Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2001 7:45:08 PM EDT
I was at a local shop today and was interested in an HK USP most likely in .40 or .45  Or a 1911 style in .45  I own a Glock 19 and love it. I've never been a 1911 fan because I heard stories that they are not always completely reliable unless they are "tinkered" with, but they do feel nice.
Are there any very reliable 1911's at a comparable price to the USP??
I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance guys.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn you've been told wrong. My springfield is probably the most reliable gun I own it better be because it's the one I use to protect both  my own and my familys life with. [sniper]
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a colt 1991 commander and have no complaints,it is accurate and will cycle all ammo through it.I have not had any jams whatsoever.Some target models have problems with certain ammo usually has to do with feed ramps,tight fitting parts,etc.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I was actually admiring the Springfield TRP.  Anyone know what price is for the TRP?
Or where I can view some pricing online.
Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
if you have the luxury of training with the weapon alot - then a 1911 would be fine - otherwise would strongly recommend the hk for the decocker function.  the hk usp series was designed as the optimum cross bewteen a 1911 and dare i say glock?

the usp can also handle squib loads and has trememdous harsh condition survival ability.  not saying the 1911 isn;t a tried a tested weapon - it's just that the usp is THAT much better.  remember socom chose the hk mk23 not the colt....

the 1911 has the better trigger - but if you get a hk with a match trigger - it's better

steve
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the USP 40
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
There is nothing wrong with a 1911. My preferrence would be for the USP however. I also prefer .45 over .40 given the mag restriction. In addition .40 is a S&W round and you will financially support them somehow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was at a local shop today and was interested in an HK USP most likely in .40 or .45  Or a 1911 style in .45  I own a Glock 19 and love it. I've never been a 1911 fan because I heard stories that they are not always completely reliable unless they are "tinkered" with, but they do feel nice.
Are there any very reliable 1911's at a comparable price to the USP??
View Quote

'Evening, Robert!

I've had the priviledge of owning Glock 19,21,22,30, Hk USP.45, Various 1911 variants including LesBaerC7, Kimber, Colt, Norinco and a few others.

My advice to you is to choose the model that best suits your perceived needs, fits your hand and promotes a postive mindset to 'you'. This will make sure you pratice with it. And then practice some more. And practice again. Shooting a handgun under stress is difficult at best, and needs to be ingrained into your 'muscle-memory' or 'subconcious' to the point where your enlightened mind allows you to use the handgun of your choice to fight your way to your AR. [;)]

My opinion is to keep things simple. If you like the Glock, keep it. Want a larger pistol, buy a G17. Want a larger caliber, G22,21etc. I find the Glock to be the most durable, user friendly from maintenance and durability aspect of any handgun I've owned.  I love the 1911 and I am very proficient with it. That said, I will grab the Glock to defend myself or family with and know that it's good to go.

HTH,

JC
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Can only speak about USP Match since that is what I have. Most accurate 45ACP pistol I own and very reliable.
I have shot a Kimber 1911 Match and it is not as accurate.

Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a USP 40 and will swear up and down by it. Try this site, it may help make up yer mind.

http://www.streetpro.com/usp/index.html
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
 I have several 1911's a Glock a HK Tactical and a 220 SIG, and the Tactical is the most accurate out of all of them.
 My Favorite to shoot is the Glock21 because it fits me good and it hits where I point it.
 The SIG is a good pistol and has never malfunctioned,at all,ever.
 The 1911's are well, for lack of a better word, just plain cool.
 Springfield and Kimbers seem to be the best buys in a 1911 style pistol going.

Chuck
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:48:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever brand you decide on, see if a Triton .40 super conversion is made for it (only a barrel change), if so the conversion would give you upper end performance in all cases! You can switch back and forth too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I own both the Hk USP .40 and a Kimber Custom Classic.

I love both, but for defense, I would choose my Kimber.

The trigger on a 1911 is not on a hinge and for some people like me, that makes a big difference.

If you live in an area that has Concelaed Carry, you might want to consider the possbile concealabilty of the weapon you choose. A full size 1911 is not a problem.

The main thing to me is whether I shoot it comfortably or not.

Well, again, Kimber wins this one

Hk will go through the jungles and mud and harsh environment, but I do noy plan on goiong out into the field.

I would suggest finding a way to fire both and see what you think.

I believe you have gotten the wrong message about the 1911s, true, the ones out there that are being built for competition, should not be compared to the stock grade pistols in its class.

