Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 3:12:24 PM EDT
I am looking for a 50" plasma and wondered if anyone has bought one from any of the online plasma warehouses? Plasma Depot, DTV city, DTV Express, Etc..

Prices look alot lower but i wonder about spending so much from someone without a storefront. Is it hard to get service after the purchase? maybe they are selling refurbished units? any input would be helpfull?

And yes I am aware of the chance of burn in and the shorter life of plasma but i have an entertainment center with an electric lift built in and the unit must be less than 5" deep.

I am currently looking at the 50" Samsung HP-R5072 at crutchfield.

Stinger
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:15:48 PM EDT
Becareful buying mailorder or on the internet. The problem arises when you get a defective product and try to return it. You havent had an adventure until you try to return a huge TV. Most of the time you will have to ship it to the manufacturer and not the store.

Other then that there are tremendous deals on the internet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:20:33 PM EDT
My friend bought one from a place in NYC. No problems with it and was delivered in a shock rpoof way. The only thing that was of concern was that this place was not on the authorized distributer list. So he a little concerned about it may be gray market and in the future getting warranty work. But he bought it already so tough. make sure the warranty is will be honored by whatever company the thing is made by.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 3:25:03 PM EDT by Max_Mike]
Crutchfield

www.crutchfield.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:27:03 PM EDT
read the title and did a huge WTF.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:31:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 3:31:32 PM EDT by No-Worries]
I've purchased two Panny Plasma's from www.visualapex.com and haven't had a problem. They're an AUTHORIZED dealer by the manufacturer and I think that makes a difference if you ever have problems with the item.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:35:49 PM EDT
From the research I have done on the exact topic, stay away from any electronics dealer with a manhattan address. More than likely very shady. If you go to www.fatwallet.com and search around, you can find some awesome deals and ideas
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 3:38:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

www.bloodservices.ca/CentreApps/Internet/UW_V502_MainEngine.nsf/resources/Blood+Process/$file/Step6_150.jpg

that's what I thought. I figured it was another ebay thing like the pacemaker.

As for the TV, make sure you get insurance on the shipping and whether online or local, get the extended warranty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:15:41 PM EDT
I've been researching this very subject for a couple of months now. Currently having a new house built and will be purchasing a 50" plasma for over the fireplace..

For some very good research, go here: www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40, you'll find thread after thread there discussing online purchasing of plasmas.

On the AVS site the business No-Worries above mentioned, www.visualapex.com/avs/, and also www.tvauthority.com get very high marks for their online buying service.

Depending on what your needs are with the TV, you might be able to save a few $ and have better looks ( IMO ) and get one of the Panasonic (pretty much the leader in plasma tech right now) commercial displays. The commercial line does not have any internal tuners or speakers, so they are really only for those that will be using a setop box and home theater receiver in a different location wired up to the TV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:28:30 PM EDT
Thanks for the info guys

Stump, I am looking for one with all the tuners and speakers built in as the kids and wife will be using this as our main TV.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:30:35 PM EDT
If you want a plasma in the 40 watt range you've come to the right place!

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:32:05 PM EDT
Im not partial to Plasma anymore. DLP is kicking it's arse.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:43:13 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

DLP and LCD have alot going for them but i am stuck with anything that has a depth of 5" or less to fit in my entertainment center.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 5:45:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stinger:

Originally Posted By FieroLoki:

DLP and LCD have alot going for them but i am stuck with anything that has a depth of 5" or less to fit in my entertainment center.

Next thing would be to remove the entertainment center and go projection. To me Plasma just is not worth it. Thats just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:20:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 6:21:19 PM EDT by Sig223]
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:24:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mjohn3006:

www.bloodservices.ca/CentreApps/Internet/UW_V502_MainEngine.nsf/resources/Blood+Process/$file/Step6_150.jpg

+1. I thought you were a scientist.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:13:46 PM EDT
not a scientist but i can see how that title might look like that.

I suppose that it would be illegal to buy plasma (blood) just over the internet? but then agian why would you want to..
Top Top