Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:42 AM EDT
Let’s Get This Straight About the Convention
As we’re in a position to know, majority rule always has and always will guide the Republican gathering.

Bill Brock, Bob Dole, Haley Barbour, Jim Nicholson, Clayton Yeutter,  Marc Racicot and  Mel Martinez—all former national chairmen of the Republican National Committee—write:

The American people will be witnesses to an unusual, though not unprecedented, exercise in democracy this July. The Republican Party is almost certain to hold a contested, open race for its presidential nomination at its National Convention in Cleveland.

/snip/

It is not correct that a candidate who enters the convention with a plurality of delegates, although short of a majority, must receive the nomination. Such an interpretation would be a gross violation of the essential purpose of the nominating process.

If that were the rule,  Abraham Lincoln would never have been president. He came in second on the first ballot at the 1860 Republican convention, but won the nomination—with a majority of the delegates—on the third ballot. In 1976 Ronald Reagan got a million more votes than President Ford in the primaries. But Reagan did not win a majority of the delegates, President Ford did, and so he received the nomination.

Reagan understood the rules. Without complaint, he supported the winner. That’s how it works.

/snip/

The rule in both parties’ nomination conventions throughout U.S. political history is simple. The delegates make the decisions and the majority rules. The majority, no more, no less. Always.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:09:22 AM EDT
In for the harrumphing from the Donald J. Le Petomane booster club.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:13 AM EDT
They stole my nomination.

Orange tears.......
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:11:42 AM EDT
Trump is a YUUUUGE deal maker, so make a deal with Cruz
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:12:17 AM EDT
yep truly MOB rule now worked out well for the Romans too
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:13:34 AM EDT
Anybody but Katshit!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:56 AM EDT
I doubt it will happen but a Trump-Cruz ticket would literally be the best chance we have of not landing Hilldog in the White House.

It's time to be adults.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:13 AM EDT
Ted Cruz: the only guy that can beat Hillary but still can't win more than a few GOP primaries. Much electable, so Winning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:28 AM EDT
Hilliary 2016. Deal with it.

We are fucked
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
No problem....PA's delegates that are only bound to themselves have publicly announced they will support whoever wins PA on the first ballot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:17:43 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I doubt it will happen but a Trump-Cruz ticket would literally be the best chance we have of not landing Hilldog in the White House.

It's time to be adults.
View Quote

Trump Cruz would be the winning ticket.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:18:00 AM EDT
I'd be happy to vote for Cruz, but he has utterly zero chance of coming out of the convention as the nominee.

Reset your course, we are a couple months away from a Trump-Hitlary run for the general.  Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:18:01 AM EDT
The American populous is too ill-educated and has access to far reaching power via the internet for this to go as they (the government) think it will.

Just like the Ferguson riots and social justice uprisings, the facts be damned.

The American populous has their feelz and their bookface and twits. Dey president now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:21:23 AM EDT
lol

Cruz is not going to be their pick.

Bush, Ryan, Romney, Kasich or some other disgusting option is going to get tapped and will lose handily to The Pants Suit. Probably cost a majority loss in both houses as well I figure so get used to saying "Madam President" and get used to her having her way for the next 8 years.

Deal with it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:22:36 AM EDT
Quoted:
The American populous is too ill-educated and has access to far reaching power via the internet for this to go as they (the government) think it will.

Just like the Ferguson riots and social justice uprisings, the facts be damned.

The American populous has their feelz and their bookface and twits. Dey president now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:24:37 AM EDT

The world MAJORITY is used here

The majority of what/who?

Delegates or voters?

Aren't voters supposed to elect our President?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:26:43 AM EDT
Quoted:
Anybody but Katshit!
View Quote

My money rests on him to be their pick. He cannot possibly secure enough delegates to win the nomination so what other reason does he have to stay in the race at this point? I think a deal was made and in return for sticking around to siphon off delegates to block Trump/Cruz from securing 1,237 he will be appointed at the convention. Viva Mexico!

The GOP has done their best to ensure this outcome and some people who call themselves conservatives are applauding it.

No matter who wins we lose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:02 AM EDT
Quoted:
As we’re in a position to know, majority rule always has and always will guide the Republican gathering.

Bill Brock, Bob Dole, Haley Barbour, Jim Nicholson, Clayton Yeutter,  Marc Racicot and  Mel Martinez—all former national chairmen of the Republican National Committee—write:

The American people will be witnesses to an unusual, though not unprecedented, exercise in democracy this July. The Republican Party is almost certain to hold a contested, open race for its presidential nomination at its National Convention in Cleveland.

/snip/

It is not correct that a candidate who enters the convention with a plurality of delegates, although short of a majority, must receive the nomination. Such an interpretation would be a gross violation of the essential purpose of the nominating process.

If that were the rule,  Abraham Lincoln would never have been president. He came in second on the first ballot at the 1860 Republican convention, but won the nomination—with a majority of the delegates—on the third ballot. In 1976 Ronald Reagan got a million more votes than President Ford in the primaries. But Reagan did not win a majority of the delegates, President Ford did, and so he received the nomination.

