Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 8:35:12 AM EDT
State legislators are getting nailed big-time for this. When reporters ask legislators what the economic impact of this is, they say they never considered that. It is expected to cost employers billions in sick days.

As far as stopping meth, the guys making it simply drive to Vancouver Washington, 10 minutes from Portland, to buy cold medicine by the case, or the buy it from the Internet.

This is what happens when you let liberals run the show. The meth problem is bigger than ever before, and everyone gets sick.

Link

Quote:
Oregon Passes Law on Cold Medicine

July 31, 2005 11:58 a.m. EST

Douglas Maher - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Portland, Oregon (AHN) - Legislators in Oregon passed the first law in the nation Saturday that would require doctors to write a prescription for cold medicine that contain an active ingredient that could be made into methamphetamine.

We hope this will reduce the supply" of meth, Democratic state Sen. Ginny Burdick told Reuters.

The legislation had widespread support but there were just as many detractors as well, mainly citizens without health insurance who can not afford to visit a doctor if they had a cold to get a prescription.

Drug stores nationwide are already pulling cold medicines off of shelves due to rampant abuse by teenagers using the over the counter medicines to get high.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:45:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ring:
We hope this will reduce the supply" of meth, Democratic state Sen. Ginny Burdick told Reuters.

This is the same dumb bitch that tried to introduce an AWB into Oregon law this year. I hope she gets cancer and rots from the inside.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:49:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tReznr:

This is the same dumb bitch that tried to introduce an AWB into Oregon law this year. I hope she gets cancer and rots from the inside.

She gives politicians a bad name.

The libs are definitely in control here.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:51:24 AM EDT
They are pushing that everywhere, someone will come up with another version of cooking meth.

Why dont you go bust that guy we have reported for cooking meth several times in the last few years, they have even busted him for it before but they wont even bother him now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:53:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taxman:
They are pushing that everywhere, someone will come up with another version of cooking meth.

Why dont you go bust that guy we have reported for cooking meth several times in the last few years, they have even busted him for it before but they wont even bother him now.

He has probably finally found the right person to pay off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:54:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

Originally Posted By Taxman:

He has probably finally found the right person to pay off.

I think its more of the just dont give a damn.

I can tell you several good stories about how around here they dont even try.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:57:02 AM EDT
OK #1, that's like banning guns to decrease crime. It has the opposite effect.

#2, All it will do it make Meth more expensive, and thus more desirable. If it does that, because hello... you can easily get the ingredients elsewhere.

Ah.

I think around here they were (did?) going to ban spray paint. Hehe. Oh yeah... spray paint. Because the gangs were putting their "art" on everything. It might have been an age thing, like show your ID to buy the paint. Bah.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:59:48 AM EDT
it's not banned, you just need a prescription. Sad when a few bad apples spoils it for everybody, but I never buy cold medicine and dont really give a rats ass how hard they make it to get
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:01:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
it's not banned, you just need a prescription. Sad when a few bad apples spoils it for everybody, but I never buy cold medicine and dont really give a rats ass how hard they make it to get

Sounds like trying to get a syringe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT by TheCynic]

eta: Incrementalism...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:04:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheCynic:

I refuse to get upset by minor things anymore, life's too short
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:08:56 AM EDT
-Hands over eyes-

"Nothing bad is happening! Nothing bad is happening!"

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:10:17 AM EDT
Several years ago my wife had kidney stones and was prescribed oxycodone. Without it or something like it, she would have been in agony. About that time some little cretin crushed one and snorted it or something and died. Our then dumb-ass gov Don Siegelman came on the air with the distraught mother of said ute and declared it should be banned. What a dick. After being tossed and almost indicted (no way with fed judge U W Clemons on the job) he's trying to get back in the saddle.

I think if the govs going to do anything they should manufacture meth by the tons and put a big rock candy mountain every 5 miles on the interstate- free for the taking. Supercharge it and thin the herd.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:11:55 AM EDT

Oh yeah? I heard they're thinking of banning homebrewing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:14:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:
Several years ago my wife had kidney stones and was prescribed oxycodone. Without it or something like it, she would have been in agony. About that time some little cretin crushed one and snorted it or something and died. Our then dumb-ass gov Don Siegelman came on the air with the distraught mother of said ute and declared it should be banned. What a dick. After being tossed and almost indicted (no way with fed judge U W Clemons on the job) he's trying to get back in the saddle.

