Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 6:19:29 PM EST
www.komotv.com/stories/31127.htm

Oregon Man Arrested In Connection To Madrid Bombings

May 6, 2004

By KOMO Staff & News Services

WASHINGTON, D.C. - A Portland, Ore., man was arrested by FBI agents Thursday as part of the investigation into the deadly train bombings in Spain, federal officials said.

The unidentified man, a U.S. citizen, was taken into custody on a material witness warrant, said a senior law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity. The arrest is the first known in the United States with connections to the March 11 bombings in Madrid.

The FBI also searched the man's home, which he shares with his wife, the official said.

Beth Anne Steele, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Portland, confirmed two search warrants had been served Thursday in Washington County, which includes parts of Portland. She would not release further details.

Sue Rutledge, of the U.S. Attorney's Office in Portland, said the warrants were served in the cities of Portland and Beaverton. She could not comment about whether the warrants were connected to the train bombings in Madrid, or whether there had been any arrests.

Material witness warrants, usually kept confidential by a federal judge, are used by the government to hold people suspected of having direct knowledge about a crime or to allow time for further investigation into the witness.

Officials would not provide any further details about the man or his alleged connection with the Madrid bombings, which killed 191 people and injured 2,000 others. Spanish authorities blame the attack on Islamic extremists, possibly linked to al-Qaida.

Eighteen people have been charged to date in Spain - six charged with mass murder and the others with collaboration or with belonging to a terrorist organization. The FBI and other U.S. agencies have warned that al-Qaida or its sympathizers might attempt to attack mass transit systems in major U.S. cities this summer.

Earlier this year, in Portland, the last of six men and a woman were sentenced on charges of conspiring to wage war against the United States by helping al-Qaida and the former Taliban rulers of Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:21:21 PM EST
Most weird shit is connected to Oregon in some way.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:21:36 PM EST
It's Some Fuck Lawyer that represented Arab Terrorists.

We need to make sure he gets a fair trial with no chance of death penalty, you know!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:19:35 AM EST
The enemy within.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:21:10 AM EST
I will happily bet with anyone here that his wife turns out to be a bhurka wearing mulsim.

WHat do you say, to 25k per person / per bet? Any takers? Quick.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:36:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By hielo:
I will happily bet with anyone here that his wife turns out to be a bhurka wearing mulsim.

I'll take that bet.

look - no burka on Mona (although I guess she may be a muslim)

my PayPal address is langfred@olin.wustl.edu - I'll be waiting for the 25K
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:37:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

I'll take that bet.

katu.com/news/images/story2004/040506mayfield_family_422.jpg

We are on! Now we just wait for some verification, I trust you Claus, but if there is anyone you wouldl ike to hold the money until verification, I will happily courier it over to them. Let me know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:39:23 AM EST

I'll take that bet.

We are on! Now we just wait for some verification, I trust you Claus, but if there is anyone you wouldl ike to hold the money until verification, I will happily courier it over to them. Let me know.

No no - you don't understand. I'm saying I've ALREADY WON the bet, since she is clearly not wearing a burkha in that picture

I'm not betting that she's not a muslim - you're probably right about that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:40:50 AM EST

I'll take that bet.

No no - you don't understand. I'm saying I've ALREADY WON the bet, since she is clearly not wearing a burkha in that picture

Ok, you are conceding that she is a muslim (score one for me), now we jsut have to see if she wears a Bhurka. That is awaiting verification (one picture of unknown origin does not constitute proof).

But glad that you are game, very few people here are.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:43:41 AM EST

I'll take that bet.

Ok, you are conceding that she is a muslim (score one for me), now we jsut have to see if she wears a Bhurka. That is awaiting verification (one picture of unknown origin does not constitute proof).

You're not listening.

I'm NOT bettting that she is not a muslim. She probably is a muslim - that would be a stupid bet and I have no interest in taking it.

I was poking fun at you for the specific "BURKHA-wearing muslim" comment - and provided a picture of her not wearing a Burkha.

I'm not a betting man, so it's not something I would do in any event. Even if you THOUGHT we had some sort of bet going , and you lost and tried to send me money I wouldn't take it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:46:07 AM EST

I'll take that bet.

You're not listening.

I'm NOT bettting that she is not a muslim. She probably is a muslim - that would be a stupid bet and I have no interest in taking it.

I was poking fun at you for the specific "BURKHA-wearing muslim" comment - and provided a picture of her not wearing a Burkha.

