Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2011 5:00:45 AM EST
"The Oregon House approved a bill Thursday that would remove legal protection for parents who choose faith healing over medical intervention when treating their children."

"Currently, spiritual treatment can be used as a defense against some* homicide charges."

"The bill has gained the support of several groups, including the Christian Science Church, and passed through legislative committee with unanimous support."

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/bill_ending_faith_healing_exce.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:04:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 5:05:03 AM EST by Another-Bill]
Originally Posted By Troubl3shooter:
"The Oregon House approved a bill Thursday that would remove legal protection for parents who choose faith healing over medical intervention when treating their children."

"Currently, spiritual treatment can be used as a defense against some* homicide charges."

"The bill has gained the support of several groups, including the Christian Science Church, and passed through legislative committee with unanimous support."

http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/bill_ending_faith_healing_exce.html

Lets see, checking the calendar it's 2011. We've been to the moon, check. We have pictures from the surface of Mars, check. And only now we've decided "faith healing" is baloney.
How did we get this far???

Bill
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:26:37 AM EST

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:27:52 AM EST
Why should govt interfere in parenting???
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:28:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By CRC:

Because if they kill their kids they are causing harm to someone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:39:30 AM EST
Originally Posted By TeeRex:

But the parents can still legally kill their children through a process called "abortion."

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:43:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:

But the parents can still legally kill their children through a process called "abortion."

We prosecuted that woman who drowned three of her kids trying to get demons out of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:32:25 AM EST
Originally Posted By Orbital-Burn:

Then I'm guessing that you oppose abortion?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:57:50 AM EST

Criminal negligence is not parenting. I believe in God, but if I get sick, I don't expect him to come down and personally heal me. Some people do believe that bullshit and all it does is kill their kids. God created intelligence, which means God created medicine and doctors. People need to fucking use them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:39:08 AM EST
Cases like this are a mess because of the cases brought to court by Santaria, with their animal sacrifice, and Uniao de Vegetal, with their ayahuasca.

I don't know how far back using religion as a defense for murder goes, but I'm sure that animal sacrifice and hallucinogenics being ok made it at least a logical legal lever.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/14/2011 10:49:24 AM EST by kelone]
Cases like this are a mess because of the cases brought to court by Santaria, with their animal sacrifice, and Uniao de Vegetal, with their ayahuasca.

I don't know how far back using religion as a defense for murder goes, but I'm sure that animal sacrifice and hallucinogenics being ok made it at least a logical legal lever.

Logical legal lever? I don't see any logical way those two cases could be seen as precedent for defense in homicide cases, unless we also have a precedent that moves children into the same legal category as animals.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:29:25 AM EST

Originally Posted By kelone:

Logical legal lever? I don't see any logical way those two cases could be seen as precedent for defense in homicide cases, unless we also have a precedent that moves children into the same legal category as animals.

We let people kill animals and tell the DEA to fuck right off, in the name of religion.

What you're not seeing is that this is a difference of degree, not kind.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:39:59 AM EST
I'm on the fense on this one. I hold people's right to parent their kids a lot higher than what science or government tells us to do. If you think praying for your kid is better than chemo or surgery or radiation, well, I wouldn't say that's a slam dunk issue.

Of course using this clause to justify murder is different. We had that kid here in MN who's parents went on the lamb a while back. I don't they she was trying to murder her kid.

I wonder how arfcom feels about the Amish not wanting to use technology to treat their kids if they are sick.

Top Top