BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:58 AM EDT
news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-5817482.html

Boston airport tries to kill free Wi-Fi node
By Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
Published on ZDNet News: August 3, 2005, 2:25 PM PT

Boston's Logan International Airport is attempting to pull the plug on Continental Airlines' free Wi-Fi node, which competes with the airport's $7.95-a-day pay service.

In an escalating series of threatening letters sent over the last few weeks, airport officials have pledged to "take all necessary steps to have the (Wi-Fi) antenna removed" from Continental's frequent flyer lounge. Continental's free service poses an "unacceptable potential risk" to communications gear used by the state police and the Transportation Security Administration, the letters claim.

For its part, Continental says that a 1996 law prevents local officials from meddling with wireless service and has asked the Federal Communications Commission to intervene. Its letter to the FCC argues that the agency has "exclusive jurisdiction" over Wi-Fi and should keep local authorities at bay.

"We believe that offering free Wi-Fi at Boston's Logan airport is consistent with the FCC's regulations and its prior rulings on similar issues and that it is permissible under the terms of our lease," Continental spokeswoman Julie King said Wednesday. The airline provides free wireless access at all of its Presidents Club lounges worldwide.

The Massachusetts Port Authority, or Massport, the state government agency that operates Logan airport, was not available for comment.

At stake is a sizable chunk of revenue that Massport receives from its pay-per-use Wi-Fi service, which is operated by a commercial provider called Advanced Wireless Group. Massport did not respond to queries about the current sum, but the Boston Globe reported two years ago that the contract gives Massport "up to a maximum of 20 percent of annual gross revenues, which could exceed $1 million annually."

Whether Continental will be allowed to continue its free service in its Presidents Club lounge may depend on the FCC's interpretation of an obscure set of rules that grew out of the 1996 Telecommunications Act. While Congress appears to have intended to authorize outdoor antennas and satellite dishes under a certain size, the airline claims the law covers Wi-Fi antennas built into access points--an interpretation the FCC also mentions on its Web page on the topic.
Massport is conceding nothing. Deborah Lau Kee, an attorney for the state agency, wrote in a July 5 letter that the FCC's regulations may not even be "lawful." Kee added that Continental is free to purchase access from Massport's partner at a "very reasonable rate structure for airline use based on the number of emplanements at Logan airport or on the number of 'hits.'"

The FCC has started its investigation of Continental's request and is accepting public comments until Aug. 29.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:21:22 AM EDT
[#1]
This part worries me:

While Congress appears to have intended to authorize outdoor antennas and satellite dishes under a certain size, the airline claims the law covers Wi-Fi antennas built into access points--an interpretation the FCC also mentions on its Web page on the topic.

Massport is conceding nothing. Deborah Lau Kee, an attorney for the state agency, wrote in a July 5 letter that the FCC's regulations may not even be "lawful."

I would hate to see yet another federal
agency "reinterpret" regulations.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Continental's free service poses an "unacceptable potential risk" to communications gear used by the state police and the Transportation Security Administration, the letters claim.

Yeah! I BET that's what it is!

So...... YOU'RE antennae DON'T?

What a bunch of tools. No wonder sKerry and Kennedy are their sentors!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
It has nothing to do with security it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
They're probably pissed they can't tax it....scumbags
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Reason # 4,566,376,346,174 why NOT to go to Massachusetts
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:33:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Believe me, it's NOT just MA.

I've found free wireless in the airport in Ontario, CA.  That's about it.

For god's sakes people....You can wait a friggin' hour or so before getting back on the tech teat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

For god's sakes people....You can wait a friggin' hour or so before getting back on the tech teat.

And people complain about smokers!

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
so offer ethernet......
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:45:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Often, when the plane lands that is the last chance I have to check my email before I go to a meeting.  Unless there is WiFi at the rental car place, I have to hope nothing really bad happened while I was away.

This is a shakedown pure and simple.  
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh, absolutely! No doubt in the world!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Often, when the plane lands that is the last chance I have to check my email before I go to a meeting.  Unless there is WiFi at the rental car place, I have to hope nothing really bad happened while I was away.

Trust your subordinate leaders to handle stuff.  They are hired and paid for a reason, right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It has nothing to do with security it's all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Ding ding! We have a winner!

Ben
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Believe me, it's NOT just MA.

I've found free wireless in the airport in Ontario, CA.  That's about it.

Colorado Springs and Los Vegas has free WiFi .

Thats was good cause I was stuck in Vegas for 14hrs. - I used Skype via WiFi to take care of business meanwhile.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:58:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't knock folks using the net at airports.  It has less to do with not being able to do without email, than it does to being trapped somewhere for 4 hours with nothing interesting to do during layovers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#15]
The airport is one place where internet access is most useful. Check flight loads, delays, alternate routes, book a hotel....wish it was free everywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top