Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2008 11:16:59 AM EST
Okay, I need a new watch. I've worn the same dive watch for over 12 years and it's time for an upgrade. I really don't know much about watches but I've looked at Omega, Rolex, etc and I like the style of the Breitling Airwolf... Is it a good watch?

Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:19:21 AM EST
I'm not expert but thats a good lookin watch
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:20:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:20:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:21:45 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2008 11:24:26 AM EST by ScrubJ]
You need to look up member bad_shovelhead (or how ever he spells it) quite an expert/owner of fine watches. He posted a real cool link to a video of a "general service" on one of their watches.

Edited to add link to video. Language tab is in the upper R/H corner
www.breitling.com/service-chrono/
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:57:01 AM EST
I saw those videos when he posted them. They're pretty cool but I also remember the price tag of the service which was over $500 if I recall. One of the reasons I'm hesitating to by the watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 11:59:45 AM EST
I don't care what it says on the back. If it doesn't have screwed-in Chrono pushers,
do not swim or god forbid, dive with it. I don't know if are looking for another dive watch, but this isn't it.

plus, it' quartz. Given the price of the watch, and much lower cost of the Quartz mvt'
ofver a mechanical, it's not the best Value in a Breitling.

A Chrono Avenger seawolf is probably the best value in the do-all breitling chronos.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:00:59 PM EST
I'm a TagHeuer man myself, but I can appreciate a nice watch.

That's a nice watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:05:37 PM EST
IBTOFDWH (In Before The Over Fifty Dollar Watch Haters)

Nice watch
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:10:59 PM EST
Nice watch, but I'm not too crazy about the digital.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:12:26 PM EST
its quartz?

screw that
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:15:06 PM EST

Originally Posted By shootemup:

Same here. It just looks wrong on a high dollar watch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:15:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
its quartz?

screw that

It's Breilting's proprietary SuperQuartz movement. It's suppose to be 10 times more accurate than standard quartz movement. It's thermocompensated and is suppose to be accurate with 2-5 seconds a year; at least that's the sales pitch.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:16:11 PM EST

Me too. If I were ever to be able to spring for a watch of that caliber it damn sure wouldn't have any electronics it it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:17:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By ScrubJ:

Me too. If I were ever to be able to spring for a watch of that caliber it damn sure wouldn't have any electronics it it.

Yeah, digital is for Casio G Shocks.

Stick with traditional movements on high end watches. Plus, they look better IMHO
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:20:06 PM EST
does it come with a magnifying glass?
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:49:23 PM EST
I was initially looking for a mechanical movement but the more I read about them the more I became concerned with there durability. From what I've read dropping a mechanical watch is almost a guarantee at damaging it and banging it hard enough on something has a good potential to do damage... I'm pretty hard on watches so I have to consider the durability.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 12:57:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2008 12:59:16 PM EST by armoredsaint]
go to this forum, you can thank me later

and don't listen to the people that say get a Casio either...they probably still lives in mom's basement

forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:45:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By RunsWithScissors:
I don't care what it says on the back. If it doesn't have screwed-in Chrono pushers,
do not swim or god forbid, dive with it. I don't know if are looking for another dive watch, but this isn't it.

No, this will just be my 'everyday' watch and I probably won't even shower with it...
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:47:00 PM EST
Good looking watch!
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 4:51:14 PM EST

A Chrono Avenger seawolf is probably the best value in the do-all breitling chronos.

this...

if your gonna spend that kinda money on a watch, i wouldn't spend it on a quartz movement.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:12:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By renegade79:
I was initially looking for a mechanical movement but the more I read about them the more I became concerned with there durability. From what I've read dropping a mechanical watch is almost a guarantee at damaging it and banging it hard enough on something has a good potential to do damage... I'm pretty hard on watches so I have to consider the durability.

The quartz movement is still mechanical.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:14:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2008 5:15:15 PM EST by omega62]
Breitling makes a damn fine watch.

I prefer analog dials without any digital readouts though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:33:02 PM EST

The quartz movement is still mechanical.

Yes, but no where near the number of small moving parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:37:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2008 5:38:47 PM EST by www-glock19-com]

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
its quartz?

screw that

It's Breilting's proprietary SuperQuartz movement. It's suppose to be 10 times more accurate than standard quartz movement. It's thermocompensated and is suppose to be accurate with 2-5 seconds a year; at least that's the sales pitch.

thats all well and fine I have no real problem with quartz watches my 2 daily wear seikos are quartz but for the price I am assuming they are asking for that i would not buy a quartz

if its over a $1000 I will not accept quartz
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 5:51:25 PM EST
I admit it's a lot of money to spend so tell me this: The quartz vs mechanical movements, is it just a personal preference or is there a real difference in value between the two? From what I've read the quartz movement is not comparable to the cheaper casio/seiko movements and are much more accurate but the mechanical movements seem to have more of an "art" appeal for enthusiasts.