I think if the govs going to do anything they should manufacture meth by the tons and put a big rock candy mountain every 5 miles on the interstate- free for the taking. Supercharge it and thin the herd.

You on hurting now they dont normally give you anything, except for the medicaid crowd, seem mutiple people on medicaid get 90+ 40mg Oxycontin a month, sale for $20+ each, they live great with that money.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:15:22 AM EDT

I never use Diesel, I don't care how hard they make it to get.
I don't plan on buying a .50 BMG, I don't care how hard they make it to get.
I never talk on cell phones, I don't care if they ban them completely.
I don't have high speed internet, I don't care how many controls and taxes they put on it.

Get the picture?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:16:00 AM EDT
Higher medical bills, lower productivity, and rampant postnasal drip. Brought to you by the War on Drugs. Let's just cut to the chase and condense it all to one law: "All things not mandatory are forbidden. Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis."
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:17:36 AM EDT

Link

Where's the link? I'd like to send it to a friend who always wants to verify info like this.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:18:53 AM EDT

Well, one day it will be something you don't think is minor, but others will (maybe buying more than a six pack of beer at a time). Then, we'll see how you like it. I don't cook meth, not even on TV. But, while in Costco with the flu once, I tried to by both nyquil and dayquil. They said I could only buy one because of federal law to curb meth production. This is because at Costco the product is bundle with two bottles. So, I got pissed and only bought the nyquil, went home, drugged up and slept. If you have a product on the open shelves, it should be open for what ever purchase quantity consumption buy the consumer.

The other poster is right, its incrementalism, which is a death of a thousand cuts. You should be pissed because this is an excuse for the courts/law enforcement lack of ability to deal with the standard crime situation.

Your apathy is duly noted.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:21:59 AM EDT

As far as stopping meth, the guys making it simply drive to Vancouver Washington, 10 minutes from Portland, to buy cold medicine by the case, or the buy it from the Internet.

By the case? I can tell you this part isnt true.

Link

Consumers would have to show a photo ID, sign a log, and be limited to 7.5 grams — or about 250 30-milligram pills — in a 30-day period.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:24:23 AM EDT
So much for stocking up if its onsale.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:31:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/3/2005 9:32:12 AM EDT by Gloftoe]

How is this a "minor" thing?

I wake up with a clogged head, decide I need some Sudafed. I realize I have none in the house, so I go to CVS/Walgreens/HEB/Kroger/wherever and get some. Take two, feel better in an hour or so.

Now, if you live in Oregon and need to get some Sudafed because you woke up with a clogged head, you have to call your doctor, set up an appointment(more than likely NOT for that day), GO to the doctor, pay your copay or whatever, THEN go to the pharmacy and get your prescription.

Yep, that's a minor thing.

Instead of banning OTC cold medicine, how about providing stiffer penalties for meth users and cookers?
Instead of banning guns and ammo, how about proficing stiffer penalties for criminals?

Sound familiar?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:31:42 AM EDT
The cookers will just smuggle it in from Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:33:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rxdawg:

or buy it over the internet.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:33:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rxdawg:

This will hurt the small time people, wont hurt the big ones. I dont see the people making pounds a day using sudafed they buy at Walmart.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:41:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By callgood:

Oh yeah? I heard they're thinking of banning homebrewing.

Now that would suck!

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Torf:

I never use Diesel, I don't care how hard they make it to get.
I don't plan on buying a .50 BMG, I don't care how hard they make it to get.
I never talk on cell phones, I don't care if they ban them completely.
I don't have high speed internet, I don't care how many controls and taxes they put on it.

Get the picture?

"the guys making it simply drive to Vancouver Washington, 10 minutes from Portland, to buy cold medicine by the case, or the buy it from the Internet."

It's 10 minutes away! Not that big a deal.
Top Top