Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2003 12:28:22 PM EDT
I've got stock that is book-entry with a financial co. I'm not market savy by any means. I'd like to sell my shares at a point and cash out. The company they're with only does lump sales once a week, so that could mean $2 a share difference when they sell from what I've seen. I'm thinking about transfering it to someone like Scottrade, or Ameritrade. I want to cash out at some point and be able to do it over the net with a minimum of fees. How long does it typically take to set up a new account with one of these firms? Who seems to be the easiest to use and manage?
I've held the stock for at least 18 months, what can I expect in the way of taxes when I cash out?
I was planning on entering a limit order (correct term?) so that when it hit a certain amount, it would sell.
I assume that most brokerages set you up with a kind of bank account so that you can write a check against any cash balance that you have after a sale. Is that pretty standard or is that something extra that you have to request?
Thanks in advance for any help.`
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top