Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2004 7:06:35 AM EDT
I'm asking on behalf of my daughter.  She's currently trying to decide between the two.  She liked the Honda, but felt the rear view was very limited.  She also liked the Toyota.  Does anyone have any experience with either of these?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:12:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Honda gets my vote. I've driven an early CRV with 130,000 miles on it that felt like new. It felt fast, tight and well put together. Then again, I've had Hondas all my life. I've owned about 8 of them, from a 1988 Accord with 217,000 miles on it to a Prelude to a CRV. Its hard to go wrong with a Honda.

Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#2]
When my daughter is of driving age her first car will be a 1974 purple gremlin
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
From personal experience I can say that you can't go wrong with either.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rav4 with the old 2L engine.  Underpowered but the new one with the 2.4 apparently is alot better.

Its a nice car to drive and all wheel drive rocks.

The CRV is front wheel drive all the time, except when the computer detects it needs more traction, which is sometimes too late.  My mate drives a CRV and its roomier than the Rav4, but the Rav4 is more of a younger person's car.  I find that the quality of the interior is better in the Rav4 as well.

With both, fuel consumption aint too great compared to my corolla.  My Rav4 has quite a small fuel tank but im not sure if its been changed with the new model.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:22:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell her to get a Ford Escape
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I did.  She says that both the Honda and Toyota have more advantages over the Escape and cost less for what she wants.  Personally, I'd opt for the Escape out of the three.  We've been buying Fords for a long time and had good service from them.  I realize that this does not apply to everyone and not everyone likes the same kind of car.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

A Ford over a Toyota or a Honda?
I dont think so.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When my daughter is of driving age her first car will be a 1974 purple gremlin

I can get you a green Pinto that shoots fire out the carb.

I dont know much about either, but the CRV made me feel sick when I rode in it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#9]
O yeah and the dials on the Rav4 may look cool, but they are shit in the period of time where its dark enough to turn on your lights, but not dark enough so that its night time if you get my drift.  During that time its hard to read the speedometer because the background and the backlight thingy look the same.  Turn on the lights of a Rav4 to see what im talking about.

The storage on the Rav4 is less than the CRV, but its more appealing to younger people due to the way its set out.  The interior is more young people oriented.

The headrests give me the shits sometimes when I want to take a nap, as they are tilted forward and quite uncomfortable to try to sleep in, but that may be a safety design.

The standard stero and speakers are ok.  The bass is quite good for a stock system, but this may not be so appealing for you as she might play loud music.

The dashboard is set out in a way that its very hard for the front passenger to see the speedometer, but this may be different in the US.

I find it quite a good car for young people, although mine is a bit sluggish.  The 4wd really makes my parents happy cos it gives me alot more traction, and they feel I am safer especially in the rain.  I dont really like the front wheel drive aspect of the CRV, as it will go to 4wd ONLY when the computer tells it to.  THere is no manual override.

We have had no problems with our Rav4 at all.  We have had it for about 3 years and driven it dont know how many km's.  Same story for a family friends Rav4 which is about 8 years old or so.

I am 18 and I would presume your daughter is around my age or thereabouts.  CRVs are just too...old man.

That being said, I would never buy a Rav4 again.  I would buy a Hilux instead
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife rives a 2003 CRV.
It now has 89,000 miles on it.
No problems.
I drive a 1998 CRV with 84,000
miles. No problems except my new puppy
keeps getting car sick.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#11]
We just bought a new 2004 Honda CR-V LX AWD.  As far as rear view, did she pull the middle head rest from the back seat?  The second we got in the vehicle we did.  I paid $19800.00 with the only purchased option being the door lock opener (not including minor options they through in for nothing).  So far, with 400 miles on it now, it has run perfectly with no strange noises or problems.  

Tell her to be very careful if she is going to finance through Honda.  They tried to dick me on the interest rate, but I was ready for it and had them drop their original rate by over 1.5% to the low 4's.  I ended up being financed through Chase Bank, but had to request it.  I believe American Honda Finance has since lowered their rate to be more in line with Chase.  Also, I bought using the Costco program and paid about $400.00 over invoice after everything.  Lastly, if she does want an extended warranty, the actual cost on the 7 year/100,000 mile/0 deductable is about $900.00.  They will try to sell it to you for about $1300.00 (I wouldn't have bought it buy my wife insisted).

I hope this helps a bit.  The most important thing once she has decided on the vehicle, is to go to myfico.com and spend $30.00 to get all of her reports.  I believe AHF uses Experian and Chase uses Trans Union.  There are coupon codes out there to get her a discount on running her reports, just do a Google search for "myfico coupon codes".

Hope this helps!

