Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/12/2003 3:46:48 PM EDT
If you could only have a single weapon for an extended journey, let say a six month cruise on a sailboat, what would it be? Remember resupply is spotty at best. No access to gunsmiths or parts. Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:49:06 PM EDT
Mossberg 590 mariner.... good supply of slugs , 00 , #4 that should do 'er t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:50:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:52:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mk_ultra: Mossberg 590 mariner.... good supply of slugs , 00 , #4 that should do 'er t
View Quote
what, are you planning on getting boarded? i'd say something with a little more range and smaller ammo. or, if weight and size is a real concern, a compact 40 cal.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:55:42 PM EDT
Fishing rod.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:56:06 PM EDT
but of course and AR..carbine..with long range and short range sighting capabilities..
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:58:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 3:59:01 PM EDT by mk_ultra]
The original post alluded to a voyage at sea... actually oddly enough in this day and age , being boarded is an issue ....there are many reports of piracy etc.... also as far as legality goes , traveling with a shotgun on a boat is a good idea because you will often be traveling in waters of a nation that does not allow the possetion of handguns , rifles or wepons of military caliber..... these are things I have read ymmv t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:05:07 PM EDT
You're more likely to get becalmed and run out of food than you are to be boarded by pirates. A shotgun is not much use unless you are into eating seagulls. Or maybe flying fish.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:05:56 PM EDT
GE mini-gun...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:10:19 PM EDT
Jennings .22, Davis .380, or a Hipoint.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:11:48 PM EDT
Something nickel-plated.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:20:33 PM EDT
or stainless. The AR15 is good, you need more reach than a pistol. A shotgun, not really useful.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:29:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By California_Kid: A shotgun is not much use unless you are into eating seagulls.
View Quote
Beats eating fish, I would assume.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:34:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:43:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 4:55:12 PM EDT by cyanide]
Originally Posted By California_Kid: You're more likely to get becalmed and run out of food than you are to be boarded by pirates. A shotgun is not much use unless you are into eating seagulls. Or maybe flying fish.
View Quote
Pirates are alive and doing well in many areas of the world, they are a real threat. A British sailor got killed for what he had aboard some time ago. It happens with alarming frequency. Don't get all tangled up with the word Pirate, they are just thieves on the water.The only reason this made the news was because he was famous. [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/sailing/1696288.stm]safe at sea ?[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:02:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:05:24 PM EDT
... M4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:16:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 5:22:34 PM EDT by Andreuha]
AK-47 custom milled from Titatium components (I would do it myself... If it was legal). Make it with a 24" barrel- heck, make that a bull-barrel, and a good 14-32x scope. Also plenty of ammo that won't corode in any way from the sea-water. Should be nice for plinking anything I pass by(floating stuff?), and killing large fish when I reel em in (Also goes for larger fish that loiter next to my boat). Wouldn't get boarded with that on board, I'd just put a few holes in the bastards' boat/crew while theyre coming to me- then steal their toys [;D] Edit: Speaking of boardings, I would also carry one of em Russian fuel-air shoulder-launch pieces. NO pirates' boat will survive one of those, even if i miss and it lands 50 yards away. Carry both of em, After all, You said 'weapon', these are tools [;)]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:18:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:26:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Andreuha: AK-47 custom milled from Titatium components (I would do it myself... If it was legal).
View Quote
It is, go for it. If legalities were OK, I would prefer an FAL. If the detachable High-Caps is an issue, give me an M1. Penetration may just be important.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:42:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 5:50:06 PM EDT by Andreuha]
Originally Posted By Ohio:
Originally Posted By Andreuha: AK-47 custom milled from Titatium components (I would do it myself... If it was legal).
View Quote
It is, go for it. If legalities were OK, I would prefer an FAL. If the detachable High-Caps is an issue, give me an M1. Penetration may just be important.
View Quote
COOL... Anyone have blue-prints for the Russian AK47? And a link to a cheap supplier of Titanium stock? Edit: I could do a FAL as well, got blue-prints?. only problem is financing this stuff. gun-making tools are expensive shit compared to regular machining equipment. Note: i'd be making all this stuff later on this summer(I can do alot of this stuff in school, but nothing that screams 'gun' (IE: barrel, furniture, reciver)- still gathering up funds for my own little machineshop never the less (I hate being dependant on someone).
