Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 3:16:09 PM EDT
I was at the shooting range today just plan on shooting an ar15 5.56 and a SKS both open sights. Playing around I was shooting about a shot every second or two at 100yards shooting all russian ammo.This guy next to me pulls out a mini14 with a scope about as long as the rifle. When I saw that I said said to my self this should be interesting since I have a mini 14 and even my sks out shoots it. My 20 rounds out my ar where tighter than his 3 round groups. Then he had these super hot reloads that were flinging the brass over me. I started to talk to him about his rifle and he had a hard time understanding why his groups were so bad. The best part about it was that he was going to deer hunt with it. Well it is that time of year when the deer hunters are showing up to shoot. What really got him was when I pulled out my ar 300 whisper which had a low powered scope and I was shooting inside a 1"circle with it. I think that maybe I may have converted a mini14 shooter to an ar shooter.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I also have used my SKS to outshoot a Mini14.

Really pisses those guys off.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Why are Mini 14's so inaccurate?  I've never had one but have considered picking one up until I heard all these reports of their minute of barn door accuracy.

Digital
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Most are the fault of the cheesy optics mount that is screwed into a dustcover on the left side of the receiver. The mount won't return to zero from one shot to the next. Also, they have a really poor barrel design and receiver bedding on the civilian version and "Ranch Rifle" models. The only ones worth a crap are the "GB" types that were only sold on government contracts, and even the GB's are piss when compared to an AR.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you get a deer with a .223?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
My mini sits in a back corner of my safe behind a pellet gun and a broken shotgun.My Rem 700 muzzleloader shot tighter groups.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#6]
To shoot deer with a 223 depends on what state you live in . In LA you can shoot deer with a 22 centerfire. I never shot deer with one but shot feral hogs head shot only with 64 gr win pp that I reload. This year I will try out my ar 300 whisper with 150 gr sierra sp loaded to about 2000fps.I think that this would be good medicine for head shots on them hogs up to 100yards.What is nice about the 300 whisper is that a 16" barrel is long enough to get max speed out the round when you reload sonic rounds. What is bad about the round is that if you do not reload it is a expensive round to shoot that averages about a dollar a shot and walmart does not carry the round so if you forget your ammo you will end up hollering BANG! BANG you are dead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why are Mini 14's so inaccurate?  I've never had one but have considered picking one up until I heard all these reports of their minute of barn door accuracy.

Digital

From my observations the main flaw in mini 14 is the barrel, it's about the size of one on a 10/22 .IMHO if the mini had a barrel the size of an ar-15 pencil barrel it would shot pretty good.

mini 14 thin barrel + high pressure =barrel flex
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Digital

From my observations the main flaw in mini 14 is the barrel, it's about the size of one on a 10/22 .IMHO if the mini had a barrel the size of an ar-15 pencil barrel it would shot pretty good.

mini 14 thin barrel + high pressure =barrel flex

This is what I first noticed when I looked at one of those ranch rifles. The barrel is shockingly thin.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Digital

What are you planning to do with it? If you need a bench gun that shoots dime size groups, the mini is not for you. Otherwise, minis are fine. I actually USE my ranch rifle to dispatch coyotes and other unwanted vermin quite a bit. Never had one single problem. Screw those paper shootin beeotches. Get ya a mini and shoot minute of beer can with reliablity and a high fun factor....AND..... :gasp: actually kill the thing you shoot at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top