I am comfortable with cocked and locked, same way my Grandfather carried his pistol.
I would choose Kimber for sure over the Hk for home use.
Good luck
Link Posted: 4/8/2001 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an idea of prices on the USP .45.
Can someone give me the going price for a Springfield TRP (tactical response pistol)??
But not the pro model.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#14]
was considering a usp 45, but picked up a loaded springfield black mat, yesterday. for 580, i`m seriously thinking on it. have a few 1911`s, but i like to "tinker"...maybe that`s the difference....i have absolutely NO reliability problems, and that includes 10mm.....[heavy]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Springfield TRP, costs about right under a grand and has everything a combat style handgun should have. I love it, it is my favorite pistol and constant companion. With Wilson-Combat 8 round mags it has never failed and I've put thousands of rounds through it so far. It does not make as small groups as my Les Baer, but it's not meant to be a target pistol, but it is considerably more accurate than the Sigs (220, 226, 2340) and HK's (USP 45) I have with a much better trigger as well. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Man, Bobby V got some nice guns!! Congrats.

My $0.02:

I am a former 1911 shooter. I currently own a full size USP .45 and a compact USP .45.

Sure HK's trigger is not so much. You can get a match trigger for the full size but not the compact. Or you can shoot it a few 1,000 rounds and it is the same. However, it will never be what a 1911 trigger *could* be. However, any prosecutor will put you under the jail house if you are involved in a CCW shooting with a 3# trigger.

Second, an HK is not cheap. Granted it is more than a box stock basic 1911. However, you are going to have to spend a whole lot more to acheive the accuaracy and reliability of the USP. As far as accuarcy - well you have to shoot one to understand - lets just say it is more accurate than I am and far more accurate than a combat pistol needs to be. Furthermore, a USP's accuracy can be enhanced by utilizing an O-ring barrel, just like the barrels used in the tactical or the match.

Lastly, durability. HK was the first to manufacture a 'plastic' pistol. They have been througly tested. I have roughly 9,000 rounds through my full size - no malfunctions of any kind. There are many different variants including ones that allow for 'cocked and locked carry'. Once again, it is going to cost you to get that kind of reliability in a 1911.

As to .40 *&* or .45 ACP - I like .45 but I do have a .40 in my other carry gun -> G-lock 27.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I own both the USP in .45 and three 1911's.  A Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special, a Wilson Combat CQB and a Kimber Classic Custom.  I have also shot the Springfield 1911's.  While I love my USP, I would have to say go for the 1911.  If you are willing to put in some moderate practice time with it you will find it to be an awesome gun.  It carries concealed nicely and mags are not as expensive as they are for the HK.  Also, as far as durability, I have shot my 1911's in harsh conditions such as rain and mud and did not suffer any problems.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like my decision has come down to USP45 or the Sringfield TRP. Now I just need to know the going price of a TRP (not the pro model). The couple shops I was at didn't have them. Thanks for all the input so far and feel free to add anything.
Thanks again!
by the way: I inquired at the HK board but got nothing. This site rules.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:26:49 PM EDT
[#19]
The USP.

10+1 rounds of +P+, in a package that is almost infinitely reliable, and suberbly accurate, not to mention massively torture tested and  overengineered, is the ultimate US legal side arm,in my opinion. I've owned two 1911's, and sold one(Colt M1911A1 compact). I haven't sold the other one to trade it up to a USP, because I'm not selling any guns in the current political climate. My Colt and my Kimber have both jammed with factory ball ammo, my USP9F is flawlessly reliable.

I can't speak for Springfield, I only know that they have a mixed reputation for reliability. Some very good, a few pretty bad. I will buy a .45 USP next, but not another 1911.

No tinkering, guesswork, or "necessary" replacement parts.

Get the USP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 1:54:17 PM EDT
[#20]
While both are extremely good guns, the 10+1 rounds of .45 won me over.  Now, if I only had the money[:\]
Link Posted: 4/9/2001 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#21]
roberts - read my post above, I told ya how much a TRP costs - about a grand ($1000) worth every penny too.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 1911 for the history of it, but if I was entrusting my life to a gun, I would use my H&K Tactical .45.
[pistol]
1) Easier to strip and clean.
2) Safer
3) +P rounds.
The only advantage of the 1911 is a slightly smaller size and cheaper mags.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:41:43 PM EDT
[#23]
GLOCK!
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#24]
roberts,
Here is a link to Springfields page for the TRP:
[url]http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-1911-trp.shtml[/url]
List price is shown there, don't know about regular selling price.

CH
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own a Colt Govt. .45.
I carried one in the Army. I bought one when I could afford it. It fits my hand it is a "shooter"(Not target grade, but it still, on any given day shoot better than I do.) With going on 7000 rounds through it(including my sometimes "wonky" handloads), never a malfunction.

Shoot both. You can always find that price again. Find out which one suits you best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top