Like I said, I don't really know squat about watches but I liked the mechanical and digital style over analog dials only...
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 6:54:56 PM EST

the mechanical movements seem to have more of an "art" appeal for enthusiasts.

that's it for me anyway
a quartz is probably more accurate
more of a perception/gut feeling thing to me as quartz is considered cheap and needs batteries

but on the other hand a mechanical watch will probably need to be service at about the same interval that a quartz would need 2 battery changes

I used to be pretty hardcore into watches but sold off everything but 1 Rolex I never wear
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:14:29 AM EST
I looked up the Chrono Avenger Seawolf model you guys were recommending and it uses the exact same SuperQuartz movement as the Airwolf I posted above...

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:27:10 AM EST

Edited to add link to video. Language tab is in the upper R/H corner
www.breitling.com/service-chrono/

i feel like a bad breitling owner now... my watch hasn't been serviced since i bought it new... it still keeps time perfectly...

after watching that video, my Breitling Blackbird is demanding a day at the "spa"...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:30:48 AM EST

plus, it' quartz. Given the price of the watch, and much lower cost of the Quartz mvt'
ofver a mechanical, it's not the best Value in a Breitling.

Interesting thought. What do you think is the difference in cost to Breitling of a quartz versus a mechanical movement? I would imagine that there isn't that much difference.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:04:01 AM EST
Do they make one with an E6B that you can actually read in turbulence etc. :)
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 12:08:39 PM EST
My Breitling is the only watch I have ever owned that has never broken. I seem to break them all.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:19:54 PM EST
Well, I went ahead and bought it. I received 30% off retail from an authorized Breilting dealer. I don't think I did too bad...
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:25:54 PM EST
PICS!!! and you got 30%? what model, because newer models only go about 15%.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:37:42 PM EST
IMO the "pilot features" make it look cluttered (unless you are a pilot).
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:38:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

The model pictured above (New for 2008 Airwolf)... He also threw in free overnight shipping. I should receive it this Wednesday and I'll post some pictures. They also told me I could get that discount on any model even if they had to special order it. They asked that I "send my friends" so after I receive the watch and everything is OK, IM me and I'll give you their info. I did verify on Breitling's website that they are in fact an authorized dealer...

Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:45:27 PM EST

Originally Posted By armoredsaint:

The model pictured above (New for 2008 Airwolf)... He also threw in free overnight shipping. I should receive it this Wednesday and I'll post some pictures. They also told me I could get that discount on any model even if they had to special order it. They asked that I "send my friends" so after I receive the watch and everything is OK, IM me and I'll give you their info. I did verify on Breitling's website that they are in fact an authorized dealer...

What are you saying? You'll be setting up an ARFCOM group buy on Breitlings?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:48:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/13/2008 1:54:50 PM EST by renegade79]
Now there is an idea. From what I understand if we could get at least 50 buyers we could have Breitling make a custom face!

Nevermind... We could never get 50 people from this website to agree on a design...

Here is an example of a custom face:

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:31:49 AM EST
My watch arrived today...

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:41:11 AM EST
You will be very happy with your new Breitling. Their SuperQuartz is rediculously accurate.

If you are looking for a true dive watch also, look at their Superocean line. Pretty kickass pieces too.

Lets see some more pics!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:09:37 AM EST
Okay, here is a better picture of the watch.

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:41:42 AM EST
Well, I'm thinking about returning the watch. I like it but I have this overwhelming feeling while wearing it that it screams "look at me". I'm someone that doesn't wear jewelry as I think of it as a "status symbol". What makes it worse is the watch is 17mm thick which seems to increase its "presence". I'll give it another day to make a decision and lord knows there are other things I could buy for $3k...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:53:21 AM EST
So is it normal to feel guilty after making such a purchase or is this a sign that I should return it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 5:29:55 AM EST
I always feel a little buyers remorse after buying something like that. Sometimes I kept the item and got over it and sometimes I took it back. For me if I can't enjoy what I bought, and if I can return it, I usually do.

Get a watch that is nice, looking, functional, and doesn't scream look at me.

I got a Seiko Diver and haven't looked back.

Patrick
Top Top