Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2001 3:30:49 PM EDT
I was wondering if I was at a Oregon gun show and I wasn't a resident of that state whether or not I would be able to buy a gun and bring it home with me?  Any info on buying guns at gun shows would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 3:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a handgun
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know, you can buy a rifle anywhere in the U.S. and bring it back home. Now, since you can't bring in any AW's to California, you have to remove the features that make it an assault weapon, but then someone raised the point once that if it's listed in the Assault Weapons Identification Guide, it's still illegal to bring in (not sure on that, if it's AW features are not present). There are some firearms that need to be registered when brought into California (Handguns and AW's for sure).  And in reference to 1Gunnrunner's comment, I believe it's Federal law that states you can only purchase (directly-in person) a handgun in the state of your residence.  Although you can make a purchase through dealers across state lines through an FFL in your state.  I'm sure someone else has the info if I am wrong anywhere. Just read the DOJ reg's. They are online for all states as far as I know.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe in some states an individual can still do private transfers (buy a rifle without paperwork at a garage sale for example) of rifles. It used to be that way in Texas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Oregon just passed a ballot measure requiring background checks for gun show purchases.  And the only way you can get through that is with proof of residency.  Must be some of that Kommiefornia crap leaking through up there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think Oregon just passed a ballot measure requiring background checks for gun show purchases.  And the only way you can get through that is with proof of residency.  Must be some of that Kommiefornia crap leaking through up there.
View Quote

Yes they did. Spill-over from a school shooting a couple of years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top