Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2002 5:29:01 PM EDT
I would have done a hundred times worse!

By Geralda Miller
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, July 25, 2002; 7:26 PM

DETROIT –– A Secret Service agent has admitted he scrawled anti-Muslim statements on a prayer calendar during the home search of a man charged with smuggling bogus checks into the United States, authorities said Thursday.

The incident took place when agents searched the Dearborn home of Omar Shishani, who has pleaded innocent to bringing $12 million in forged cashiers checks on a flight from Indonesia.

"This type of unprofessional behavior by a federal agent will not be tolerated," said Jeffrey Collins, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan.

Shishani's brother, Abdallah Shishani, said he and his wife found that "Islam is Evil" and "Christ is King" had been written on the prayer calendar attached to the refrigerator. Abdallah Shishani, 44, and his wife have been staying at the house since Omar Shishani's arrest, baby-sitting the man's 8-year-old twins.

Collins would not identify the agent but said he had been a Secret Service special agent for about 10 years. He was put on leave pending the investigation and could be fired, Collins said.

"It's outrageous that one of our law enforcers who swears to serve and protect is making religious slurs against individuals," said Omar Shishani's attorney, Nabih Ayad.

How bout..[b](Join the Nation of Islam)[/b][red]1st class ticket to hell![/red]

Score one for the good guys,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
He deserves a 4 week paid [s]vacation[/s] suspension for this.  Now if he had put pork chops in the fridge, I think a 6 month [s]vacation[/s] paid suspension would be in order![beer]

Link Posted: 7/25/2002 8:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid, but in these times I wouldn't be surprised to see him treated worse than the perp.

Quoted:
"This type of unprofessional behavior by a federal agent will not be tolerated," said Jeffrey Collins, the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Michigan.
View Quote

How about not tolerating our country becoming the international flop-house it is...
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 9:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
But having this guy be a secret service agent and not some local PD, I think it would be alot easier to "hide" his paid leave.  It took originality and balls.  If I were this guys CO, I'd tell him that he can't go around writing offensive slurs on prayer schedules.  Then I'd pat him on the back and buy him a beer!

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Just out of curiosity, what's the worst insult one can hurl at a Muslim? "Your momma eats pork?" What?????
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shishani's brother, Abdallah Shishani, said he and his wife found that "Islam is Evil" and "Christ is King" had been written on the prayer calendar attached to the refrigerator.
View Quote

What kind of refrigerator was it?
View Quote

Pre-ban Kenmore, blue label, frost suppresser, full auto icemaker with 20" racks. [;D]

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:11:10 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as I can tell from reading this post, the only thing the man was guilty of was bringing in a load of counterfeit paper. Last time I heard, there wasn't any law on the books that prohibited the Muslim religion. While certainly looked upon as suspect nowadays, the Muslim religion is just that, a religion, just like Buddhism, Christianity, and several others. While I am a solid supporter of the law enforcement community, what that Federal agent did was wrong, plain and simple. It seems there are those of you in here that seem to go with the current trend of bashing whoever. Seems like it wasn't that long ago that the Feds and police were popular bashing material, but after 911 that all kind of died down. This nation was built on tolerance, and until they prove themselves wrong, everyone deserves it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:48:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulating and condoning what this man did is wrong.

This type of behavior towards Muslims or Arabs in general is no different than the scowling looks and legislation we gun owners receive from liberals.

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:58:19 AM EDT
[#9]
[b]Bullhockey![/b]

What the federal agent did was wrong and he should be punished, although just a letter in his file would be sufficient in my view.

The main problem with what he did was to quite possibly jeopardize whatever criminal prosecution may result against this Muslim fellow, by permitting the jury to consider that whatever may have been discovered in the apartment could have been planted by the law enforcement personnel.

This issue would not have arisen, but for the obvious evidence that the federal agent left behind.

It will certainly give other Muslims, whose homes may be raided, the idea that they could scribble down anti-Islamic remarks in their homes and then blame those 'bigoted agents' for whatever evidence of wrongdoing was discovered.

In closing, let me say that I agree with the substance of this federal agent's remarks, just not in the manner of his delivery of them!

Eric The(AlwaysThoughtful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Congratulating and condoning what this man did is wrong.

This type of behavior towards Muslims or Arabs in general is no different than the scowling looks and legislation we gun owners receive from liberals.

the_reject
View Quote
Common sense and sound reasoning will prevail against ignorance and unwarranted hostility everytime. A big thumbs up goes to the_reject.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:03:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[b]Bullhockey![/b]Bull what? Bull hockey? A new Olympic sport or do you really think what was done was right?

What the federal agent did was wrong and he should be punished, although just a letter in his file would be sufficient in my view.

The main problem with what he did was to quite possibly jeopardize whatever criminal prosecution may result against this Muslim fellow, by permitting the jury to consider that whatever may have been discovered in the apartment could have been planted by the law enforcement personnel.

