Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/7/2003 11:45:28 PM EDT
By the end of summer I'll be going in front of two groups for my Interview. One for a local department and one for a State Patrol. I'm looking for exeperienced individuals to possibly highlight or touch on some of the do's and don'ts of the interview process.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:10:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/8/2003 8:45:17 AM EDT by Gunslinger808]
DOs: 1. Get a haircut, dress well, and bring a pen, First impressions COUNT! 2. Don't second guess yourself, WAFFLING KILLS! 3. Keep your answers simple, Let THEM what if it to death! 4. Be honest, OR BE GONE! 5. Act confident, SEE # 2 6. If they ask you if you have questions, and you do, ASK! 7. Err on the side of caution in cases of "what if questions". So we can go home SAFE! [;D] 8. Yes SIR, No SIR. Bonus bullet phrase: If possible, I would contact my supervisor for further instructions. DON'Ts: 1. Chew gum. 2. Piss off receptionist, She's either married to a cop or does your time and attendance reports. (your check will never be right). 3. Get angry. 4. Cuss. And, GOOD LUCK!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:15:23 PM EDT
It's been suggested to me, when they ask why I want to be become a Police Officer, that I don't answer with, "to enforce the law" but with something like "to help maintain the safety of our community." Any input on that?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:29:48 PM EDT
When they ask you why, be honest. Don't try to get off with the pat "I want to help people". We all want to help people. Point out the things that you think are attractive about the job. Have an answer ready when they ask you how you are going to make the Dept. better. They are measuring how you think on your feet, how you handle yourself under pressure and how articulate you are more so than the content of your answers. Don't be too rigid. Relax and don't speak in monotones. Speak plainly but intelligently. Don't try to sound like a cop. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:39:07 PM EDT
Know something about the agency and the jurisdiction it serves, like no. of officers and residents, the major problems the agency faces, the major industries and activites of the area, the political entities the agency answers to, etc.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:05:52 PM EDT
What kind of nice attire? Polo shirt and khakis? Suit and tie?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 4:12:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By thesacrifice: What kind of nice attire? Polo shirt and khakis? Suit and tie?
View Quote
Suit and tie for an interview board.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:17:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gunslinger808: DOs: 1. Get a haircut, dress well, and bring a pen, First impressions COUNT! 2. Don't second guess yourself, WAFFLING KILLS! 3. Keep your answers simple, Let THEM what if it to death! 4. Be honest, OR BE GONE! 5. Act confident, SEE # 2 6. If they ask you if you have questions, and you do, ASK! 7. Err on the side of caution in cases of "what if questions". So we can go home SAFE! [;D] 8. Yes SIR, No SIR. Bonus bullet phrase: If possible, I would contact my supervisor for further instructions. DON'Ts: 1. Chew gum. 2. Piss off receptionist, She's either married to a cop or does your time and attendance reports. (your check will never be right). 3. Get angry. 4. Cuss. And, GOOD LUCK!
View Quote
I agree with the above. also don't let them rattle you. This is their intended purpose. Keep your head about your self/ stay calm and answer directly. I don't know about the suit and tie thing? I wore one once in my kindergarten graduation. Haven't been in once since. Didn't seem to affect my interviews. I wore jeans and a nice shirt.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:29:19 PM EDT
Well since your going to go before the WSP they'll ask you if you would give your mom a ticket? The correct answer is YES! And you would arrest your entire family if it came down to it. I worked as a cop in Washington, the above is true. Also everything Gunslinger said. Plus don't let them see you sweat. ED
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 8:33:32 PM EDT
Suit and Tie FOR SURE. Black and conservative is best. remember, a bunch of older cops will probably be interviewing you. Be early. Smile.
Top Top