Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:07:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/1/2009 10:08:03 AM EST by J_Smith]
Probably not the best idea to post in GD, but I'm not sure where else to ask. I currently work in a shipping dept of an auto parts distribution center. Pay is decent, around $13/hr, but the work is very physically demanding and about 35 miles away. I like a fast paced work environment but I'm not getting any younger. Benefits and pay are probably better then the competition. With that said, I have a Walmart Supercenter and Hannaford food store about 2 miles from my new home. I'm considering applying to one or the other if the loss of pay will offset the mileage and backbreaking routine. Ideally, I'd like a .gov job in a federal or municipal capacity but we're in the midst of a recession. And I'm not going back in the military now that I have a normal family life and wonderful wife. President Barry Hussein has further rooted my commitment not to go back. I have no intention of going law enforcement- my wife does that and LE is not for me. I got screwed on my GI Bill back when I was Army so higher education isn't a realistic option. Learning on the job and developing some skill sets would be my best bet.

Bottom line - how is employment at Hannaford or Walmart - and what, if any, career potential is there? I'm interested mainly in receiving type jobs or starting out stocking - not a cashier or greeter type of guy. Should I stay where I'm at and suck it up with the drive for now?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:20:49 AM EST
I worked at WalMart during high school and into college. From my experience, the vast majority of WalMart employees are mindless robots. Salaried management therefore feels the need to stick their fingers in even the most simple of operations.

I worked in the lawn and garden department, which is the best dept at Walmart if you have to work there - get to be outside and more interactions with MILFs. The asst. managers would come out and tell me how to set up the display of plastic lawn furniture, how to stack fertilizer, etc.. They also have stupid daily meetings where they read sales figures that 99% of the people don't understand (including the managers). At the end of these "meetings" they try and make you do some gay Walmart cheer. Thankfully, I usually worked nights and weekends, which gives you a little more freedom. My hourly supervisor was also very good, so that made it bearable.

Efficiency and the ability to operate without detailed instructions were not valued by higher management. That said, if you have those traits, you can get your work done very fast and have plenty of time to screw around with the fork lift in the parking lot and make forts with pallets of mulch Whatever you do, don't get cashiered trained. They will stick you on a register and that means you are glued to that spot, which is really boring.
Top Top