Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/10/2008 7:51:14 PM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,380147,00.html

WOODSBORO, Md. — A Maryland state trooper has been charged with manufacturing a controlled substance after police found a cultivated marijuana plant growing outside his home.

State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley says Trooper First Class Steven Spoonire was suspended without pay after his arrest Wednesday night. The 36-year-old trooper is a 16-year veteran road patrol officer, working out of Westminster.

Shipley says the plant, less than 2 feet tall, was found growing just outside the back door of a house in Woodsboro where Spoonire lives with his wife and two stepchildren. He says investigators also found marijuana seeds and drug paraphernalia inside the home.

Spoonire is also charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was released on his own recognizance.

-----------------------

And we were so close to declaring victory in the War on Drugs!!!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:53:28 PM EDT
Manufacturing??

Never heard it called that. There is nothing to manufacture!!

I am going to go out to my garden and manufacture some tomatoes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:54:25 PM EDT
I'm from Maryland.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:54:58 PM EDT
I don't understand why anyone would think pot is a drug that should be illegal.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:55:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/10/2008 7:55:47 PM EDT by GonzoAR15-1]

Originally Posted By Another_Dude:

WOODSBORO, Md. — A Maryland state trooper has been charged with manufacturing a controlled substance after police found a cultivated marijuana plant growing outside his home.

State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley says Trooper First Class Steven Spoonire was suspended without pay after his arrest Wednesday night. The 36-year-old trooper is a 16-year veteran road patrol officer, working out of Westminster.

Shipley says the plant, less than 2 feet tall, was found growing just outside the back door of a house in Woodsboro where Spoonire lives with his wife and two stepchildren. He says investigators also found marijuana seeds and drug paraphernalia inside the home.

Spoonire is also charged with possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was released on his own recognizance.

-----------------------

Mandatory smart-ass comment:

Well, with the new, tighter, controls over the evidence room. A guy's gotta get the stuff to 'plant' on folks somewhere.

Seriously, though:

BFD, except for the part where [edit nevermind] I doubt most other suspects with a live plant get let out on their own recognizance.

Fucking war on drugs.

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:55:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RDP:
Manufacturing??

It sounds so much more dangerous than "Either God or Jim grew it there".
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:56:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:

-----------------------

Mandatory smart-ass comment:

Well, with the new, tighter, controls over the evidence room. A guy's gotta get the stuff to 'plant' on folks somewhere.

Seriously, though:

BFD, except for the part where [edit nevermind] I doubt most other suspects with a live plant get let out on their own recognizance.

Fucking war on drugs.

Looks like he had quite a bit more to raid than Ryan Frederick, I wonder why the hut-hut crew wasn't called in for this one?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/10/2008 7:56:50 PM EDT by Another_Dude]
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:57:11 PM EDT
Whack.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:57:48 PM EDT
With this bust, I can say with 100% confidence that Maryland will be drug free for the next 25 seconds.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 7:58:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:05:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lightning_P38:
At that guys age it his step kids could easily be teenagers, that could explain it. I know when I was a teenager, there were other kids who did stupid shit. I can see the headlines now "Senior Army Officer growing Pot" "25 year Pilot in Army now a drug dealer!"

C'mon! Two feet from the back door?!?

No way!

Go to jail - you hypocrite asshole!
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:10:04 PM EDT

At that guys age it his step kids could easily be teenagers, that could explain it. I know when I was a teenager, there were other kids who did stupid shit. I can see the headlines now "Senior Army Officer growing Pot" "25 year Pilot in Army now a drug dealer!"

I thought that at first, but I can't see him being charged and suspended if it was someone else that was growing it. They had some reason to be checking out his back porch, and if the cops are going to believe anyone that says that the kids did it and not him...its a cop. Add in the paraphenalia they found, and I'm inclined to believe they got the right guy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:10:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/10/2008 8:12:06 PM EDT by Lon_Moer]

..says the plant, less than 2 feet tall, was found growing just outside the back door of a house in Woodsboro...

Somebody ratted him out, no way hat was found 'accidentally' .
And I don't think one 2' plant is illegal here in................uhhh..like what was I saying?
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:13:05 PM EDT
Something smells fishy to me. I have a hard time believing a 16 year veteran LE officer is going to be dumb enough to put a marijuana plant in his backyard.

Its a fuckin waste of time even investigating (1) marijuana plant in the first place but thats an argument for another day. I would be checking out the stepkids and the stepkids buddies hanging around the house.

Just doesnt smell right to me....
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:14:19 PM EDT
Typical.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:19:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:20:29 PM EDT
I'm thinking step kids........
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:20:47 PM EDT
better clean out the car more often
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:23:12 PM EDT
Another victory in the war on drugs.

Hooray!

Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:26:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:27:09 PM EDT
Thank god one more vicious criminal is off the street.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:34:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:
I don't understand why anyone would think pot is a drug that should be illegal.

someone will be along shortly to explain it to you.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:36:18 AM EDT
I know it_____ He was set up by the step kids
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:46:57 AM EDT

2 Feet from the back door is a little suspicous.

I am far from a Cop apologist, just wanted to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

I also remember having friends who lived with step parents that they didn't like, and this kind of thing was somthing I heard more than one of them pass as an idea to get back at a step dad.

