Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:29:59 AM EDT
What do people think of a private seller requiring a photocopy of a DL when buying a firearm?

I am working out a deal and the seller wants to have one.

I see a couple of problems with this:

1. They seller would have my exact home address, and know that I have at least one firearm in the house (and probably assume that I have more).
2. The seller would have my ID number and DOB.
3. They do not have any legal obligation to store or dispose of the information securely.

This is in Florida, only the ATF regs must be followed, there are no additional state requirements.

I have bought several and sold several firearms FTF and always have just verified that the other party is a resident of my state. A couple of times I have done a simple bill of sale that was simply signed.

The firearm in question is a rifle and is pretty expensive, not something that would be likely to be used in a crime. A criminal could get another gun much cheaper.

I can see a dealer recording your info off of it, they have federal regs to comply with however I don’t see the need for a private seller to have such information.

Maybe I am being overly cautious but this just bothers me.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:35:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd tell him to pound sand.

I don't know why people insist on making up gun "laws" that don't exist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI, I'm the seller, and I have done sales this way in the past for a couple of reasons:

#1: To make sure the guy I'm dealing with is of age, and the actual person he says he is.

#2 If I am contacted by law enforcement later on, and the weapon was used in a felony
after I sold it, then I can prove it was not in my possession.

#3 If I am the buyer, and the seller just sold me a hot gun, or one that has been used in a crime, and somebody shows up at my door aking me to prove when I purchased it, and explain how I came by it, I have something more then "I bought it from some guy, and I don't remember who" to cover my own tail.

I've e-mailed the buyer, and I can see why he may be uncomfortable about giving out a copy of his DL, so if we meet, I'll just let him prove he's of legal age, not make any copies of his DL#, and at least have a name on the bill of sale, which he will write up, that I can refer back to.

I'm not trying to collect personal data for other usage, but merely have done this in the past, whith no objection from either party, to cover us both.

Our state's law requires even private sellers to be aware of who they are selling to, and the burden is on the seller to make sure that it's not an out of state resident, and that the person is of legal age.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd insist on seeing ID and writing the DL number down and signing a bill of sale but not a photocopy of the ID itself, if seller doesnt like it, they can meet me at a gunshop and pay an additional $30 to do the transfer.    I have no control what the buyer will do with the gun or who they might sell it to down the road and I need a paper trail to cover my ass.  If the buyer gets all butthurt, dont buy or pay a dealer to do a transfer.  Then if the gun is ever forward traced to me I can say it's in Joe's gunshops or whoever's books
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see it both ways.  If it is that important, it may be a transaction killer.  Maybe tell him you are aware of the risk and number of identity thefts and that you want a copy of his ID in case your identity is used and you need to track him down.  I think he has the better argument as stated above, but perhaps this will make him think.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]

I would never allow someone to copy my DL. If that tears the deal, so be it. Like someone else said, that's just too much personal information in the hands of someone I know nothing about.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
FYI, I'm the seller, and I have done sales this way in the past for a couple of reasons:

#1: To make sure the guy I'm dealing with is of age, and the actual person he says he is.

#2 If I am contacted by law enforcement later on, and the weapon was used in a felony

#3 If I am the buyer, and the seller just sold me a hot gun, or one that has been used in a crime, and somebody shows up at my door aking me to prove when I purchased it, and explain how I came by it, I have something more then "I bought it from some guy, and I don't remember who" to cover my own tail.

I've e-mailed the buyer, and I can see why he may be uncomfortable about giving out a copy of his DL, so if we meet, I'll just let him prove he's of legal age, not make any copies of his DL#, and at least have a name on the bill of sale, which he will write up, that I can refer back to.

I'm not trying to collect personal data for other usage, but merely have done this in the past, whith no objection from either party, to cover us both.

Our state's law requires even private sellers to be aware of who they are selling to, and the burden is on the seller to make sure that it's not an out of state resident, and that the person is of legal age.

Really?  I'd love to see the law that requires that...  my guess is that it's kinda like that "law" that says that a FFL has to send an "ink signed copy" of their FFL to an individual (non-FFL holder) before he/she ships the gun.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  I'd love to see the law that requires that...  my guess is that it's kinda like that "law" that says that a FFL has to send an "ink signed copy" of their FFL to an individual (non-FFL holder) before he/she ships the gun.  

NC has it for handguns by using the pistol permit system.

www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.html

More info www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Looks like NC defaults to Federal law prohibiting sale of firearms to prohibited persons.

As a buyer you can claim what a bunch of all you want, as a seller, you're best covering your ass.   You want to be the one that say, sold the gun that kills someone a week later and your prints is all over it and forward tracing leads the paper trail to you and your only defense is ...well nothing really.  Find a FFL dealer that'll do the transfer for $10 or so and create a paper trail that exonerates you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#10]
If you don't trust them quit doing business with them.  Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:19:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NC has it for handguns by using the pistol permit system.

www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_14/Article_52A.html

More info www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

Looks like NC defaults to Federal law prohibiting sale of firearms to prohibited persons.

As a buyer you can claim what a bunch of all you want, as a seller, you're best covering your ass.   You want to be the one that say, sold the gun that kills someone a week later and your prints is all over it and forward tracing leads the paper trail to you and your only defense is ...well nothing really.  Find a FFL dealer that'll do the transfer for $10 or so and create a paper trail that exonerates you.

Right, but he's in FL - not NC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top