back and use it later).
Having been to Disney etc. several times Seaworld was a nice change of pace. Get there early enough and you can pretty much ride the limited rides without any wait(wait times at disney is just terrible some times), see all the seal, dolphin and whale shows without any lines whatsoever. They also have a pretty decent fireworks show at night.
Didnt see any obvious detectors at the gates or no-carry signs, only a bunch of guys with sticks poking at handbags, no frisking - so carry should be okay with a res/non-res permit ofcourse.
Best,DD
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Mojo:

I live in Deltona, north of Orlando and work for a (ahem) large entertainment company in Orlando that will remain nameless.  I cannot get you into parks for free, but I will give you my .02 as a Central Florida resident since 1983.

1.  Don't park yourself to death.  Pick a Disney park for one day and Islands of Adventure for another.  After 2 days of the passive entertainment treatment, you will be ready for the looney bin.

2.  Enjoy some of the "real" Florida.  Blue Springs park in Orange City or Wekiva Springs Park near Longwood are safe bets.

3.  If you want to do the beach thing, go where the locals go.  New Smyrna Beach is a few miles south of Daytona.  It is much cleaner and you can avoid the sleaze and tattoo parlors that way.  There is, of course, a time and place for such things, but vacation with your family is NOT it.

4.  I can highly second the vote for St. Augustine.  I spent my honeymoon there and my wife and I return for weekend getaways as often as we can.  Excellent restaraunts, shops, museums, and the old Spanish Fort is very cool.

5.  Bullfrog sunscreen.  Live by this stuff.  All the others NO LONGER EXIST as far as I am concerned.  You owe it to your family to cover them before they go out each morning.  Sun poisoning will exponentially raise the risk of skin cancer later in life.  Even one incident.  Don't let pain, blisters, and skin damage be a part of your vacation memories.

If you need a friend who will drop everything to come and help, drop me an email and I will give you my phone number.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Mojo,

As a fifth generation Floridian, growing up in north Florida. I wish that you would reconsider your trip to Micky Land!  Its a trap run by a mouse to take your money. That is not the real Florida.

Some of the other posters have mentioned the St. Augustine area.  I would recommend it for two days.  Stay on the beach, see the fort and tour the old city, rent some jet skis.  kick back and enjoy life....A killer camp groun would be the (sp) Anasias State Park.  They have a no drive beach (good for the kids) a place to rent windsurfers, kayaks, and small sail boats.

You need to spend a day at a spring...about 30 miles west of Gainesville is the ichtucknee springs.  this is a state park....get there early and rent some intertubes and have a blast floating down the ichtucknee river.  The float trip is about three hours.  the water is always 72 degrees year round.  The hotter the air the colder the water will feel. When you first jump in (and I do mean JUMP) you will think that you  are in ICE water.  You will get used to it in no time. they have shuttles that will take you back to your car...this is one of the best parts of Florida....if this one does not work there are 50+ springs in north centeral Florida to check out....camp at Jeannie springs in Highsprings (they have four or five springs right next to each other) a good camp ground....

The key west trip is a good one....you would need to like snorkeling and the water thing...I would recommend the "banana Bay Marina & Resort in marathon" and just do a day trip into key west.  do a snorkeling trip at camp pentionion(sp) on islamorida and visit the summboro reef at marathon.. there are a bunch of charters just set up for the snorkeling.  

The neat thing about the key's is that you feel like you are in the islands, but you have your car..

To do all three (North Florida, Micky Town, and the Keys) would be a wirl win trip. I recomend that you plan you vacation around water, It is very hot in the summer in Florida.

I hopes this info helps.

edited to add more stuff.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:45:18 PM EDT
[#44]
You're welcome.  I wasn't born in Florida, but I spent most of my formative years there, and if any place other than where I live now is "home," that's it.  But man, it's changed a lot since I left in '74.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Mojo,

Hey, bro.  If you are going to be out of town for a week or more, wouldn't you feel better leaving all those pretty firearms with me?  Maybe they need a vacation as well?

