Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:27:44 PM EDT
    Well, here's my situation.  Im in NY and am finishing up my A.S. in Business Admin.  I"ll be moving to Colorado, and will be getting involved in a business.  I need flexibility in my schedule, and just wont have the ability to dedicate a certain day/time to a classroom education.  I've givien thought to getting a Bachelors degree online...

My question is are online degrees well regarded?  For those that have obtained them, do you have any reccomendations/suggestions?

Also, what are the top institutions that offer them?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#1]
In order for anyone to take you seriously, you better stick with a real accredited school.
There are online schools that are actually accredited, which means the diploma holds the
same value as any other accredited school.  
Granted, it isn't Harvard or anything, but at least it isn't some off-shore college.

http://www.excelsior.edu/

You can essentially transfer what you have taken, then look for schools with
approved online courses that will transfer.  They will allow you to accumulate
credits towards your degree from all over the place.  Once you get the hours,
and you pay them their fee, they give you a degree.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
My wife is a Human resources manager for a state agency in California. They don't like online degrees. Diploma mills are everywhere on the 'net. In the long run you will be better off getting a real degree.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#3]

While there are a some legitimate brick-and-mortar programs that are starting to offer on-line/remote courses and possibly even diplomas, MOST of the on-line degrees are not accredited or legitmiate, and I think that most people are wary of considering them to be anything even close to a "real" degree.

If you just want the knowledge, I'd buy some used textbooks from a college bookstore, and plow your way through them.  If you want the legitimacy and credibility, you'll often have to get a traditional degree.  

But, I may be biased, since I work for a highly ranked (and grotesquely expensive) traditional university.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Diploma.com Be who you want to be!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:29:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out

www.athabascau.ca/

University of Athabasca in Alberta, funded by the Alberta govt.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athabasca_University

Whatever you decide to go with, reasearch it well, check accreditions.

And do a search on deja.com  and see if its a mill or legit

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:22:40 AM EDT
[#7]
There are a variety of Regionally Accredited colleges/universities that offer external degrees, such as Thomas Edison State College, Regents College, Charter Oak State College, etc. I suggest you stick with a college that is regionally accredited because it is truly the only accreditation that counts when it comes to your undergrad degree.

That being said, you should also look into CLEP. Sure, you have the AS down, but there are plenty of other upper level credits you can test out of and that will cut down on the amount of time needed to complete your BS degree.

Just my two pennies, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:26:24 AM EDT
[#8]
My wife is pulling a double bachelors with an (accredited) online school who's brick and mortar in South Dakota.  Due to it's location we are paying a third less for the degree's then with the local Univ.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:36:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Online degrees piss me off.  They don't do anything but devalue the traditional degree by giving degrees to people who wouldn't have ordinarily been able to get one.  

You want a degree, or a graduate degree?  Oh, you wanted it to be easy?  Fock you.  Take out a loan and take your ass to class.  Can't do it?  TFB.

This kind of shit is why a bachelor's degree isn't worth any more than a high-school diploma was 25 years ago.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:39:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm planning on getting my masters in nuclear engineering online at Penn State
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Online degrees piss me off.  They don't do anything but devalue the traditional degree by giving degrees to people who wouldn't have ordinarily been able to get one.  

You want a degree, or a graduate degree?  Oh, you wanted it to be easy?  Fock you.  Take out a loan and take your ass to class.  Can't do it?  TFB.

This kind of shit is why a bachelor's degree isn't worth any more than a high-school diploma was 25 years ago.  

A lot of OCS commissions are coming through these degrees now.

Must......bite......my.......tongue........about.........OCS........

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Tagaroo
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
There are plenty of real schools that offer online classes. Your degree from one of them isn't any different than if you had spent 4 years in their class rooms. That said, depending on what degree you intend to get, you will probably have to spend time in a real classroom somewhere.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#15]
maybe they e-mail you your diploma  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted: Online degrees piss me off.  They don't do anything but devalue the traditional degree by giving degrees to people who wouldn't have ordinarily been able to get one.  

