Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:47:15 PM EDT
Can anybody ID the AR-15 replica in the picture below. I got one for Christmas one year in the 80's, just want to see if anybody else knows what it is

Lawmaker Sponsors Legislation Banning Fake Gun Sale

TALLAHASSEE, FL(AP) -- A South Florida lawmaker is sponsoring a legislation that would ban the sale of fake guns in the state. Senator Frederica Wilson says too many children playing with toy guns are getting shot by police in Florida and across the nation. So she's sponsoring legislation that would ban the sale of toy guns that look real.

Her plan also makes it a felony to use a toy gun while committing a crime. Wilson says she's trying to craft her legislation to align with federal laws that require toy guns to be colored or have an orange marking on the muzzle.

She adds that the legislation comes after the death of a boy in North Miami Beach, who was shot by police as he held a toy gun.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/florida/news-article.aspx?storyid=51850

Ban sought on fake guns
'This represents a real concern for us in the police department,' officer says

Feb 14, 2006
WHITBY -- They may be "toys," but they pose a real danger to police and the kids using them.

Police are encountering replica firearms on the streets of Durham Region far too often these days, and in some cases, are responding to radio calls thinking a real gun is being used.

"When we arrive on scene and we're faced with weapons like this, we could be dealing with very serious consequences that these boys don't recognize," Durham Regional Police Constable Todd Petzold said. "These weapons present a very serious threat to police officers on the streets."

Const. Petzold was at Whitby council Monday asking Town staff to create a bylaw banning the possession and use of replica firearms in public among those under 18 years of age. The townships of Scugog and Uxbridge recently implemented similar bylaws, and Const. Petzold is taking his message to other municipalities in Durham Region asking them to do the same.

There is a bylaw that currently regulates the sale and possession of imitation firearms to people under the age of 18, but no bylaw regulating the possession of replica firearms. The new bylaw would not extend to private property.

When an officer responds to a call involving imitation firearms, oftentimes the call that comes into the police station is "there's two guys outside shooting each other," Const. Petzold said. When police arrive on scene, it can be dark and late at night -- conditions that make it hard for police to tell the difference between the real guns and the fake ones. Some of these "toys" are even equipped with laser sights, he added.

"We don't know what we're dealing with," Const. Petzold said. "When we arrive, we're carrying real guns... (and) we have our policies that we are to respond with. They could be facing deadly force when we arrive."

Aside from telling local municipalities about the threat posed by replica firearms, Const. Petzold is also talking to students about the hazards as well. As a high school liaison officer for north Durham, he visits schools informing students that fake guns can be mistaken for real ones.

"Essentially, what we're doing is trying to protect the young people," he said. "The kids are recognizing the danger and they are turning them into the police now. This represents a real concern for us in the police department. What we're asking is that we not see them in the streets, on our playgrounds, in our schools or our stores."

At Monday's council meeting, a wide variety of replica firearms confiscated from youth in Durham were on display. In some instances, charges were laid against youth for using them, Const. Petzold said.

"Until I got real close, I thought they were real," Councillor Gerry Emm said.

Council is expected to implement a bylaw banning the possession of replica firearms in public by youth at its next meeting of council on Feb. 27.

http://www.durhamregion.com/dr/regions/top_stories/story/3319803p-3842771c.html

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like they should pass legislation to make cops carry toy guns & the problem's solved. You know, those things are dangerous!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I almost got kicked out of high school for having a Daisy airsoft-like replica of a Beretta 92.  I had done some mods on it to make it look a little more realistic and took it on a school trip to show it off to my friends.  Kept it in my suitcase, got it out to show off.

As luck would have it my dumbass roomie opened the door at that moment and the fat bitch of a guidance counselor saw it.  My dad is/was a teacher in the school system and went to bat for me.

In exchange, I got to smash the gun with a sledge hammer.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Times are changing Fast

When I was in school, people would bring guns to school often...keep them in your trunk. There was a few times during deer season when kids left rifles in the cab of their trucks or the back or their cars and teachers saw them. Theyd just Pull the kid aside, tell him to leave and take it home. After school we used to fool around with paintball guns in the parking lot. Nobody said a thing. In shop class I was working on a Zip gun. I used to make potato guns too.
I graduated in 2003 also. I guess that these are some of the benefits of going to a small school with lots of country bumbkin/ farm boy/ Hunters
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that the BB gun version,i had one when i was a kid.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've still got one.  Doesn't look anything like an actual AR.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well is that it? or is that an Armscor 22
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:19:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok a M16A1, just being general in my first post With the carry handle, detachable mag for pellet clip(yes I said clip because it applies in this instance) storage. sights, and overall EBR look what does it resemble then ?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well is that it? or is that an Armscor 22

It's a Crosman Model AIR-17. Shot BBs and .177 pellets that were loaded from little clips. I loved mine and my brother dropped it out of a canoe when we were kids and it sank in the river
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My Dad quite literally rode a horse to school.  With a Winchester lever action in the scabbard.  My aunt, who was the school teacher in the one-room schoolhouse (yes, they did exist) let him keep it in the "cloak room".  He would often pick up ammo from the general store on his way home from school.  They ran a tab.

When I was a kid (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) it was not uncommon to see men carrying revolvers in holsters openly.

How times have changed.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:35:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My Dad quite literally rode a horse to school.  With a Winchester lever action in the scabbard.  My aunt, who was the school teacher in the one-room schoolhouse (yes, they did exist) let him keep it in the "cloak room".  He would often pick up ammo from the general store on his way home from school.  They ran a tab.

When I was a kid (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) it was not uncommon to see men carrying revolvers in holsters openly.

How times have changed.

In the early 90's we were allowed to have hunting rifles in our trucks at school as long as they were out of sight, that was the official policy. Hell judging from the way things are going now it will be illegal for kids to play with toy guns before too long, the police might shoot them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top