Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/30/people.oprahwinfrey.ap/index.html
CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Oprah Winfrey has famously given members of her audience new cars, paid off their debts and fulfilled their wildest dreams. Now she's given them what she calls the "gift of giving back."

On a show that aired Monday, Winfrey gave more than 300 audience members $1,000 debit cards sponsored by the Bank of America to donate to a charitable cause.

Winfrey called the show her "favorite giveaway ever."

"I can honestly say that every gift I've ever given has brought at least as much happiness to me as it has to the person I've given it to," the 52-year-old talk-show host said. "That's the feeling I want to pass on to you."

People can give the entire sum to one person -- relatives aren't eligible -- or they can split it among charitable causes. Audience members also received a DVD recorder to tape their stories for a future show.

"You're going to open your hearts, you're going to be really creative, and you're going to spend it all at once on one stranger or spend a dollar on every person," Winfrey said. "Imagine the love and kindness you can spread with $1,000."

f**k that, i would buy ammo.  i think that counts, because i would protect my neighbors from zombies.  thats charitable!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Finally, a reason to get tickets to be in her audience. I'd definitely go there for an easy grand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Finally, a reason to get tickets to be in her audience. I'd definitely go there for an easy grand.

save 15% for the tax man.  Remember the pontiac fiasco she caused a few years ago?  Not only were the gifts taxable, but they were also inconvenient, audience members had to travel great distances to take delivery.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:12:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd donate it to a gunstore, who coincidently donates a rifle back to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I am not interested in going to her show at all. If I took the card I would give it to a non-profit organization of my choice like they asked me to but it would not a a liberal organization.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I would donate it to a random AR seller in the EE, then they would donate the listed rifle to me.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if GOA counts.....
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#7]
And for the NRA, a gift of $1000 from Oprah's mange.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Giving away millions or billions is not for sissies.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]
GOP
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems to me if Ms. Winfrey's idea of a charitable gift such as cash will reach a place or person's where the funds given are donated to a truly worthy or noble cause or orginization, via a group of persons that are basically unknown is quite absurd. This act of her's which I believe to be mostly television hype directed basically at the lower middle class and the impoverished[those in never-ending need themseives] possibly  can and would entice many to devise there own schems for the purpose of recovering a portion of that money or sway the followers of her show that are less wise concerning ''giving'' to become potential victims themselves out of ignorance to the world around them when it comes to flim-flam artists. If Ms. Winfrey thinks the camcorders which she ''issued'' to tell this great story on a future program about the basic good in man and sincere interest in the needy will keep everything on the up-and-up[and I thing most of us know the answer to that one] then maybe she'll host a follow-up segment in the naer future intitled''OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY IN ARIZONA'' or somthing to that effect. Nighthawk7 out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
OPRAH DOESN'T GIVE AWAY HER OWN MONEY

Pontiac paid for those cars
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Pontiac giving cars the Oprah watching type makes me not wanto own a Pontiac
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

THANK YOU.  

Oprah is the most important person in the world.  Just ask her.  

She made it seem that SHE was the one paying for those cars, but GM donated them, and she took the credit for it.  

I can't stand that bitch.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
And she wants Barack Obamination to be the next president
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Gee, why am I reminded of Hurricane Katrina all of a sudden?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Gee, why am I reminded of Hurricane Katrina all of a sudden?

Orpah's audience isn't your run of the mill welfare cheating looter. They watch Springer.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THANK YOU.  

Oprah is the most important person in the world.  Just ask her.  

She made it seem that SHE was the one paying for those cars, but GM donated them, and she took the credit for it.  

I can't stand that bitch.  

Well the important thing is that Pontiac got more publicity with the target demographic group than they could have done through any other way; I mean, Pontiac IS the #1 brand for female drivers and what better way to advertise your hot new product? Pontiac G6 sales are pretty decent too; I think it's one of Pontiac's highest selling vehicles...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Exactly!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I think you meant Oprah's minge - although it probably has mange.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top