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:10:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 6:17:55 PM EDT by GaryM]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson: Gary, Is this a serious post?
View Quote
Yes, somewhat. I have done a bit of sailing and... well, as I continue I will explain more
This is something I have done extensive research on and you first have to give some input for there is no simple answer. How big is the boat?
View Quote
26ft Mac26X, despite what some say it is quite capable
Where do you intend to travel?
View Quote
Have made multi-month sails as far as outer islands of the Bahamas, want to go much further eventually. Probably with bigger boat.
How do you expect to use the gun?
View Quote
Hopefully not at all unless bored and wanted to pop a round or two into the sea.
Storage is a conideration as well as what countries you may put into for the laws vary with each. How you plan to use the gun also is very important for whether it is a defensive weapon or a workhorse for shooting fish with teeth makes all the difference in the world.
View Quote
Exactly, the last long trip I took a stainless .22 revolver, non-threatening to customs but makes a loud noise as an attention getter. Also took a 12guage shotgun (Winchester 1300) it never left the case but it still had some surface rust at the end of the trip.
Most boaters worry only about defense and pack typically a SS 9mm with high cap mags. Some prefer SS .22's for shooting sharks etc before dragging on board. Others traveling pirate waters prefer assault weapons to fend off pirate powerboats.
View Quote
I understand about the pirates, one reason I tossed the shotgun in at the last minute, nothing beats it for repelling boarders (No, it wasn't expecting it but a gun takes up little room and made me sleep better when anchored in the middle of nowhere).
I never see shotguns on boats, the limited range and open pattern has many dissadvantges the foremost being shoot a fish in the head and get a hole in you boat.
View Quote
Quite understandable, I thought much the same later
Most countries will allow you to bring almost anything in the country on a boat if and only if you report it at point of entry and it doesn't leave the boat. There's typically a fee involved. Handguns are more acceptable than ARs or AKs and a longgun like a .03 more acceptable than most guns. Longrange bolt actions are not considered good defensive weapon on a boat since rate of fire is more important than acuracy due to the constant movement.
View Quote
The Bahamanian customs officer basically told me as long as it isn't an Uzi or M16 and it never leaves the boat then it is fine. But it and an accurate ammo count had to be declared.
Most mags suggest you don't take a gun at all but reality is that most boaters do and for good reason. I have known a few boaters that have waved off unwanted guests with a shot over the bow. It's easire to pick on the unarmed sheeple. In a wind chaser, you are particularly vulnerable to power boat pirates but in a small wind chaser, no one will give a shit for you won't be packing enough stuff to take or your boat can't haul enough drugs back in country. Larger the boat, the more at risk you are.
View Quote
Thats what I figured, commercial shipping is in far more danger, pirates are looking for convertible goods, not personal items with no market value.
IM me if you don't want to discuss your plans in open forum and I will let you know about what I have found out about the area. I take all the mags and research the web on this tipic all the time. Tj
View Quote
BTW, are you a sailor too? Editted to add; I have considered an AK74 but the idea of trying to explain it to a customs officer doesn't seem like fun. Pretty much the same for an AR15. I figure close range defensive shots would be the only type of personal defense shots fired but once again that takes me back to the "assault rifle/pistol types. An old reliable M1 Garand might be easier but they are complex and have lots of rustable parts. Bolt actions are accurrate but that degree of accuracy shouldn't be needed. Pistols, especially revolvers should be reliable and look innocous enough but there is that lack of firepower. Anyway, please, more ideas and comments. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:10:57 PM EDT
I decided on an AR10-2C for just this purpose. I figured the .308's penetration advantage would be more useful than .556 when shooting into/through another boat, and I like the 16" barrel for getting through hatches. Most of my non-sailing friends get a little smirky when I mention pirates, but when you do your homework, it's worrisome how commonplace it is. That Remington Marine model sure does look nice, though.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:39:29 PM EDT
Going by the other posts about Carribean customs: M1 Garand and stainless revolver in .357/.38 for the fish. Lots of ammo for both but not enough to set of the flags at customs. Lots of oil for the M1 and spend some time with it keeping it battle ready.
Top Top