Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:37 PM EDT
 Hard to tell from a blury short video. But this shooting seems kind of strange, hopefuly more details will come out.What is your profesional opinion on this?
                                            Thanks,  AL

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3701021042638173366

We also have a thread about this in the CA HTF http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=222189

[ETA] Sorry I forgot the story

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Airman Is Shot After Brief Chase
A deputy's shooting of a car passenger in Chino was videotaped. The man was wounded while apparently obeying the officer's order to get up.

By Lance Pugmire and Michelle Keller, Times Staff Writers

A San Bernardino County sheriff's deputy shot an Air Force security officer late Sunday night after the airman told the deputy that he was in the military and "on your side." A videotape of the incident, which was shot on a residential Chino street about 10:30 p.m., was of poor quality, showing only a silhouette of the deputy and the face of the man who was shot — illuminated by the deputy's flashlight.

But the tape appears to show the deputy opening fire as the man was trying to comply with the officer's apparent order to stand up.

Senior Airman Elio Carrion, 21, had been riding as a passenger in a Corvette that was involved in a brief, high-speed chase with the deputy that reached speeds of 100 mph before the Corvette crashed into a fence, authorities said.

The videotape, shot by Chino resident Jose Luis Valdes, shows Carrion sprawled on the ground and repeatedly telling the deputy, "I'm on your side."

The deputy then seems to shout, "Get up!" after which Carrion appears to lean forward. "I'm going to get up, all right?" he says.

The deputy then fires his gun three or four times from about five feet away. "Shut … up, you don't get up …!" he shouts.

Moaning in pain, Carrion responds: "You told me to get up."

The deputy then radioed in to dispatch that shots had been fired.

It is unclear from the grainy tape whether there was anything in Carrion's movements that provoked the deputy to fire his weapon.

The videotape begins with the deputy already conversing with Carrion, so it is unclear whether the lawman was acting on information he obtained before Valdes began taping.

Sheriff's investigators took the original tape as evidence.

"Our homicide division is conducting a thorough investigation," said Sheriff Gary Penrod. "The investigation will examine all of the evidence. Some of the evidence will include a video that was given to the Sheriff's Department by a citizen."

Penrod said the results of the investigation would be forwarded to the San Bernardino County district attorney's office for review.

Penrod declined to provide any details of the incident, saying it would be "inappropriate" until the investigation was completed.

Carrion, who recently returned from Iraq, has not been charged with a crime, although the incident is under investigation, sheriff's spokeswoman Robin Haynal said Monday evening.

He underwent surgery Monday at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton after being shot in the chest, leg and shoulder, according to his wife. By evening, he was listed in good condition.

A woman who lives near the site of the shooting on the 5500 block of Francis Avenue said she heard a loud screech when the Corvette smashed into the fence. Then she heard the deputy shouting orders at the people in the car, but did not see the shooting.

"I heard the deputy scream, 'Get down … ! You shouldn't have made me chase you!' " according to the resident, who declined to be identified. "It seemed like the deputy was screaming 'Get down … !' for about a minute and a half, and then I heard four gunshots, boom! boom! boom! boom! Even after the shooting, the deputy was still screaming.

"The cussing part sounds like a rage. I didn't see anything, but the fact he kept screaming for them to get down sounded like they weren't getting down."

Carrion's wife, Mariela, 19, said her husband told her that he did nothing wrong. She said that, after he came out of surgery Monday afternoon, he said: "They shot me for no reason."

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The audio is pretty clear, though the images are grainy, but it don't look good at this point.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty easy to tell from the video that cop needs to be in prison.

I understand cops sympathising with a stressed out buddy, but if you start defening a turd like that it's only going to make the whole proffesion look like floaters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top