Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2004 7:19:08 AM EDT
Has anyone ever done this?  With the demise of the AWB, I'd expect that AR pistols will stage a modest (at minimum) comeback.  Obviously, they haven't (and won't be) popular for carry weapons due to size, but has anyone used (or seen someone use) an AR pistol as a carry gun?  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:20:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Why??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Concealed carry in Texas.  Open carry would be cool.  But an AR pistol would be waaayyyy low on my list.  You would look like a total tard carrying it.  Almost as stupid as the Gold Desert Eagle..  People would surely think "Ahh small dick, big gun"
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#3]
hope you like eating pavement and having lots of guns pointed at you!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Rifle caliber in a small package.  In VA we can only get CC handgun permits so if you wanted to CC an AR it would have to be a pistol.  

It would be cool to have a pistol with a flash hider and bayonette.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Why??

Sgtar15

I thought the anti's were the ones who ask "Why?" and "What would you need THAT for?!"  

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Why's that?  Besides being a different caliber, how would it be any different than carrying a 1911 or a Makarov?
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:25:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:26:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The AR pistol is a neat curiosity but I seel little if any practical use for it.

Small Dick, Big Gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why's that?  Besides being a different caliber, how would it be any different than carrying a 1911 or a Makarov?

For the same reason you replied to my "WHY?".

Because cops get nervous when they see and AR pistol...tackle now ask questions later.

SGtar15
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#10]
yeah, uh, make sure you're not wearing a trench coat when you do that. Get back to us on how it goes.

IMHO open carry isn't a viable way to get people used to the idea of an armed society. You'll freak people out (and alienate them) way before you'll win them over.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:28:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The AR pistol is a neat curiosity but I seel little if any practical use for it.

Small Dick, Big Gun.

I guess thats why I feel very secure carrying my Keltec as my off duty pistol.  No worries or concerns about it at all.

hehehehehe
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

b/c of its looks. you'll scare people and the police are always going to error on the side of their safety.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:30:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
IMHO open carry isn't a viable way to get people used to the idea of an armed society. You'll freak people out (and alienate them) way before you'll win them over.

Let's not even go there.  AZ is a MUCH different atmosphere in regards to guns and open carry than MI.

BTW, I have absolutely no intention of carrying an AR pistol - concealed or otherwise.  If you read my original post, I was simply asking if anyone has done it, or know of anyone doing it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Here we go again-common sense and discretion VS "My goddamn rights!"

NOPE-I'm not going to argue about it. I carry open sometimes (we can here) but carrying concealed is my preferred method. I'd rather not have a BG know I'm armed-NOT whether or not I scare the sheeple.

In fact, sometimes JUST TO RILE THE SHEEPLE, I'll open carry that badass looking 357mag I have. Big gun. Shiny stainless steel, big, unmistakeable walnut grip.

But, again, I'd rather surprise a perp than be THE FIRST ONE he point his gun at.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

i can see it happening now....
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Doesn't qualify in Texas as a hand gun.
the definition for a semi-auto has something in it about magazine in the grip. So an uzi maybe.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:26:06 AM EDT
[#18]
ar pistols...feh-feh-feh-feh-feh. just buy a tech-9.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Doesn't qualify in Texas as a hand gun.
the definition for a semi-auto has something in it about magazine in the grip. So an uzi maybe.

I thought that was part of the definition in the AWB that will soon be dead.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's not even go there.  AZ is a MUCH different atmosphere in regards to guns and open carry than MI.

BTW, I have absolutely no intention of carrying an AR pistol - concealed or otherwise.  If you read my original post, I was simply asking if anyone has done it, or know of anyone doing it.

I am happy for you then - You simply asked if anyone has ever done this. Well, I haven't, and judging by what I've seen of the Midwest I'd say the reaction in anything outside EXTREME rural areas would be what I said it would be.

If it's so much different, you give it a shot  
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If it's so much different, you give it a shot  

Buy me an AR-15 pistol and I will.

I just won't plan on going to the movies.

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I would imagine that if it gets cold in your neck of the woods during the winter, it might be a viable option to concealed carry an AR pistol in some sort of shoulder rig beneath a heavy jacket.  Kindof like some of the pictures you've seen of SS with an UZI under their coat in the Reagan assasination attempt.

If youre in AZ, Florida, Hawaii or some other hot area during the summer...it just seems like you're asking for trouble.  Open carry just doesn't seem like a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:50:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Let's put it this way....I would not suggest it. Same goes for carrying a suppressed pistol. You are just itching for LEO questions and public scutiny and just LOTS of unwanted attention. Is it legal? Yes, depending on the state laws. Is it wise? NO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Let's put it this way....I would not suggest it. Same goes for carrying a suppressed pistol. You are just itching for LEO questions and public scutiny and just LOTS of unwanted attention. Is it legal? Yes, depending on the state laws. Is it wise? NO.

How's the saying go...You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.  To jail that is...
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Ooooooooh ooooooooooh, wear a black trench coat and sunglasses too.
Your ass would be sitting in the movies sucking on a soda and packing down popcorn when all of a sudden 3 125 lumen surefires would illuminate on you, and you'd instantly look like Krusty the clown when the cops threw him to the deck with the gun to his head in that classic 1st or 2nd season episode for robbing the stop-n-rob.
Open carry is asking for trouble. A lot of people are smart enough to be dangerous, since they know what you can and cannot do legally.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Has anyone ever done this?  With the demise of the AWB, I'd expect that AR pistols will stage a modest (at minimum) comeback.  Obviously, they haven't (and won't be) popular for carry weapons due to size, but has anyone used (or seen someone use) an AR pistol as a carry gun?  

I personally think it would be cool as fuck. No holster, 3 point sling. It is a pistol, like it or not.

I will have to read our CPL rules to see if it needs to be on your person or if in a discrete carry case is an option in my state.

Lots of bang for the buck while you carry, just pray you never have to use it, as they will crucify your ass in court.

And no, the cops nor the sheep will not like it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 11:21:24 AM EDT
[#28]
What are you - some kind of  gun nut!?!

*Bats you on the nose with a news paper* No! No!
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Um... a suprressed pistol is just as illegal.  Theyre available after the 1934 act as collectables only.  Its illegal to use them to protect yourself. Theyll send you to "pound you in the ear hole prison" for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top