I'm sorry if online degrees piss you off, and I'm sorry you had to suffer through four years of classroom grief, but how about a little paradigm shift - thing's change and attitudes should also change. There is a perception that taking an online class, or completing a degree via online classes, is somehow "easier" - well, it really isn't. Not all of the schools, but many of them require the student to attend real-time classes online, which usually consists of Q&A style input from the students. WIth regard to tests, many of the schools require the use of a proctor to ensure integrity during the testing. Sure, a student can still cheat with on-line classes, just the same as with brick & mortar classes and that means the degree is worthless in the real life when the skills and knowledge are needed to perform.

There are certain degrees that will never fit the online/distance format due to the technical nature of their requirements, while some courses lend themselves easily. Its a shame you, and other people with similar mind-sets, have such a low opinion of online/distance courses, but there are a lot of people that were unable to attend or complete their degrees when they were in their 20s (like you?) but in their 40s or 50s have the financial resources to complete same. I believe adult learners are much more inclined to perform at a peak level and actually learn than the 19/20 year old. I know that my freshman and sophmore years in college I (and many others) spent more time worrying about getting laid and partying than actually learning something. So the whole "brick & mortar" mentality is flawed.

Just my $.04 (that's $.02 x 2 posts on this topic)

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:18:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Here is my experience:
I went to a large acredited school - there were many dumbasses who cheated and barely got by but still got the piece of paper.  I know some who went to small schools and they are doing extremely well in their field and know their craft.
So I think that it is not where you go to school, but what knowledge was presented to you (and yes, with technology, that can be over the internet) and how you apply that knowledge.  It is up to the individual to learn the stuff regardless of brick & mortar or internet delivery systems.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Here is my experience:
I went to a large acredited school - there were many dumbasses who cheated and barely got by but still got the piece of paper.  I know some who went to small schools and they are doing extremely well in their field and know their craft.
So I think that it is not where you go to school, but what knowledge was presented to you (and yes, with technology, that can be over the internet) and how you apply that knowledge.  It is up to the individual to learn the stuff regardless of brick & mortar or internet delivery systems.

+1

Getting an education any way you can is more important in my humble opinion.  You can knock someone that gets an online degree but that person obviously is displaying some drive to get er done.

Max
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:40:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Dude.. a piece of paper that says you showed up for class and passed a test don’t mean you know squat..

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Why do you even think this?  These are people who most likely have full-time jobs, families and all the other responsibilities that go w/ life.  If anything, it's easier in your 20's to get a degree the conventional route.

Who said it was about easy?  You sound kind of bitter about something.

I have no idea where you got this idea, so i cannot comment on it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Just because a person is taking online classes doesn't mean they are looking for a degree the "easy" way.  Some of us happen to work 60 hours a week, have more than one job, and dont have time to drive to a normal school to attend classes with a bunch of kids that just graduated high school and are in college because they dont have anything else do.  Some of online students have careers and families to take care of. You act like you are some god-send since you parked your ass in a class for 4 years. You need to get over yourself.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#23]
To answer the original question; a lot of fully accredited schools now offer online programs. Take a look into various schools and see what is being offered
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Real classes can be stupid. Dealing with egomaniacal professors, stupid classmates in your project teams, and a bunch of assinine BS assignments does not make someone great in their field. All you are doing is handing over $60k to the university, killing time/brain cells and adding stress just for a piece of paper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:21:53 AM EDT
[#25]
shootemup

Where is Colorado are you moving to? Phoenix University is very big in Colorado Springs and offers a very good opportunity either at one of their campuses in Colorado Springs, on line or both.My wife and I have some experience with their criminal justice degree and nurse practitioner degree seem to be very good and well respected in those circles. I cant tell you anything about their business degree but I do have a friend that received a bussines degree from Phoenix and he is now part of the command staff of the Colorado State Patrol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:28:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I am currently taking an on-line gynocologist course.  The lab work is wonderful!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:10:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I find your anger funny. You are one of the guys who make me sick at regular college.
I turned a Technical School education in to an associates degree on-line (ha, ha, ha) and now supervise a 350 bed hospital nursing staff and daily patient care operations.
I wish the worst to bricks and morter schools. A bunch of pompus assholes with lots of letters behind their names.
When I have to, I will get a BS online.
Did it at my pace, probably cheaper.
I could go on.
To the original poster..online is the way to go. Just make sure credits transfer and the school has a ligit reputation.
Please IM if you specific questions.
J.G. online AD RN
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Many "brick and mortar schools" are offering online courses for their students.
How is this different from entire schools that are online?

