Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2008 12:16:59 PM EDT
Okay, I need a new watch. I've worn the same dive watch for over 12 years and it's time for an upgrade. I really don't know much about watches but I've looked at Omega, Rolex, etc and I like the style of the Breitling Airwolf... Is it a good watch?

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not expert but thats a good lookin watch
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
You need to look up member bad_shovelhead (or how ever he spells it) quite an expert/owner of fine watches.  He posted a real cool link to a video of a "general service" on one of their watches.

Edited to add link to video.  Language tab is in the upper R/H corner
www.breitling.com/service-chrono/
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw those videos when he posted them. They're pretty cool but I also remember the price tag of the service which was over $500 if I recall. One of the reasons I'm hesitating to by the watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't care what it says on the back.  If it doesn't have screwed-in Chrono pushers,
do not swim or god forbid, dive with it.  I don't know if are looking for another dive watch, but this isn't it.

plus, it' quartz. Given the price of the watch, and much lower cost of the  Quartz mvt'
ofver a mechanical, it's not the best Value in a Breitling.

A Chrono Avenger seawolf is probably the best value in the do-all breitling chronos.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a TagHeuer man myself, but I can appreciate a nice watch.

That's a nice watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
IBTOFDWH (In Before The Over Fifty Dollar Watch Haters)

Nice watch
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice watch, but I'm not too crazy about the digital.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
its quartz?

screw that
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Same here.  It just looks wrong on a high dollar watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
its quartz?

screw that

It's Breilting's proprietary SuperQuartz movement. It's suppose to be 10 times more accurate than standard quartz movement. It's thermocompensated and is suppose to be accurate with 2-5 seconds a year; at least that's the sales pitch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Me too.  If I were ever to be able to spring for a watch of that caliber it damn sure wouldn't have any electronics it it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  If I were ever to be able to spring for a watch of that caliber it damn sure wouldn't have any electronics it it.

Yeah, digital is for Casio G Shocks.

Stick with traditional movements on high end watches.  Plus, they look better IMHO
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#15]
does it come with a magnifying glass?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I was initially looking for a mechanical movement but the more I read about them the more I became concerned with there durability. From what I've read dropping a mechanical watch is almost a guarantee at damaging it and banging it hard enough on something has a good potential to do damage... I'm pretty hard on watches so I have to consider the durability.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#17]
go to this forum, you can thank me later

and don't listen to the people that say get a Casio either...they probably still lives in mom's basement

forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't care what it says on the back.  If it doesn't have screwed-in Chrono pushers,
do not swim or god forbid, dive with it.  I don't know if are looking for another dive watch, but this isn't it.

No, this will just be my 'everyday' watch and I probably won't even shower with it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Good looking watch!
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A Chrono Avenger seawolf is probably the best value in the do-all breitling chronos.

this...

if your gonna spend that kinda money on a watch, i wouldn't spend it on a quartz movement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I was initially looking for a mechanical movement but the more I read about them the more I became concerned with there durability. From what I've read dropping a mechanical watch is almost a guarantee at damaging it and banging it hard enough on something has a good potential to do damage... I'm pretty hard on watches so I have to consider the durability.

The quartz movement is still mechanical.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Breitling makes a damn fine watch.

I prefer analog dials without any digital readouts though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The quartz movement is still mechanical.

Yes, but no where near the number of small moving parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its quartz?

screw that

It's Breilting's proprietary SuperQuartz movement. It's suppose to be 10 times more accurate than standard quartz movement. It's thermocompensated and is suppose to be accurate with 2-5 seconds a year; at least that's the sales pitch.

thats all well and fine I have no real problem with quartz watches my 2 daily wear seikos are quartz but for the price I am assuming they are asking for that i would not buy a quartz

if its over a $1000 I will not accept quartz
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I admit it's a lot of money to spend so tell me this: The quartz vs mechanical movements, is it just a personal preference or is there a real difference in value between the two? From what I've read the quartz movement is not comparable  to the cheaper casio/seiko movements and are much more accurate but the mechanical movements seem to have more of an "art" appeal for enthusiasts.