This issue would not have arisen, but for the obvious evidence that the federal agent left behind.

It will certainly give other Muslims, whose homes may be raided, the idea that they could scribble down anti-Islamic remarks in their homes and then blame those 'bigoted agents' for whatever evidence of wrongdoing was discovered.

In closing, let me say that I agree with the substance of this federal agent's remarks, just not in the manner of his delivery of them!

Eric The(AlwaysThoughtful)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This nation was built on tolerance, and until they prove themselves wrong, everyone deserves it.
View Quote

No, this nation was built on Truth, not tolerance...
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, what's the worst insult one can hurl at a Muslim? "Your momma eats pork?" What?????
View Quote

Actually, "Your momma is a porker" would be about the worst insult possible.

Or "I 'porked' your momma" would be pretty bad too.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 5:00:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[}:D]
View Quote

Even worse might be, "I had a dream last night that the prophet Muhammed was a pig.  So I killed him, kosher-style, and then cooked up some of the best tasting bacon I've ever had.  Used the leftovers to make hot dogs, and had a wonderful grill-out in my backyard that same evening.  But don't worry, I shared with you, too!"

[devil]

the_reject

{edited for spelling}
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]http://www.freep.com/news/metro/nchecks26_20020726.htm[/url]

Shishani also is under investigation for possible links to terrorism. According to court documents, Shishani has told federal officials he was a Jordanian spy in the 1970s. When he was arrested at the airport after arriving from Indonesia, he carried a paper with Arabic verses from the Koran that appeared, in translation, to refer to martyrs and apocalyptic events, the FBI has said.
View Quote

Seems like a great guy.

Collins said the Secret Service agent's conduct would be subject to review and potential discipline by the Office of Professional Responsibility of the Secret Service. The agent could lose his job, Collins said.

"His conduct is also under investigation for possible criminal charges," Collins said.

The agent could be charged with acting in excess of his authority in the execution of a search warrant, Collins said. The agent also could face charges related to civil rights violations.
View Quote

Enough? Or is he getting off easy.

Marc Connolly, a Secret Service spokesman in Washington, said the agent came forward with his admission Tuesday evening, after media reports surfaced about the graffiti.
View Quote

Seems like the agent is more of a man than the punks he was investigating. Somehow I don't see them admitting to anything unless it only involves a slap on the wrist.

"I'm glad they discovered who it was, and they'll take action," Omar Shishani's brother Abdallah Shishani, 44, said Thursday. "I just want to see justice."
View Quote

He just wants to see justice. [rolleyes]

"Wow. OK. That's good news," said Hodan Hassan, spokeswoman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Washington. "We're pleased with the swift action on this. I think this goes a long way in assuring us that as the FBI conducts their investigation, there will be zero tolerance in regards to such behavior."
View Quote

Everyone's happy! Good to see another civil rights group looking out for their criminal constituents.

Imad Hamad, Michigan director of the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee said: "It's revealed that bias and hatred does still exist -- even in elements of law enforcement agencies -- against Arab Americans, and it's not a product of imagination. . . . It's going to continue to be a challenge to all of us."
View Quote

Hatred still exists? Imagine that. I wonder what other kinds of acts will continue to be a challenge to all of us? At least they're looking in the right place!

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shishani's brother, Abdallah Shishani, said he and his wife found that "Islam is Evil" and "Christ is King" had been written on the prayer calendar attached to the refrigerator.
View Quote

What kind of refrigerator was it?
View Quote

Pre-ban Kenmore, blue label, frost suppresser, full auto icemaker with 20" racks. [;D]

Tall Shadow
View Quote

Priceless, Tall_Shadow. Absolutely priceless!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Even worse might be, "I had a dream last night that the prophet Muhammed was a pig.  So I killed him, kosher-style, and then cooked up some of the best tasting bacon I've ever had.  Used the leftovers to make hot dogs, and had a wonderful grill-out in my backyard that same evening.  But don't worry, I shared with you, too!"
[devil]
the_reject
{edited for spelling}
View Quote

Ding ding ding!!! Hold all bets, we have a fvcking winner! LMAOSBIH
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[devil]
the_reject
{edited for spelling}
View Quote

Ding ding ding!!! Hold all bets, we have a fvcking winner! LMAOSBIH
View Quote

Thank you, thank you.

[:D]

the_reject
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I haven't yet tried the "your momma" on an Arab yet. I wondered if the translation would go through? I suppose "Your mother is a pig" would work though?  >gg<
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Even worse might be, "I had a dream last night that the prophet Muhammed was a pig. So I killed him, kosher-style, and then cooked up some of the best tasting bacon I've ever had. Used the leftovers to make hot dogs, and had a wonderful grill-out in my backyard that same evening. But don't worry, I shared with you, too!"

the_reject

The only thing I would change would be that his family was at the cookout, and you stuffed one of the hotdogs up his mothers cornhole!

Balming

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top