View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By Kalahnikid:
No serious injuries, I'm fine.

That's all the excitement I got for ya.

You getting your strength back?

I am not.  It is worrisome.

We humans lose muscle really quickly if we don't use it, and you were down and out for a good while. Is that part of it maybe?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Witnessed a vehicle rollover with injuries on my commute home. Me and 2 other cars stopped to render aid, I was the one that called 911 and directed traffic while they tried to get people out.

Once LEO/EMS started showing up en masse I was just in the way and left. Gave the first cop there my card and told him to call me if he needed a statement.

Was totally calm until I was about a mile from home then started feeling the adrenaline a little bit.

Watched them pull a kid with a bloody face and a pregnant woman out of the car.

Then I got home and got drunk.

Good enough story for ya?
View Quote

My best friend is a flight medic and deals with some pretty horrific shit like that everyday. I’m glad I’m out of that business. The attrition rate they experience due to that kind of stuff is pretty bad, higher than I thought. Pretty much every single one of them goes home and gets drunk after every shift they work. If they don’t, they generally end up getting fired eventually for stealing fentanyl out of the drug box. It’s the most dysfunctional place I’ve heard of, and that’s including my limited time with the Rangers.

At least you handled it the way it should be handled. Stay in the game and do what you have to do, block out the bad shit and mental stress until later.

You know that feeling you had when you realized bad shit was happening and you just started doing what you knew needed to be done? Maybe you didn’t even realize you even a HAD a feeling, but you did, that initial chemical dump that kept you functioning. People get addicted to that. There is some evidence that there is a real, physical addiction to that chemical dump and it’s what keeps people in professions like that and that military coming back to work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]

I am not.  It is worrisome.

View Quote

Is your community effected by  any of the floods?
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dbrad197:

My best friend is a flight medic and deals with some pretty horrific shit like that everyday. I’m glad I’m out of that business. The attrition rate they experience due to that kind of stuff is pretty bad, higher than I thought. Pretty much every single one of them goes home and gets drunk after every shift they work. If they don’t, they generally end up getting fired eventually for stealing fentanyl out of the drug box. It’s the most dysfunctional place I’ve heard of, and that’s including my limited time with the Rangers.

At least you handled it the way it should be handled. Stay in the game and do what you have to do, block out the bad shit and mental stress until later.

You know that feeling you had when you realized bad shit was happening and you just started doing what you knew needed to be done? Maybe you didn’t even realize you even a HAD a feeling, but you did, that initial chemical dump that kept you functioning. People get addicted to that. There is some evidence that there is a real, physical addiction to that chemical dump and it’s what keeps people in professions like that and that military coming back to work.
View Quote

I'll admit I'm a wuss and that shit ain't for me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 3:36:41 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote

You just need bigger doses bruh. Go start a gunfight somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Today is my kids last, first day of high school.  So crazy.  I got up early to make breakfast and see her and the wife out before I start my busy day. I just can't believe where the time went. On another note It's been raining all night and it's nice to actually get some moisture here, we need it so bad.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:15:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Witnessed a vehicle rollover with injuries on my commute home. Me and 2 other cars stopped to render aid, I was the one that called 911 and directed traffic while they tried to get people out.

Once LEO/EMS started showing up en masse I was just in the way and left. Gave the first cop there my card and told him to call me if he needed a statement.

Was totally calm until I was about a mile from home then started feeling the adrenaline a little bit.

Watched them pull a kid with a bloody face and a pregnant woman out of the car.

Then I got home and got drunk.

Good enough story for ya?
View Quote

You are a good man for stopping.   Yea the adrenaline dump is awesome 👍🏻 that's why people do that type of work or extreme sports
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ontime1969:
Today is my kids last, first day of high school.  So crazy.  I got up early to make breakfast and see her and the wife out before I start my busy day. I just can't believe where the time went. On another note It's been raining all night and it's nice to actually get some moisture here, we need it so bad.
View Quote

She'll have new adventures soon
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ontime1969:

You are a good man for stopping.   Yea the adrenaline dump is awesome 👍🏻 that's why people do that type of work or extreme sports
View Quote

Fuck that, I'm a boring homebody.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey remember a couple days ago when I posted about witnessing an accident and stopping? No fucking shit today on the interstate I witnessed someone take a sharply curving ramp too fast and roll off the high side. It was far enough ahead of me that cars between me and the wreck started stopping for help so I didnt.