I'm not a betting man, so it's not something I would do in any event. Even if you THOUGHT we had some sort of bet going , and you lost and tried to send me money I wouldn't take it.

Uh, are you really from Ireland?

So you are trying to tell me you really don't want to follow through on this agreement?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:46:57 AM EST
Just to add - this is precisely why I'm not a betting man - especially among friends - because it can so easily get confusing and ambiguous as to what exactly the bet is! And that can ruin friendships as quickly as lending money can.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:48:29 AM EST

Just to add - this is precisely why I'm not a betting man - especially among friends - because it can so easily get confusing and ambiguous as to what exactly the bet is! And that can ruin friendships as quickly as lending money can.

Fair enough, I haven't had a good bet in a while. (Shorting stocks doesn't count)

Got me excited though!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:58:47 AM EST

Fair enough, I haven't had a good bet in a while. (Shorting stocks doesn't count)

Got me excited though!

It's my own fault - every time I forget a smiley, I get people pissed at me.

I should have been much more clear that I was just picking specifically on your "Burkha" comment, and disproving it - which of course is ridiculous in itself, because one picture of her NOT wearing a burkha doesn't necessarily prove that she doesn't occasioanlly wear one. It also raises the question of what EXACTLY the bet woudl have been about - what qualifies as "burkha-wearing?" - wearing a burkha once? wearing a burkha ocassionally? finding one picture of her in a burkha? having somone cleaim they've seen her in a burkha?

Even if I were a betting man (and my fiancee wouldn't rip my testicles off if I did bet that much money), the bet would have to be precisely specified before I would get into it.

As I said - had you replied to my joke by saying "holy crap - I guess she's not wearing a burkha - your 25K will be there in the morning, DK-Prof" I would have felt really bad and NEVER accepted your money.

Just for my own curiosity - what exactly did you mean with your bet (if someone were actualyl going to take it)? Did you just mean that she was a muslim?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:44:07 AM EST

Got me excited though!

It's my own fault - every time I forget a smiley, I get people pissed at me.

I should have been much more clear that I was just picking specifically on your "Burkha" comment, and disproving it - which of course is ridiculous in itself, because one picture of her NOT wearing a burkha doesn't necessarily prove that she doesn't occasioanlly wear one. It also raises the question of what EXACTLY the bet woudl have been about - what qualifies as "burkha-wearing?" - wearing a burkha once? wearing a burkha ocassionally? finding one picture of her in a burkha? having somone cleaim they've seen her in a burkha?

Even if I were a betting man (and my fiancee wouldn't rip my testicles off if I did bet that much money), the bet would have to be precisely specified before I would get into it.

As I said - had you replied to my joke by saying "holy crap - I guess she's not wearing a burkha - your 25K will be there in the morning, DK-Prof" I would have felt really bad and NEVER accepted your money.

Just for my own curiosity - what exactly did you mean with your bet (if someone were actualyl going to take it)? Did you just mean that she was a muslim?

Hmmm, I would gather that my initial post was rather without information in it.

My bet would be that she was Muslim, and that she did wear a bhurka in whatever publicity pictures that we will eventually see of her. You are correct in that we can search and find a picture of her without a bhurka.

At that point, we would have had to decide between ourselves (being two honorable people) if that constituted enough evidence as to her not being a "bhurka wearing" muslim. I would take your judegment on it as being enough evidence for me.

How about a new bet? One on which we can agree as to the terms.

How about, you flip a coin, I will call heads or tail. Loser pays up. 100k bet, interested?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:59:53 AM EST
I'll bet you 25 Ks (as in "KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK" in text form) that this shmuck is a convert of convieneince. He was likely an ousider all his life, disliked by women & not let 'in' by men. Now, he discovers a way for him to have what he wants. He can have an entirely new social life after conversion. He has a new set of friends and he gets a subserviant woman as a loyal wife.

Never understimate the power of a social circle, especially among those desiring to fit in somewhere. He convinced himself to believe...

IMO, this is a big reason why many Christians of low belief, who you call Sunday Christans, still attend services and call themselves god faring. It's a social ritual.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:05:15 AM EST
Let us just hope he does not like AR-15s and frequent a certain militant website.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:08:40 AM EST
It's also important to note that he MAY BE INNOCENT of any crimes. Regardless of what we think of this dork, if he was a lawyer to local nutjob Muslims, his prints could have been obtained harmlessly. OJs lawyers got a murder off, they didn't cut Nicholes throat themselves.
Top Top