Like I said, I don't really know squat about watches but I liked the mechanical and digital style over analog dials only...
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
the mechanical movements seem to have more of an "art" appeal for enthusiasts.

that's it for me anyway
a quartz is probably more accurate
more of a perception/gut feeling  thing to me as quartz is considered cheap and needs batteries

but on the other hand a mechanical watch will probably need to be service at about the same interval that a quartz would need 2 battery changes

I used to be pretty hardcore into watches but sold off everything but 1 Rolex I never wear
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I looked up the Chrono Avenger Seawolf model you guys were recommending and it uses the exact same SuperQuartz movement as the Airwolf I posted above...

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Edited to add link to video.  Language tab is in the upper R/H corner
www.breitling.com/service-chrono/

i feel like a bad breitling owner now... my watch hasn't been serviced since i bought it new... it still keeps time perfectly...

after watching that video, my Breitling Blackbird is demanding a day at the "spa"...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

plus, it' quartz. Given the price of the watch, and much lower cost of the  Quartz mvt'
ofver a mechanical, it's not the best Value in a Breitling.

Interesting thought.  What do you think is the difference in cost to Breitling of a quartz versus a mechanical movement?  I would imagine that there isn't that much difference.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Do they make one with an E6B that you can actually read in turbulence etc.   :)
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#31]
My Breitling is the only watch I have ever owned that has never broken. I seem to break them all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Well, I went ahead and bought it. I received 30% off retail from an authorized Breilting dealer. I don't think I did too bad...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#33]
PICS!!! and you got 30%? what model, because newer models only go about 15%.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:37:42 PM EDT
[#34]
IMO the "pilot features" make it look cluttered (unless you are a pilot).
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

The model pictured above (New for 2008 Airwolf)... He also threw in free overnight shipping. I should receive it this Wednesday and I'll post some pictures. They also told me I could get that discount on any model even if they had to special order it. They asked that I "send my friends" so after I receive the watch and everything is OK, IM me and I'll give you their info. I did verify on Breitling's website that they are in fact an authorized dealer...

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The model pictured above (New for 2008 Airwolf)... He also threw in free overnight shipping. I should receive it this Wednesday and I'll post some pictures. They also told me I could get that discount on any model even if they had to special order it. They asked that I "send my friends" so after I receive the watch and everything is OK, IM me and I'll give you their info. I did verify on Breitling's website that they are in fact an authorized dealer...

What are you saying? You'll be setting up an ARFCOM group buy on Breitlings?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Now there is an idea. From what I understand if we could get at least 50 buyers we could have Breitling make a custom face!

Nevermind... We could never get 50 people from this website to agree on a design...

Here is an example of a custom face:

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#38]
My watch arrived today...

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#39]
You will be very happy with your new Breitling. Their SuperQuartz is rediculously accurate.

If you are looking for a true dive watch also, look at their Superocean line. Pretty kickass pieces too.

Lets see some more pics!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Okay, here is a better picture of the watch.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:41:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Well, I'm thinking about returning the watch. I like it but I have this overwhelming feeling while wearing it that it screams "look at me". I'm someone that doesn't wear jewelry as I think of it as a "status symbol". What makes it worse is the watch is 17mm thick which seems to increase its "presence". I'll give it another day to make a decision and lord knows there are other things I could buy for $3k...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#42]
So is it normal to feel guilty after making such a purchase or is this a sign that I should return it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I always feel a little buyers remorse after buying something like that.  Sometimes I kept the item and got over it and sometimes I took it back.  For me if I can't enjoy what I bought, and if I can return it, I usually do.

Get a watch that is nice, looking, functional, and doesn't scream look at me.

I got a Seiko Diver and haven't looked back.

Patrick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top