Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2005 8:43:34 PM EDT
So I was at a local gun store the other day, and they had a used National Security Magnum 50 CF model in excellent condition.  They were willing to give me a good deal on it, but I'm hesitant because it has external hinges.  Granted, these hinges are of the large and in charge variety, but still it doesn't quite sit well with me.  I can't imagine a $5000 MSRP safe being made with a real weakness, so they must be strong, but I'd still like an ARFCOM opinion .

Here is the safe: www.libertysafe.com/Safe_Magnum.lasso

They will also be including a goldenrod dehumidifer, an installed lightning kit, and an installed 4-plug outlet (this is an older model that didn't have these when new).  The safe also has an extra shelf.

So, what say you all ARFCOMers?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#1]
If you look at the bolt coverage, you'll see there are bolts on all 4 sides. They could cut the hinges clean off and the door wouldn't open.

I prefer external hinges because the door swings 180 degrees, which is very convenient. Interior hinges don't allow that.

Fret not. NS is one of the best safes out there. I owned one until recently (damned ex-wife!).
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one bad Mutha there. It has bolts on all four sides of the door so even if some knucklehead grinds the hinges away he still can't get in. It looks pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the hinges don't keep the door on, like they would in a door on your house.  They just make it easy to keep the door in place when you open it  In fact, I think external hinge safes can be more secure because the insides of the safe are stonger - they don't waste space in there trying to hide the hinges inside unnecessarily.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
as said above, you may come home to a safe with no hinges, and an exhausted, irate, unsuccessful theif passed out in your home.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
20 bolts! 1465lbs. I like it.

How much?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Got a Sportsman Steel safe with external hinges. I have had absolutely no problems with mine but alot of people knock their customer service. If I was gonna do it all over again, I would probably pay more and get a Liberty because of the interior fit and finish. The reason I went with the external hinges is that you supposed to be able to lift up and remove the door. This supposed to make the safe easier to move by yourself. Of course once the door is back in place and the pins extended out, it is just as secure as one with interior hinges.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:29:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Good points everyone, thanks!  Yeah, it's a fairly serious safe and I figure I wouldn't have to buy another one for a long time.  I'm still debating buying a smaller, less expensive safe.  If I fill that one up I could buy another smaller, less expensive safe, and then bolt them together, but I'm not sure it's the way to go.  

I'm still trying to figure the true differences between the Magnum and the Presidential, as they at first glance seem similar, except the Magnum MSRP's for around $1000 more.   The Presidential actually seems more "secure" and fire resistant than the Magnum, but the Magnum has the external hinges and very slightly larger exterior dimensions...Other than that the Presidential seems better...???  Anyone have any ideas about that?

The price isn't firm yet, and I don't wanna give it any bad mojo so I won't reveal just yet.  I'll let you all know what happens.  I need to call the store today and have them have their guys come out to make sure they can get a safe that large to where I want it to go .
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I say I have that exact safe before Liberty bought National Security.   On external hinges, it has already been said in the previous posts.  

I only wish it were bigger.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
that is a serious safe. One thing i always look at is the weight. That SOB is over 1400lbs! Hope you never plan on moving

J

Seriously!  How the hell to you get that in a house?  Or up a flight of stars?  Can a regular residential floor even handle that much weight?  

Nice safe.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that is a serious safe. One thing i always look at is the weight. That SOB is over 1400lbs! Hope you never plan on moving

J

Seriously!  How the hell to you get that in a house?  Or up a flight of stars?  Can a regular residential floor even handle that much weight?  

Nice safe.  

Just leave it in the front yard.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:05:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:23:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 8:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Plus, with external hinges, you can take the door off, making it much easier to move the safe.  I have a National Security safe: a very good safe, IMO.

Merlin
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
How do they move a safe anyway?  After re-measuring the area, I'm not sure they can get the safe to where I want it if they move it standing upright...
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:49:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you look at the bolt coverage, you'll see there are bolts on all 4 sides. They could cut the hinges clean off and the door wouldn't open.

I prefer external hinges because the door swings 180 degrees, which is very convenient. Interior hinges don't allow that.

+1

External hinges are the only way to go, IMO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top