Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2007 11:07:26 AM EDT
Oprah Winfrey Opens School in South Africa

Tuesday , January 02, 2007

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa — Oprah Winfrey headed a celebrity lineup that included Tina Turner and Spike Lee at Tuesday's opening of the talk show queen's new school for poor South African girls.

The true stars, though, were Sade and Megan, whose father killed their mother and then himself; Zodwa, whose mother died of AIDS, and some 150 other girls who Winfrey says had a "light so bright" that it shone through their deprivation and helped their dreams come true.

The luxurious $40 million Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in the small town of Henley-on-Klip, south of Johannesburg, plucked the proud and excited girls from poverty to be groomed for power.

Click here to go to FOXNews.com's Africa content center.

Winfrey said she planned to open another school for boys and girls by the end of the month in the eastern KwaZulu-Natal province.

Opening ceremony guests such as Turner, Lee, Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Sidney Poitier and Chris Tucker were asked to bring a personally inscribed book for the library, which included self-help books as well as Harry Potter.

Winfrey, who is called "Mam Oprah" by the girls, said she came with a celebrity posse for a reason.

"These people have the power to do things. They have voices which can be heard in the U.S. and across the world."

Lee, who attended with his family, said it was a "testimony to Oprah's power to see all these people showed up to support her."

"Oprah is one of the most amazing women in the world. It is amazing to see what she can do when she puts her mind to it. It is an honor to be here," said Carey.

Africa has drawn attention from a number of celebrities, with pop singer Madonna adopting a Malawian boy and setting up programs for others orphaned by AIDS in that southern African country, actor George Clooney lobbying to stop the violence in Sudan's Darfur and other stars acting as U.N. goodwill ambassadors.

Nelson Mandela, whom Winfrey credited with inspiring her to build the school, interrupted his vacation to be at the ceremony. Mandela, 88, looked frail as he was helped to the stage by his wife Graca Machel and Winfrey. But the anti-apartheid leader who became multiracial South Africa's first democratically elected president in 1994 beamed with joy and his speech resonated with pride. He told Winfrey:

"This is not a distant donation but a project that clearly lies close to your heart."

Winfrey's girls sat attentively on stage in neat green-and-white uniforms. The poignant stories of some were told in a documentary about the school shown to guests. A few students greeted guests and media with Winfrey, clutching at her formal pink dress and holding her hand.

Maphefo Leputu, 12, from Soweto, who used to share a bed with her cousins and said she was overwhelmed at the prospect of her own room and bathroom — and the chance to fulfill her ambition of becoming a lawyer.

"I would have had a completely different life is this hadn't happened to me," said 13-year-old Lesego Tlhabanyane, whose mother abandoned her when she was four. "Now I get a life where I get to be treated like a movie star."

Earlier Winfrey said at a press conference that educating girls could have far-reaching benefits.

"Girls who are educated are less likely to get HIV/AIDS and in this country which has such a pandemic, we have to begin to change the pandemic," she said.

Many of the girls come from families affected by the disease which has infected 5.4 million of the 48 million population and hit women disproportionately hard.

Winfrey referred repeatedly to her own impoverished childhood and said she was grateful that she at least had a good education.

"I was a poor girl who grew up with my grandmother, like so many of these girls, with no water and electricity," said the talk show host.

She promised that she would continue to support the girls so they could attend any university in the world.

The idea for the school was born in 2000 at a meeting between Winfrey and Mandela. She said she decided to build the academy in South Africa rather than the United States out of love and respect for Mandela and because of her own African roots.

Built on 52 acres, the 28-building campus resembles a luxury hotel with state-of-the-art classrooms, computer and science laboratories, a library, theater and wellness center. Each girl has a two-bedroom suite.

Winfrey said she chose "every brick tile, sheet and spoon," because "if you are surrounded by beautiful things and wonderful teachers who inspire you, that beauty brings out the beauty in you."

Some South Africans called the school elitist and a waste of money which could have been used to educate more children. But others applauded Winfrey.

"Any initiative which ... enhances the quality of education and which enhances the possibility of a young person realizing their dream to do better is a welcome opportunity," Education Minister Naledi Pandor said of her efforts.

Despite government efforts to improve the school system, the education department said last week that two-thirds of the 1,667,000 children who started school 12 years ago dropped out, and only 5 percent did well enough in their studies to be eligible to go to university.

State-funded schools, especially in the sprawling townships that sprang up under white racist rule, are plagued by gang violence, drugs and a high rate of teenage pregnancy.

Winfrey selected the 11- to 12-year-old girls for the school from 3,500 applications across the country. To qualify, they had to show both academic and leadership potential and have a household income of no more than $787 a month.

Winfrey, who is childless, said she was building a home for herself on the campus to spend time with the girls and be involved in their education.

"I love these girls with every part of my being," she said. "I didn't know you could feel this way about other people's children."