EAM  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:35:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I have an 02 RAV4. So far I have had no problems with it. It has been driven across the country 4 times(3 by me, once by my Step Father when I deployed to Iraq), and has never had any issues. The last time cross-country I had everything I owned in it and saw no difference in handling, pickup or speed. It kicks ass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:24:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a '97 CR-V with 110,000 miles and no problems at all.  I've replaced the battery once about a year ago.  Aside from that, it's needed nothing else besides regular maintenance.  I bought it when they had been available in the US for only a month or so.  It is very roomy (I'm a big guy), has great storage space, and it's comfortable.  The '97 model is a little underpowered, and I can feel it on hills with passengers, but 98+ models have a stronger engine.  My mom has an '02, and I can feel the difference.  It's a great car.

I can also vouch for its stability.  My wife was driving it last year and started to go off the road and over-corrected (her car's steering is a lot less sensitive, and she wasn't used to my car).  We wound up sliding sideways down the interstate at 65mph, and it did not roll over.  No damage at all.  (I almost shat myself, but otherwise, all was well.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:28:03 AM EDT
[#14]
just go ahead and admit it''s for you.

you'll feel better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

And tell her to buy an Olympic Arms rifle while your at it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Honda CRV. I had the same decision to make. Found a nice used one (SE model).
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

you'll feel better.

Really...it's for her.  I already bought this:

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Get both.

I test drove a RAV4 but not a CRV. I climbed around the CRV and found the seats to be too short. I think it's a problem with Hondas. They also tend to be noisy and bumpy. Basically they save in the wheel and suspension area. The RAV4 was OK to drive but after test driving a 4Runner it wasn't quite the same. It felt a little tippy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you'll feel better.

Really...it's for her.  I already bought this:

mywebpages.comcast.net/unwind5/redtruck02.jpg

Get her one of those....

CRVs and RAV4s are way too underpowered. She's better off with a Subaru wagon or something....

Lower centre of gravity in the wagons means they're more stable....

Small SUV's like the CRVs, RAV4s have both the high centre of gravity and light weight that allows them to flip more easily than others. A GMC Denali is less likely simply because of mass.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#20]
My Wife has the Honda… she loves it! It's a real 'Ladys Car'

Its 4 years old and has never had penny spent on it other than normal routine services! Totally 100% reliable…

…unlike my Mercedes…

Andy
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Mall-Ninja
"A GMC Denali is less likely simply because of mass."

I think you're wrong about that.
The problem is that the center of gravity on a Denali is so high, a recovery is much more difficult because of it's greater mass. It's a momentum thing.

As far as my personal experience in similar vehicles. I can take a turn in a smaller SUV such as an MDX,Pilot,CRV much faster than in an Expedition, Yukon or Suburban. I can feel the top heaviness of these larger ones.
The lone exception is the Sequoia which I find handles like a dream compared to other large SUV's

The Highway Accident Stats may prove it one way or another.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me be the first to say...

JEEP.

Talk her into a hard top Wrangler Unlimited.  It is more capable than either, and will hold it's value much better than either, also.

(Feel free to ignore me if she just wants a cute-ute.)
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Honda or Toyota? Can't go wrong with either one. I'm more swayed to the design that the RAV4 has.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I DO drive a Ford Escape. Good amount of oomph, and lots of fun to drive. I wish I had a more fuel efficient car though. This college student can't afford gas. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Mall-Ninja
"A GMC Denali is less likely simply because of mass."

I think you're wrong about that.
The problem is that the center of gravity on a Denali is so high, a recovery is much more difficult because of it's greater mass. It's a momentum thing.

As far as my personal experience in similar vehicles. I can take a turn in a smaller SUV such as an MDX,Pilot,CRV much faster than in an Expedition, Yukon or Suburban. I can feel the top heaviness of these larger ones.
The lone exception is the Sequoia which I find handles like a dream compared to other large SUV's

The Highway Accident Stats may prove it one way or another.

You're probably right. I don't have that much experience with the huge SUVs. I was just thinking about the wider stance and longer wheelbase of the larger vehicle. The CRV reminds me of a Civic with a lift kit....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 12:03:19 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mall-Ninja

You're probably right. I don't have that much experience with the huge SUVs. I was just thinking about the wider stance and longer wheelbase of the larger vehicle. The CRV reminds me of a Civic with a lift kit....

Your pretty accurate with the CRV-Civic comparison. They share a lot of parts.
Compared to the full sized SUV's,  the Hondas handles in a very sporty manner as they are optimised for good road handling rather than off road ability as Honda know that most SUV's never even get their wheels dirty. I throw the wifes round like a sports car, and never feel like it is going to fall over.

ANdy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top