Reagan understood the rules. Without complaint, he supported the winner. That’s how it works.

/snip/

The rule in both parties’ nomination conventions throughout U.S. political history is simple. The delegates make the decisions and the majority rules. The majority, no more, no less. Always.
View Quote
http://www.speakgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ted-cruz-deal-with-it-animated-gif.gif
View Quote

So you will support Jeb, Mitt, or Ryan should they be the party's nominee?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:36:07 AM EDT
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

/snip/

/snip/

http://www.speakgif.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/ted-cruz-deal-with-it-animated-gif.gif

I don't live in a swing state so my vote doesn't really matter, but no, I'd vote 3rd party if Jeb, Mitt, or Christie were the nominee.   If Ryan was the nominee I'd compare him to who the other parties are running and decide if Ryan best represents my interests or not.  I haven't really considered what I would do if that were the case because I do not believe he will be the nominee.  If he comes out of the open convention as the nominee I'll weigh my options.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:50:08 AM EDT
Quoted:

I don't live in a swing state so my vote doesn't really matter, but no, I'd vote 3rd party if Jeb, Mitt, or Christie were the nominee.   If Ryan was the nominee I'd compare him to who the other parties are running and decide if Ryan best represents my interests or not.  I haven't really considered what I would do if that were the case because I do not believe he will be the nominee.  If he comes out of the open convention as the nominee I'll weigh my options.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? Can you even see the incredible level of hypocrisy between this and your lecture on majorities and rules? FFS. You have zero credibility with this shit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:54:39 AM EDT
I believe this assessment of an open convention is incorrect.

But time will tell, won't it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:54:41 AM EDT
Quoted:

Really? Can you even see the incredible level of hypocrisy between this and your lecture on majorities and rules? FFS. You have zero credibility with this shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?  The Republican nominee (Trump, Cruz, Yeb, Ryan, _INSERT NAME HERE_) will have won a majority of the delegates at the convention.  

It is my decision to vote for that nominee or not.  I am not the author of the "lecture" in the OP, I don't know what is in the OP that would give you that impression.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:03:29 AM EDT
Quoted:

Aren't voters supposed to elect our President?

View Quote

The voters are allowed to choose between the two nominees.

As party insiders from both parties have told us this month, the parties choose the nominees.

The system provides the best of both worlds. It allows the oligarchs to maintain control while at the same time fostering the illusion of meaningful choice among those voters who pay little attention.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:06:38 AM EDT
Quoted:

WTF are you talking about?  The Republican nominee (Trump, Cruz, Yeb, Ryan, _INSERT NAME HERE_) will have won a majority of the delegates at the convention.  

It is my decision to vote for that nominee or not.  I am not the author of the "lecture" in the OP, I don't know what is in the OP that would give you that impression.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't referring to the OP. I was referring to your earlier post. Hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:08:58 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not seeing any hypocrisy here.  He thinks the party's nominee should be selected by the majority.  He doesn't think he has to blindly support whichever nominee is selected.

Those are not contradictory beliefs.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:19:10 AM EDT
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

which one? Link?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:22:41 AM EDT
Quoted:

My money rests on him to be their pick. He cannot possibly secure enough delegates to win the nomination so what other reason does he have to stay in the race at this point? I think a deal was made and in return for sticking around to siphon off delegates to block Trump/Cruz from securing 1,237 he will be appointed at the convention. Viva Mexico!

The GOP has done their best to ensure this outcome and some people who call themselves conservatives are applauding it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anybody but Katshit!

Yes, this. I have been saying this same thing for a few months now. Wife says if they do, she will write Trump in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:26:08 AM EDT
Even if they have a convention, it looks like many higher ups are going to support the candidate with the most delegates now.

You cruzaders need to face the reality that your Cuban messiah is done.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:42:34 AM EDT
Quoted:

Not seeing any hypocrisy here.  He thinks the party's nominee should be selected by the majority.  He doesn't think he has to blindly support whichever nominee is selected.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The real case of hypocrisy is Trump supporters being concerned about hypocrisy.  That would venture into paradox territory.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:47:05 AM EDT
Quoted:

The real case of hypocrisy is Trump supporters being concerned about hypocrisy.  That would venture into paradox territory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Divide by orange zero.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:55:08 AM EDT
At this point, I think Trump will get the nomination regardless of whether or not he hits the 1237 mark.  If he doesnt get to 1237 he'll be within a 100 or so delegates and Cruz won't be more than 2/3s to that mark.  The GOP is in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario, but they can't afford to alienate all the voters that went for Trump.  Plus Trump has won everywhere, Southern states, Midwest, North East, West, open primaries, closed primaries, red states, blue states, the optics of him being denied the nomination would absolutely kill the future of the GOP.  Him being on top of the ticket might hurt them for an election cycle or two, but the alternative is worse.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.