Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2009 7:49:13 AM EDT
Looks like they have been scheduled for this Friday. Any advice you seasoned guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I already have a suit, so no worries there. I'm very nervous as this will be my first oral board.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looks like they have been scheduled for this Friday. Any advice you seasoned guys could offer would be greatly appreciated. I already have a suit, so no worries there. I'm very nervous as this will be my first oral board.

Get a police/LE study guide that contains information on taking the oral boards.

They will give many sample questions and the "Correct" responses.

Study...yes study.  Practice answering they types of quesitions you think you are likely to get.

There will be a  question about honesty...seeing a co-worker do something illegal.  Hint:  the correct answer will require diming them out.

There will be something about why you want to be a cop.  I don't want to be at a desk for my  career, I want to do something to help people, I want to be in a career with a close working relationship with my coworkers where I count on them and they count on me....

There will be a scenario type question like your dead guy and the train.  Quite possibly will be a "multi-cultural" question.  Or something about working with people who don't speak English.  Correct answer(s) find an officer who speaks that language; use a member of the community to translate; and/or call the language line on the phone (service you can call and they can translate).

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Ive been having my girlfriend ask me some of the questions that we've found are likely to come up. It helps to say those things out loud and hear how they sound coming out from another perspective. I go in today, so I hope it goes well.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the oral board must have went well, they made me a conditional offer. I think I was prepared for most of the stuff they asked, but there were a few things that caught me off guard. They asked a lot of question about reporting illegal actions of a co worker to the supervisor. They also were very through on why I want to be in this profession and what I have done to take steps toward this.

I really thought I was screwed when they asked if I had done any ride alongs, neighborhood watches, or If I had taken any CJ classes. Unfortunately I haven't done any of that. I had been considering doing a ride along, but I wasn't sure if the city did them. I should have called and asked. I think what may have helped save me is that when they asked what I've done to prepare for the physical portion I told them that I go to the gym 4-5 day a week so I was preparing in that way.

One of the questions they really grilled me on was a scenario type question. The scenario was: You pull up to your partner who has been shot, you look up to see the suspect running off gun in hand, what do you do. I responded that I would stop to help my partner, call in officer down and have medics sent. also I would try to get a good description of the suspect. I seemed to get grilled about letting the suspect go, I'm not sure if this was to see if I would change my answer or because they didn't like my answer. Also on a few of the scenario questions I started my response with "I believe" as in, I believe this is what I would do. They didn't like that at all, they said would you or wouldn't you. I understand why they want a direct answer.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations on the oral board. The answer you gave on the scenario was the right answer. They were trying to get you to change your answer to see how sure of yourself you are and to see if you can make a desicion and stick by it. The key is, Protect your self, protect your parter first and foremost. Everything else after that.

MPD165
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]
wow, in Texas there must be a lot of jobs!!!!

In Michigan you have to find a Dept that's hiring (which is very, very few)...most want at least an associates in criminal justice if not a batchlor's.

And almost all depts in michigan wants you to have already put  yourself through the academy, at your own expense and time. (which means a person like me who has a home and family, I'm screwed I can't just quit my job for 5 months to go to the academy)!

I need to move to Texas!!!!

Congrats bro!!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
So do you think it would be wise to go ahead and schedule a ride along with his department or are we already past that point as they pointed out this is something I should have done previously?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You can ask about the ride-a-along, but I don't think it's really that important. The questions in oral boards are more about the reaction to the answers, bearing and attitude than the actual answers. Its a game pure and simple. If they already made a conditional offer, barring any budget catastrophies, then its all up to you to pass the rest of the process. I am assuming you have the usual polygraph, pscyhcological, physical and so forth, left to do. Try not to think too much into it and put the oral board behind you, its over, you passed it. Concentrate on the goal. Good luck on the rest and keep us posted.

MPD165
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
That is correct. I have the PT, poly, psych, and physical left to do. Thanks for the encouragement. You're right, I need to
stop thinking about the oral board and prepare for the future.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats, like everyone else said forget about the oral board, its done and over.  Just don't lie on your poly and you should be good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top