I would love them, and pet them, and shower them with CLP everyday!

TheRedGoat
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#46]
One suggestion.  Don't buy any tickets in advance or from any of the places advertising on the highway......Best prices for tickets for almost anything in Orlando are the ticket brokers (little booths kinda like a moto-photo) along International drive and other places like that.  You'll get the BEST prices and with a little bit of haggling, do even better than their initial prices.  Don't be afraid to make a deal with the brokers, they know they have competition and will do almost anything to avoid having you drive away after stopping and talking to them.  I usually get them to throw in a few dinner show tickets when I buy some day passes for Disney or Seaworld or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I live 60 miles exactly West of O-town.
I go there often. They have great gun shows.

Orlando is cool. I suggest you stay in the Lake Beuna Vista area. It is about 6 miles from Universal and Islands of Adventure. My wife likes that better than Disney.
Four miles from Sea World.
Five miles from all four of the Disney parks.
50 miles from Cocoa Beach( Big thumbs UP, Ron Jon)
60 miles from Busch Garden and Adventure Island.

I-Drive has all the Outlet malls and Outdoor World. Also a bunch of pasty white tourists.

Don't forget Church Street in downtown Orlando.

There is more than you can do in a week in Orlando, Florida.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm a native from Orlando who got the hell out last year.My dad still works at Disney and I worked for the rat also.Because my Dad works there I've been going to Disney for free the past 30 years.Here's the real scoop-

Unless you are a native of the Amazon you will never sweat as much as you will in Florida,in August,standing in line at Disney.You WILL stand in line in August,you will be miserable,TRUST ME!

As stated,you can stay at one of the cheaper Disney hotels for $70 or so such as the All Star Resort.You definitely want to do this if you're going to be there for 3 nights or more.The reason is they'll be no driving on you're part until you pack up and are ready to leave.You can use a free Disney bus,tram or monorail to go anywhere you want.

I recommend you take the kids to one of the springs.Nothing like 70 degree water on a 100 degree day.In Orlando there's Wekiva Springs and Rock Springs.Just north of Orlando is Blue Springs.All are great.If you go there on a weekend get there early(8-10)as they close due to full capacity sometimes.

The Space Center is cool along with Gatorland.Playlinda beach is great but a part of it can be nude.It's actually a Federal beach and it depends if the Feds are in a crackdown mode or not.Daytona and New Smyrna are nice beaches 'cause you can drive on them.

St Augustine is really great,the Fort and nice little curio shops but I'm not sure the kids would like it.I mean next to Disney a old fort isn't going to seem real exciting to most kids.The wife would really like the curio/antique shops.

As a native of 45 yrs in Orlando I STRONGLY advise you to come in October or November.On the average in August it will be 95 or higher with very high humidity.The heat index will be 100-105.It will not be enjoyable.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Key West hu?

How do you feel about gay guys a drunks?

Come to think of it.....Orlando hu?

How do you feel about gay guys and drunks?

Come over here to the west side(Tampa Bay-Lee Island cost) of the state,we have needle free beaches and a place to get the hell away from mickey for an hr. or two.

BTW:"Unless you are a native of the Amazon you will never sweat as much as you will in Florida,in August,standing in line at Disney.You WILL stand in line in August,you will be miserable,TRUST ME!"

puss!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#50]
The heat in Orlando is not that terrible.  I was down there around Labor Day weekend one year and it was hot but not unbearable.  Made the pool and water park more enjoyable.  A lot of the SE USA is just as hot--here in DC was have 95 degree humid weather all the time in the summer.  One gym I work out in here has no AC, so when I finish the workout and walk outside 95 feels cool and comfortable.

Good strategy is to go to the parks early when it is cooler and the lines are shorter.  Lots of attractions have good AC.  It would be a good idea to read "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World" by Bob Sehlinger.  Also, one more nice web site:

[url]www.wdwig.com[/url]

GunLvr
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top