Ive firsthand witnessed three vehicular accidents (serious enough that would have injuries) and two of them were in the last three days. WTF is going on?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey remember a couple days ago when I posted about witnessing an accident and stopping? No fucking shit today on the interstate I witnessed someone take a sharply curving ramp too fast and roll off the high side. It was far enough ahead of me that cars between me and the wreck started stopping for help so I didnt.

Ive firsthand witnessed three vehicular accidents (serious enough that would have injuries) and two of them were in the last three days. WTF is going on?
View Quote

Do you have a strange smell of sulfur in your house somewhere? Cattle mutilations ? Do flowers die when you walk by them? I watch a lot of Supernatural and am somewhat of demon expert because of it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:33:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

We have a test course at work used for driver training and suspension/tire evaluation.  It's sort of like a racetrack, but it's not used that way. It's been open probably 10-15 years.  In that time we have had four fires on that course; and they all happened within a three month period. None before, none since.
None of them were related in any way, either.  Just weird.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

The sight of blood no longer excites me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#17]

veni, vidi, vici

Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

veni, vidi, vici

View Quote

Motto of ODA 791
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By uxb:

Motto of ODA 791
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ad_nauseam:

veni, vidi, vici

Motto of ODA 791

I think they may have gotten it from someone else.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

We have a test course at work used for driver training and suspension/tire evaluation.  It's sort of like a racetrack, but it's not used that way. It's been open probably 10-15 years.  In that time we have had four fires on that course; and they all happened within a three month period. None before, none since.
View All Quotes

Damn!

You have any lasting effects of your covid?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

I would think not
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:56:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uxb] [#22]

I think they may have gotten it from someone else.
View Quote

They did.  But they applied it in daily use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Damn!

You have any lasting effects of your covid?
View Quote

Brain fog, fatigue.  I'm having trouble controlling my hand and fingers, light spasms and either hold too tight or drop things. Not sure if it's related, but the timing is sus.  Typing is very hard and painful.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#24]

Brain fog, fatigue.  I'm having trouble controlling my hand and fingers, light spasms and either hold too tight or drop things. Not sure if it's related, but the timing is sus.  Typing is very hard and painful.
View Quote

My understanding is COVID causes some inflammation in the brain and which leads to the symptoms you are having. I had similar (not exactly the same, but similar) stuff going that eventually worked itself out, but the symptoms are scary.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:38:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dbrad197] [#25]
Monday my wife started getting sick, and so did my Big buddy Kira who has been my literal constant companion for 15 years. She’s that stereotypical  GSD who won’t even let me go pee without supervision. I stayed up all night with her, And by Tuesday Kira was dead and my wife was down with a 103 fever. She ended up with COVId pretty bad. Been a fucked up week for me and for her, she was extremely ill and trying to grieve Kira as well.

Yesterday I called a mobile nurse and got her shot up with some fluids and some various vitamins, and a bit of toradol on top of it all to help with some of her pain. Today she had a huge turn around today, feeling way better and out of bed finally, thank god.

I’m fucking devastated for Kira, she’s been with me for so much that functioning without her feels kind of wrong.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm glad your wife is better, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she's been there with you through a lot of shit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm glad your wife is better, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure she's been there with you through a lot of shit.
View Quote

Thanks man. Even last night her cough was super rough and I was starting a to get vaguely worried, and today around 10 AM it’s like someone flipped a switch and she started feeling better.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Thanks man. Even last night her cough was super rough and I was starting a to get vaguely worried, and today around 10 AM it’s like someone flipped a switch and she started feeling better.
View All Quotes

That's a lot worse than I had it.

Glad she got over it though. If it's anything like what I had last month now she'll want to sleep for a few days.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#29]

That's a lot worse than I had it.

Glad she got over it though. If it's anything like what I had last month now she'll want to sleep for a few days.
View Quote

Hope so, this could be my big chance to play some video games tomorrow if she stays asleep all day.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#37]

It is a part of it, though a small part.  I lose muscle and conditioning much faster than I did 20 or even 10 years ago.

However it is more than that.  Still sleeping 12 hours a day.

Doing good there.  Down from 16 week before last.

It's not a matter of suck it up and crack on with it.  It's a matter of, "ask my body to do something and it simply will not.  Can't walk down the driveway and back up it without having to sit down half way back up."

