Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:07 PM EDT
Would society as a whole be better and more successful if it were structured and run like the military?

Would life in such a society be better and more fulfilling than it is now?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
NO

that would be COMMUNISM
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NO

that would be COMMUNISM

So, if you view the US Military as its own society, which many do, it would be correct to refer to it as a Communist society and all its members are Communists?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Once in a while, a real visionary comes along and has everything figured out.

[dupe edited out]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Perhaps you prefer the emasculated state the US is in currently?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

over totalitarianism, yes
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:04:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The Military equals totalitarianism?

You prefer having half the country vote against you?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer to let people vote as part of a federal republic yes.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Were you the guy that said we shouldn't have coke and pepsi because it's inefficient?

What's sad is that I just reviewed a book by a former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine that said the same thing: Companies shouldn't make drugs that do the same thing because it's redundant and greedy.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Military Forces subject to UCMJ and under the command of Civilian Government

*Citizens who have the right to vote in ALL elections, bear arms (ANY arms short of WMD) but must have a higher degree and/or prior gov/mil service to be a Citizen, or if none of those criteria are met, can take a test to become a citizen.

*Civilians who do have the right to vote in LOCAL elections, can bear arms but no CCW w/o permit or "heavy" weapons (nothing crew served and beyond) without permit.

*Everyone else (no legal status as civi or citizen) can't vote, can only own certain arms, not CCW at all no heavy weapons, but pay taxes

Gov Revenue from sales taxes primarily.

Federal Positions are elected from direct elections.  No electoral college.

You can't have children unless you can prove you can support them.

Welfare consists of losing citizenship, and military rations and water at a government housing project.  You are not aloud to have children while on welfare.

Broadly same laws/right as US.

Economy is capitalistic with heavy bias against organized labor
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Society as a whole has lots of structures.

Those that need a structure can put their feet on a path to find one.  

Those that don't, can put their feet elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:08:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I prefer to let people vote as part of a federal republic yes.

Is the Military more effective overall than society?  Would the Military function of every member were polled before a decision were made?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
seriously, most civillians would go apeshit if we went with a military rule system.  it wont work for your average joe, most totalitarian regimes have tried it, all have failed.  it doesnt work outside of the military.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
seriously, most civillians would go apeshit if we went with a military rule system.  it wont work for your average joe, most totalitarian regimes have tried it, all have failed.  it doesnt work outside of the military.

So, in time you would have a society composed of people who fit in a Military setting.   A society composed almost entirely of people who have a real sense of honor and sacrifice.  Would that be better than it is now was my question.  I am asking in the long run, not the day after it was implemented.  

100 years down the road, if it were to last that long.  Hypothetical question.  I don't care what average Joe thinks of it.  It is hypothetically forced on him and he can bend or break.  Eventually almost all of society would fit in the new mold.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, exactly, are you advocating?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, in time you would have a society composed of people who fit in a Military setting.   A society composed almost entirely of people who have a real sense of honor and sacrifice.  Would that be better than it is now was my question.  I am asking in the long run, not the day after it was implemented.  

100 years down the road, if it were to last that long.  Hypothetical question...  I don't care what average Joe thinks of it.  It is hypothetically forced on him and he can bend or break.  Eventually almost all of society would fit in the new mold.

Would this be the US military or say some Mycountryisapieceofshitistan Military?  Worlds of difference?

Many subcultures exsist in any one military.  Which one is it?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, are you serious?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

100 years down the road, if it were to last that long.  Hypothetical question...  I don't care what average Joe thinks of it.  It is hypothetically forced on him and he can bend or break.  Eventually almost all of society would fit in the new mold.

Would this be the US military or say some Mycountryisapieceofshitistan Military?  Worlds of difference?

Many subcultures exsist in any one military.  Which one is it?

A first-world Military.  The US Military is a fine example.  Not a Banana Republic Army...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What, exactly, are you advocating?

You would not want to live in a militaristic society, so I assume you prefer a society where martial values are not the norm...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Ideal society = me in charge + everyone else shut the hell up

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe that a more structured society based on the rule of an aristocracy would be a positive change.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Dude, are you serious?

Yes Dude, I am.  I think I know where your car is too...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not saying I think it would be better.  I don't know.  Just typing out loud.

I am not talking about Totalitarianism or Communism though, regardless of people's inability to envision a militarily structured society in any other terms..
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I believe that a more structured society based on the rule of an aristocracy would be a positive change.

I agree with you.  The exact structure of such a government is a bit difficult to flesh out though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Ideal society = me in charge + everyone else shut the hell up

Go be a hermit in the mountains and you can have all that...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm not saying I think it would be better.  I don't know.  Just typing out loud.

I am not talking about Totalitarianism or Communism though, regardless of people's inability to envision a militarily structured society in any other terms..

What other terms are there?

Primary elements of a military society:
Chain of Command - institutes a caste system where you have no choice but to obey the commands of superiors.

Needs of the whole (the Corps, the Army, the Country) outweigh the needs of the one.

Gee, sounds like a totalitarian communist state to me.

Or do you have the notion that spiffy uniforms and close order drill is a good thing for society?

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Would society as a whole be better and more successful if it were structured and run like the military?

Would life in such a society be better and more fulfilling than it is now?

Grand social engineering on the scale you speak of is a fundamentally flawed concept.  In order to creat such massive changes in society, the government must necessarily assume greater and greater power.  This power, however, eventually attracts the worst sort of people, and the system collapses.  The perfect is clearly the enemy of the good in this regard, and the best one can hope for is divided power and just rulers.  

The fact is that moral decay is an inevitable stage in the development of all great societies, and is due precisely to our limited natures.  Eventually, the success of one generation leads to luxury.  People growing up in luxury don't learn all of the hard-fought lessons that made the prior generations successful, no matter how good the educational system is.  Fact is, most people learn things by hard knocks, and luxury shields people from hard knocks.  This luxury then necessarily leads into moral decay.  Or as the British say, sandals to sandals in three generations.  

It happened to ther Egyptians, Assyrians, Babylonians, Persians, Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Turks, Spanish, French, Dutch and English, and it will happen to us as well.  No system of government or social order is immune to the cycle of rise and decay.  The goal, of course, is to delay the decay as long as possible.  The Roman state lasted for roughly two thousand years in one form or another.  Hopefully we can outdo them.  

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
How about you leave me the fuck alone and I'll do the same to you.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#28]
No. Sparta pretty much disproved that as a way to run a  free  society.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:59:04 PM EDT
[#29]
The world ought to have more big-tittied women and that all like me.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:16:19 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Needs of the whole (the Corps, the Army, the Country) outweigh the needs of the one.

Well, are you saying that you feel your personal needs are more important than the needs of the US as a whole?

I suppose I see the fierce need for freedom of self gratification as something less than good...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top