I also knew one kid who joined the John Birch Society under his step dads name, and it actually did cause his step dad some real problems at work.

How would being a member of the John Birch Society cause problems at your workplace? Did he work for the Communist Party USA or something?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 1:55:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RDP:
Manufacturing??

It sounds so much more dangerous than "Either God or Jim grew it there".

He was just trying to get his herb without funding terrorism.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:04:33 AM EDT

good god. Going to jail for marijuana is nuts. So the guy likes to smoke a joint to relax after a long day of handing out tickets. Whats wrong with that.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:10:20 AM EDT
Talk about stupid wars.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:13:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/11/2008 2:14:42 AM EDT by packingXDs]
Ouch, MD is one of those states that doesn't take cultivation lightly:

Less than 50 lbs, felony, 5 years and/or $15,000

If convicted that man can say goodbye to his job, his voting privileges, his right to own guns, and everything else that stems from being a convicted felon.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:35:36 AM EDT
See what happens when you try to raise another man's mistakes. One 2' plant probably hidden in some weeds that he didn't realize was there. I'm just guessing anyway.

If he did grow it, he deserves the same sentence any non LEO would get if not more so for violating the laws he swore to uphold.

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:29:14 AM EDT

Looks like he had quite a bit more to raid than Ryan Frederick, I wonder why the hut-hut crew wasn't called in for this one?

Because Ryan Frederick was thought to have guns.

Oops. Oh well. You got me.

Another casualty in the ridiculous WoD.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:14:26 AM EDT
Only cops should have marywanna
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:24:57 AM EDT
A little conspicuous to leave it plain sight don't ya think?

16 years in Law Enforcement should have taught him that.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 4:43:02 AM EDT
I think it's funny how people say pot is wrong and should be illegal...while they finish off their six-pack.

I bet that guy let plenty of people go if he caught them with a joint. He might have confiscated it though.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:54:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Former11BRAVO:

No way!

RIF - plant was 2 ft tall and growing 'just outside' the back door.

Either the trooper is incredibly stupid or it was planted by someone else.

I'm waiting for a CA cop w/Prop 215 card to get caught growing pot..... Should be interesting.

Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:55:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By brian4wd:

No way!

I'm waiting for a CA cop w/Prop 215 card to get caught growing pot..... Should be interesting.

Brian

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:55:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Geeze:
With this bust, I can say with 100% confidence that Maryland will be drug free for the next 25 seconds.

I lol'd
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:56:56 AM EDT
Just checked to make sure it was not one of the MD state troopers I know that are less than " zealous " about the war on drugs
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:01:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By paul_the_welder:
good god. Going to jail for marijuana is nuts. So the guy likes to smoke a joint to relax after a long day of handing out tickets. Whats wrong with that.

Integrity.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:02:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:04:57 AM EDT

No way!

Brian

You are too easily amused

Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:06:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By freerider04:

Originally Posted By paul_the_welder:

Integrity.

Is that some new strain of weed?
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:06:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NewFloridaEnthusiast:
A little conspicuous to leave it plain sight don't ya think?

16 years in Law Enforcement should have taught him that.....

I have a hell of a time eradicating it on my property. It grows like mad in the fencelines. It's all I can do to keep it down, especially when it gets big... plants get like saplings - ~8-10 feet tall.

A few weeks ago, I had a man come out and spray my yard for ants and ticks. He found a bunch of pot in the back fence of my dog kennel and then advised me that he didn't spray back behind the kennel because he wasn't sure if it'd hurt my plants.

I was out with the sprayer knocking them off the next day before I became an arfcom no-knock thread.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:07:41 AM EDT
Billions upon billions of dollars spent fighting weed, and a cop is growing it.

Stellar job on the war so far, guys. You've really got your shit together. With this latest bust, I can see that victory is at hand, can't you? Any day, now.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:08:39 AM EDT

No way!

A little close for comfort, they all should have noticed and moved it further away.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 9:56:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By krpind:
I don't understand why anyone would think pot alcohol or tobacco is a drug that should be illegal.

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 10:34:15 AM EDT

No way!

Brian

Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:04:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomer8450:

No way!

Brian

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/Isee.jpg

I wish I could claim I thought of it when I posted but I can't....... I meant the step kids might have 'installed' the plant in that location

Brian
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:40:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Boomer8450:

No way!

Brian

i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/Isee.jpg

I wish I could claim I thought of it when I posted but I can't....... I meant the step kids might have 'installed' the plant in that location

Brian

Oh, come on! You didn't intend the pun! I thought it was fantastic. Laughed out loud.

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 6:10:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Adirondack47:
Something smells fishy to me. I have a hard time believing a 16 year veteran LE officer is going to be dumb enough to put a marijuana plant in his backyard.

Its a fuckin waste of time even investigating (1) marijuana plant in the first place but thats an argument for another day. I would be checking out the stepkids and the stepkids buddies hanging around the house.

Just doesnt smell right to me....

Yeah he was framed. [ / sarcasm ]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:05:53 AM EDT
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top