I'm better than that now. But when I typed the last response, I was not.  Feels like I have turned a corner.  Need to turn some more, but some better now.
View Quote

Keep working on getting better
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#38]

On a much, much, MUCH lower level, I was once addicted to that, plus the TEAM thing. The feeling of being part of a cohesive unit that can get a job done nobody else can do.

The SAR dog training, and searches were really fucking awesome.  

I was addicted to it, and I still miss it.

And it was NOTHING compared to the levels you would get in combat or running ambulance, fighting fire, etc.  When everything around you is trying to kill you, that's a thing.
View Quote

Plowing snow as a team when its a blizzard and wrecks are piling up all over....plus your truck is breaking down and you need to figure out how to fix it.

Its a little taste of it.

The teamwork, comradeship, overcoming adversity, shared misery.....for the win.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#39]

OMG.  I'm so very sorry.

No words help, but praying for you and for her.

Kira will meet you when you cross that bridge.  You will see her again.

You might even see her now and then, lying in her old spot.  It'll just be a flicker in the corner of your eye and it'll take you by surprise and you'll think, "okay I'm insane."

But you're not.

They check on us.  They worry when we grieve, because the veil doesn't seem so impenetrable to them.
View Quote

I like that thought.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:00:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kalahnikid] [#41]

Yes.  That's it!

View Quote

Shared misery is an important component

"hey, remember how much that sucked?"
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:25:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Eh. Unpopular here Most threads I post in die.but I'm here
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:31:50 PM EDT
[#44]

It is a part of it, though a small part.  I lose muscle and conditioning much faster than I did 20 or even 10 years ago.

However it is more than that.  Still sleeping 12 hours a day.

Doing good there.  Down from 16 week before last.

It's not a matter of suck it up and crack on with it.  It's a matter of, "ask my body to do something and it simply will not.  Can't walk down the driveway and back up it without having to sit down half way back up."

I'm better than that now. But when I typed the last response, I was not.  Feels like I have turned a corner.  Need to turn some more, but some better now.
View Quote

That’s how it was for me, extremely slow and sometimes hard to perceive improvements. Sometimes I would have to look back 7-10 days to see my improvement, but it was there, and it just keeps slowly happening. Keep up with the patience and you will get there, it may take way longer than you would like but it will happen.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:39:12 PM EDT
[#45]

OMG.  I'm so very sorry.

No words help, but praying for you and for her.

Kira will meet you when you cross that bridge.  You will see her again.

You might even see her now and then, lying in her old spot.  It'll just be a flicker in the corner of your eye and it'll take you by surprise and you'll think, "okay I'm insane."

But you're not.

They check on us.  They worry when we grieve, because the veil doesn't seem so impenetrable to them.
View Quote

Yeah that’s already happened with Kira, and I’ve spotted Jake more than once. I know the other dogs have too, pretty crazy when it happens. Leaves a peaceful feeling in the house for awhile.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#46]

Yeah that’s already happened with Kira, and I’ve spotted Jake more than once. I know the other dogs have too, pretty crazy when it happens. Leaves a peaceful feeling in the house for awhile.
View Quote

Sorry to hear about Kira.  I almost missed it in all the other traffic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:42:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#47]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Monday my wife started getting sick, and so did my Big buddy Kira who has been my literal constant companion for 15 years. She’s that stereotypical  GSD who won’t even let me go pee without supervision. I stayed up all night with her, And by Tuesday Kira was dead and my wife was down with a 103 fever. She ended up with COVId pretty bad. Been a fucked up week for me and for her, she was extremely ill and trying to grieve Kira as well.

Yesterday I called a mobile nurse and got her shot up with some fluids and some various vitamins, and a bit of toradol on top of it all to help with some of her pain. Today she had a huge turn around today, feeling way better and out of bed finally, thank god.

I’m fucking devastated for Kira, she’s been with me for so much that functioning without her feels kind of wrong.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365303/342402D9-1F25-4D5C-A749-1E1011750FCE-2480098.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/365303/7484C2A5-94A2-4FED-8BDA-8F304D0893D0-2480099.jpg
View Quote

Oh no Dbrad.  I'm really sorry about Kira.

Link Posted: 8/21/2022 11:43:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Hope you've all been well.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 1007
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top