Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 5:29:35 PM EDT
I've been looking at Cherokees becasue they are (supposedly) pretty durable and reliable.  I'd be looking to drive it for a year or two and then keep it around as the 3rd vehicle so I'm looking at vehicles with 70-90K on 'em.  I know my way around cars and am handy enough with a wrench; however, I don't really have time or desire to mess with problems at this point.  Looking at spending $6-7 thousand.

Any thoughts?  Any owners have input?  Other alternatives?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a 97. One of the finest vehicles I've ever owned.

5.5 lift, 32" BFG tires, ARB snorkle, Safari roof rack, lighting all around. IPF H4 headlighting. There is a picture of mine in a few of the 4wd threads. I'll do a search or post up another in this thread. It was an awesome 4x4 rig, and was very capable. Proven many times over. I did Crown King in AZ a few times and a few other rad places around the area in AZ.

Even with lift and big tires and a 300 lb passenger, I could spin the tires. I could also do the TJ wave in it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the best, most long-lived vehicles out there.  Those 4.0 engines run forever, and the automatic transmissions are pretty bulletproof too.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Great vehicle.

I wish my sister hadn't crashed hers.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad has a 98 grand cherokee I believe. It has has the 5.7 liter. Its a good running SUV with plenty of power but the all time 4 wheel drive is a joke. Who would think a company would make a vehicle like this after one year?

You get on dry pavement and it seems like either the suspension or pavement is going to get knotted up. I just dont understand why they made them 4 wheel drive all the time.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I work at a Jeep dealership and Jeep owners love their rides. Not unusual to see a extremely high mile (over 200,000 miles) Jeep come in and the owner won't trade just wants to buy another one.

By the way the Cherokee design came from AMC it was in production until 2002 when Jeep replaced it with the Liberty, which is known as a Cherokee everywhere else, go figure.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I work at a Jeep dealership and Jeep owners love their rides.

This is the exact reason I am asking here and not on a Jeep forum--Jeep owners tend to be a bit biased!

You do see a lot of high-mileage Cherokees out there, which is part of my reasoning here.  Now if I can just figure out how to move the seat back 3 more inches I'll be set (the Cherokees are a little short on legroom for me).

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#7]
My winter beater for many years was a '88 Cherokee, 4.0L, w/ Selectrac 4X4. I sold it last year, with 250,000 kms on it. The only real problem was a rear seal oil leak (that I never bothered to fix), and a few electrical bugs. But it would go anywhere, anytime. hippie.gif.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine's one year older (1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport) than the range you have listed. It's probably the best-running vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it off the original owner, and he kept every service receipt for it. The only thing that he ever did to it was have a wheel bearing replaced, and as for myself, I replaced the water pump after it started dripping. I change the oil every 3000 miles, and that's basically it. It now has almost 124,000.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Have a 94 Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 ho/5 spd. Put over 202k on it, and only did normal replacement stuff. Starter, alternator rebuilt after I went through very deep water, battery etc. Ran fine when I parked it after I bought my truck, unfortunately sitting there not being used has caused some problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 95 4.0L HO.  Bought it in 97 and it had 32K on it.

It now has 72K on the clock, all of it hardcore off-road/rock-climbing.  The only aftermarket parts on the vehicle are the bumpers/armor, the lift, cage and the tires/wheels.

Engine/tranny/axles/brakes et al are stock.  I'm not replacing anything until I bust it.  I said that when I bought it and I am still waiting....

ETA: The are two issues to watch out for in XJs (Cherokees):

1. Some like to run hot.  Usually fixed by replacing the radiator, however some folks still get rigs that run hot after all manner of fixes.  

2. A/C likes to peter-out.

Sheep
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:11:12 AM EDT
[#11]
2001 here.

Love it.  leaks a little oil, but I can live with that.

I took my 2000 places where guys on quads were stunned to fine me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:12:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:21:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Ive got a 97 cherokee (not the grand) I bought new, it now has 185,000 miles on it, still has the original exhaust system on it.Only problem i had was the fuel filter (inside the tank)got stopped up and burnt out the fuel pump...that was at about 90,000 miles.Everything else has just been normal maintence.Tune up,oil change every 4-5000,I just recently replaced the stering stabilizer and the rear lift gate pistons. oh and i had to replace all the clamps on the exhaust system.I think what i like the best is the fact when it snows or we haqve an ice storm it will go anywhere i take it, and i mean anywhere.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:27:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a '95 XJ, it went up Crown King (the hard way) absolutely stock, on street tires. It even did the 12 inch step pretty close to the top. Also drove it through Canyon de Shelly after a big rain, still on the street tires. Never got stuck or had to turn around. Best bang for the buck. Get the manual transmission.
That said, I now have a '96 Grand Cherokee, I like it better. It has 158k, many off the pavement. And I like the full time 4wd, handles great and no getting out to lock hubs and such. It doesn't get nearly as good gas mileage though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I work at a Jeep dealership and Jeep owners love their rides. Not unusual to see a extremely high mile (over 200,000 miles) Jeep come in and the owner won't trade just wants to buy another one.

By the way the Cherokee design came from AMC it was in production until 2002 when Jeep replaced it with the Liberty, which is known as a Cherokee everywhere else, go figure.

Because the Cherokee and the Liberty were still being sold at the same time in the US.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
98 Cherokee Sport here.  Currently my son drives it, but I'll never sell it.  It is  tough as nails, reliable as all get out and handles great in town or off the road.  
Where are you, theres a 98 Cherokee Sport just like mine for sale around the corner for only 5995.  I might buy it just because.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top