She has been quoted as saying that the kids in the urban Chicago schools are not focused on education but they are focused on iPods and sneakers.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

She has been quoted as saying that the kids in the urban Chicago schools are not focused on education but they are focused on iPods and sneakers.

Hard to argue with that.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to argue with that.

+1; Most American kids take education for granted and many think it's pointless and stupid. Just go to Africa or some other 3rd world shithole; they're almost ALWAYS happy to be able to go to school...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]
NOt any chance this feminazi bitoch is gonna help 3rd world boys anytime soon is there?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:44:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
NOt any chance this feminazi bitoch is gonna help 3rd world boys anytime soon is there?

Probably not.

Are there any people in America that need help?

What an elitist bitch.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Did you read the article or just see "Oprah Winfrey" in the topic and want to bash her?  Further on in the article it states she is going to open a boys/girls school in the future.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not.

Are there any people in America that need help?

What an elitist bitch.

Outside of my own children (of which I have 0), I wouldn't help any American children with their education either.  There are plenty of opportunities for those who actually want to study and excel.  Too many kids today take education for granted and do not apply themselves, it's really a shame.  Why offer to help someone who won't help himself/herself?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]

There are plenty of opportunities for those who actually want to study and excel.  Too many kids today take education for granted and do not apply themselves, it's really a shame.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The argument is make the US look impotent-same for Gates money in Africa and Buffet following him.The idea is one world government.The US NOT as a leader but as a mere player.We need a real American leader and I do not see one on the horizon.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:15:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Did she just take them for a tour of a cave?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Did she just take them for a tour of a cave?

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
She should teach them to not screw so much.  Or the importance of wrapping their rascals.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Morning bump.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the article or just see "Oprah Winfrey" in the topic and want to bash her?  Further on in the article it states she is going to open a boys/girls school in the future.

If thats true then why not make THIS school co-ed?? Ill belive it when i see it.
Also, she is totally clueless about what is going on in South Africa, The kids there are in just as worse a shape as the US kids. There is high crime and people killing each other for no reason. How is that different than the US? There are plenty of kids in the US who need a leg up but shes written them off. She just wants to mold and indoctrinate the next generation of Oprah cunts.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
More power to her.

Now she needs to fight aids too, so we don't have too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I used this for an editorial

I see where Oprah has opened a school for girls in Africa.  I commend her for this and call on all the other black billionaires of the world to follow her lead.  The rich black citizens of Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, the Caribbean, and South America should feel this same compassion for their less fortunate brothers and sisters in Africa.  And if there are no rich black citizens in these places I guess we'll just have to ask those in the US to take up the slack.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully that bitch will stay there.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Trying to buy her way into whatever heaven she thinks exists.

Whatever.

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If thats true then why not make THIS school co-ed?? Ill belive it when i see it.
Also, she is totally clueless about what is going on in South Africa, The kids there are in just as worse a shape as the US kids. There is high crime and people killing each other for no reason. How is that different than the US? There are plenty of kids in the US who need a leg up but shes written them off. She just wants to mold and indoctrinate the next generation of Oprah cunts.

That's wrong on so many levels....

I won't even try to discuss the irony of the poor grammar.

You do realize that the poverty in SA is unrivaled in the US, right? That HIV infection is ~25%? That the overall infrastructure ranges from lacking to non-existant outside of a few urban areas?

Have you ever read John Farnam's quips and quotes? He has a lot of solid information regarding violence in SA.

We pour plenty of money into our public school systems. It's simply not used to good effect, as your post so clearly demonstrates.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
She should teach them to not screw so much.  Or the importance of wrapping their rascals.  hinking

I thought between Angelina Jolie and Madonna they were importing all these kids to the US
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:09:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
OK its bash time for me!

I was just walking by the TV when I heard someone ask her why there were no white South African kids in her school.

Her reply,

Because I dont have to appease the white people of South Africa.

Well there went the little bit of respect I had for you bitch!

That's racist!
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Just as an aside, I find it interesting among liberal elites that going to SA countries is the "in" thing, while helping out those in the ME is so "out".  Both exemplify the plague wrought by sectarian violence, yet only one is "worthy".  Must be a skin-color thing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell yes it is.  But you don't see white folk saying we need to support white heritage, or have an "all white" cable channel, righht?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
She should teach them to not screw so much.  Or the importance of wrapping their rascals.  

Damn it, you were beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing.

I thought between Angelina Jolie and Madonna they were importing all these kids to the US

I read somewhere if any of the girls become pregnant, or use drugs or alcohol they will be expelled from the school.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Let me first say that I almost NEVER agree with her on any subject or any matter...especially politics.

That being said,  she IS the equivalent of Mother Teresa with a Checkbook. She puts her money where her mouth is and I have to respect that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I for one, applaud Oprah for having the cajones to take her money outside of urban America and to publicly say "The system is broke, the kids are not worth the effort!"

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 5:41:20 PM EDT
[#27]
it's her money
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top