I took a religion class 13 years ago at a state university which was teleconferenced with
several other schools.  (it was either that, or music).  I don't think getting your lecture via
television is any different than doing it via the internet.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because a person is taking online classes doesn't mean they are looking for a degree the "easy" way.  Some of us happen to work 60 hours a week, have more than one job, and dont have time to drive to a normal school to attend classes with a bunch of kids that just graduated high school and are in college because they dont have anything else do.  Some of online students have careers and families to take care of. You act like you are some god-send since you parked your ass in a class for 4 years. You need to get over yourself.  

No, my right to bitch comes from the fact that I went to a Big 10 school for my graduate degree full-time (last year)and still maintained my household, and I have to listen to whiny shits who think it's too tough to show up for a real class.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find your anger funny. You are one of the guys who make me sick at regular college.
I turned a Technical School education in to an associates degree on-line (ha, ha, ha) and now supervise a 350 bed hospital nursing staff and daily patient care operations.

I wish the worst to bricks and morter schools. A bunch of pompus assholes with lots of letters behind their names.

I could go on.
To the original poster..online is the way to go. Just make sure credits transfer and the school has a ligit reputation.
J.G. online AD RN

I in turn find YOUR ANGER funny.

You do realize that American universities OWN the world in terms of research and innovation, right?  And in terms of the training that they provide to the aerospace industry, medical technology, biotech, mathematics, etc...   Why do you think chinese graduate students FLOCK to our univerisites for their training?  I've got an inbox full of chinese and indian students kissing my ass to get into our doctoral programs.

The purpose of a lot of universities isn't just the granting of degrees, so try to be a little less narrow-minded about it.  Just because a traditional brick-and mortar university isn't useful TO YOU doesn't mean it's not useful.

As manufacturing and services leave the U.S. to head for markets with lower production and labor costs, one of the FEW competitive advantages we will have is the quality of our research institutions, many of which are the large universities.  Lose that, and we are truly fucked, and the chinese will eat our lunch.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could go on.
J.G. online AD RN

I in turn find YOUR ANGER funny.

You do realize that American universities OWN the world in terms of research and innovation, right?  And in terms of the training that they provide to the aerospace industry, medical technology, biotech, mathematics, etc...   Why do you think chinese graduate students FLOCK to our univerisites for their training?  I've got an inbox full of chinese and indian students kissing my ass to get into our doctoral programs.

The purpose of a lot of universities isn't just the granting of degrees, so try to be a little less narrow-minded about it.  Just because a traditional brick-and mortar university isn't useful TO YOU doesn't mean it's not useful.

As manufacturing and services leave the U.S. to head for markets with lower production and labor costs, one of the FEW competitive advantages we will have is the quality of our research institutions, many of which are the large universities.  Lose that, and we are truly fucked, and the chinese will eat our lunch.

The foreign students (Chinese and Indian) students flock here because its easier to get a degree in the US than in their countries. Chinese and Taiwanese universities are significantly more difficult to get into and graduate compared to the top 5 grad schools in the US. In addition, it looks better on THEIR resumes to have a US degree compared to their colleagues in their home country when they go back to get a job there. The girls just eat it up there: "woooooo you went to school in the US??!?!!!"

The majority of them don't even know proper English, let alone write proper term papers but they somehow manage to get their degree. They have circles of students that pass notes, exam materials, and basically cheat to get higher grades.

B&M degrees are all about tradition, high tuition rates, more tradition, and kissing stuck up professors' asses to get by. I am not sure how you run your classes, but I have seen some good down-to-earth instructors and some egomaniacal jerks who were probably once dictators in a third world country.

College courses are all about teaching the materials needed in preparation for you to conduct research in your Master or PhD program. It is NOT about teaching you skills you need on the job, or for a trade. For the folks that work full-time IN THEIR FIELD (like engineers), a MS degree in that field is practically worthless unless you're in industry (pay raise) or conducting research full-time. Been there, done that.

As long as your online program is accredited, give it a try.

