Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2001 7:18:56 AM EDT
I have a '96 VW Passat with 52,000 miles on it.  I am thinking of selling it because I feel like if I wait too much longer, its value will start dropping at a higher rate.  I think right now is the optimum selling time because of its age and mileage.  Any opinions?  Also, does anyone have any experience with these cars with higher mileage/age?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:50:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a Passat GLX.  The thing I'm most concerned with is minor but costly problems.  A friend of mine's instrumentation stopped working at 40k and the part alone was $600.  Also, how long should clutch cables last?  Mine is in the shop right now with a broken cable (I think).  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Like most Mercedes, Volkswagen last for ever but the nick nack you to death.Parts are expensive.I think you could get at least twice the mileage without any major problems.Assumoing you have good upkeep.I have a 190E with a lot of miles no problem with the drivetrain but little things add up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:07:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of trading it in for a GMC Sierra, but I'm having a really hard time deciding if that's a good idea.  I just want to get the maximum trade in for my VW, so that's what I'm trying to figure out.  AAAHHHH!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Time to head for Consumers Reports reliability guides before you make a $$,$$$ mistake.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I have never owned one but they are good looking cars.[:D]
Lynn
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Armalite Fan,what year is your baby Benz?  The parts can get annoying but fortunately there's a pretty big network of aftermarket parts.  Some parts (the radiator in particular) are better then OEM.  I've got 201,700 miles on my '86.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
sell! Parts are a nightmare(body), also new vw's are made in mexico not euro.
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Theyre nice cars. I was going to buy a new one in 98, but I wanted the TDI with a 5 speed. The dealer kept saying "it'll be out soon" but they never built one.
Optioned up, it's almost as much $$$ as the M/B C 230. So I started looking at them. Very nice, and at the time about $31000.
I ended up with a 98 Dodge diesel pickup. I'm not disappointed. 20+ MPG. Gobs of torque.
I also had an MB 190D. It had 1/4 million+ miles on it when I sold it. 80 MPH and 45 MPG. I miss it.
Eric
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Passats are nice cars, but VWs reliability still leaves something to be desired.  And its not just a 1980's VW problem, it still exists.  When something does break, its usually extremely expensive to repair, and VW dealers overall dont have the best reputation for customer service.  OTOH, the older a car gets, the slower it depreciates.  The minute you drive the car off the "new car" lot, it depreciates something like 20%.  IMO, you should sell it.  The mileage is at about the point where you will start having problems with that car.  I remember Car&Driver doing a long-term test on your generation of Passats with poor results.  They also just did a long-term on the new Beetle, and it's still been expensive to maintain.

American full-size trucks are pretty good vehicles.  I think you'd be satisfied with the Sierra.  If you want something less heavy duty, more urban use, you might want to look at the Toyota Tundra.  HTH
Link Posted: 5/14/2001 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
They make a good shootin car.
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Why not get smart and buy a Honda?  German cars cost too much to repair and why people even buy German cars is beyond me.  They all suck!  They are all over-rated and way over-priced.  And...they all seem to attract people who drive like idiots....especially BMWs.  Get a Honda and you will never buy another make of car.  That's a guarantee.....!!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 7:44:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They make a good shootin car.
View Quote
AMEN Brotha!! Why would you want one of those chickiemobiles? Get a gashog SUV and put a gunrack in it. Step away from the cappuccino!
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd trade the Passat off (or better yet,  sell)...and pronto!  High School graduation is coming up soon, so this is the PERFECT time to unload it.  This car is very popular with NSYNC/Backstreet Boy types.

It probably looks pretty good at this stage, but if you hold it another year??!!  And that would be very uncool to the people who buy this type of car.

DaMan

Link Posted: 5/15/2001 8:20:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a Toyota,

I have '82 truck (250K), '94 celica (100K), '98 sienna (45K)

No problems to report.  Obviously the truck has had a few parts, but Jimmy Carter was president when I got her (nicknamed "ole beige").  But no major engine work, just peripheral stuff. The celica has never needed anything, still on the same brake pads!

Turning Japanese
Link Posted: 5/15/2001 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#17]
You got an '82 Toyota when Jimmy Carter was president?

He must have been president of your local Toyota dealership. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top