Business programs should be AACSB accredited or IACBE accredited at the very least.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, my right to bitch comes from the fact that I went to a Big 10 school for my graduate degree full-time (last year)and still maintained my household, and I have to listen to whiny shits who think it's too tough to show up for a real class.

you must either be superman, or never sleep.  I could never have done it all like that.  My wife and chldren need their time w/ me.  I work full-time.  I cook, clean, do dishes and laundry, mow the grass in the summer and clear snow in the winter.  dang, just listing this stuff is making me tired.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#33]
I have 2 courses left and will be getting my Bachelors degree in April from the University of Phoenix ONLINE. They are an APA accredited school and no one alive will take what I have accomplished in the last 4 years away from me. I'm 38, married and have a 13 year old son. I can't do the traditional way (you know, going to 1 class a day and getting drunk or high the rest of the day with your buddies in your dorms) I have to go to work, spend time with my family and then fit in school afterward. Easy or cheap does not describe anything I have done in the last 4 years. Just the opposite. Online degrees are becomming more and more popular with students and hiring companies. Anyone who thinks differently needs to catch up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:16:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I have two friends that went through this.  One went with a local school that offered online classes with in person assistance and access when needed.  The other went with Phoenix *I think* the only problem that the second had was cost.  At least some of the online universities charge for the convenience.  I like the idea personally of having the bricks and mortar option if you need it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you must either be superman, or never sleep.  I could never have done it all like that.  My wife and chldren need their time w/ me.  I work full-time.  I cook, clean, do dishes and laundry, mow the grass in the summer and clear snow in the winter.  dang, just listing this stuff is making me tired.  

UofM Ann Arbor is within the top 10 for most programs. I find it very hard to believe a person can attend full-time (9 credits or more, or 3 classes or more per semester) and maintain their household (unless of course it was just your fish and a dog or 1 girlfriend/wife).
What was the area of study? You did not mention a job - Top 10 schools are quite expensive. UofM is about $3000 a class, so that's about $9000 a semester (assuming in-state tuition) so I'm guessing you must be working or taking out a loan which you will have to pay back later on. So were your parents, wife, or someone else supporting you?

If you were attending grad school full-time and working full-time, you would have been up to the neck with assignments, papers, and etc... Difficult - yes, impossible - no.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I took out loans and worked part-time.  Which is my point.  You can do it, if you have the balls.  If you do not, then as far as I'm concerned that's just part of the screening process that online degrees eliminate.

ETA: I took 12 hours a semester.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:10:18 AM EDT
[#37]
You got a pretty big mouth modog. I'm 38 and I work full time to support my family. I cannot afford to work part time and attend a brick and mortar college, it is not an option. So your telling me I'm not good enough unless I go to a brick and mortar school? If it wasn't for the online option I would not be able to have the knowledge today that I have gained over the last 4 years. It is anything but easy. Do you know anything about APA accredidation???  They don't just hand that out to any school that asks. I love you fucking guys that don't know shit about anything.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I took out loans and worked part-time.  Which is my point.  You can do it, if you have the balls.  If you do not, then as far as I'm concerned that's just part of the screening process that online degrees eliminate.

ETA: I took 12 hours a semester.  

Here's the funny thing. I work full-time. I have to, the whole your ass belongs to the .mil thing. I live 1 1/2 hours away from the schools that have the graduate degree I want/am qualified for. Now the .mil requires I get a grad degree while I'm here. Oh and add to that the travel, two weeks just this month.

For professionals who cannot take the time off online degrees make sense. If you can't see someone else's point of view, I'd get your money back for that degree, because you got jack shit.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Modog, unless you were the starting quarterback for one of these schools, we really don't care if you went to a Big 10 school.  

I'm gonna take a big gamble, and say that you probably have never heard any whiney shits talk about how tough it is to show up for a real class.  That is unless you're talking about your fellow classmates.  There are plenty of people who go to brick and mortar schools who skip class, whine about how things are too hard, and so forth.  

As soon as the swelling in your head goes down, remember this.  You DO NOT set the standard as to what is right and what is wrong.  You did it your way and that's just fine and dandy.  Other people will do it their own way when constrained by their situation, whether work, or family... or maybe they don't have a school near by that has a graduate program in their field.  

The only one here thats whining is you, so settle down Francis.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#40]
tag for l8ter
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
shootemup

Where is Colorado are you moving to? Phoenix University is very big in Colorado Springs and offers a very good opportunity either at one of their campuses in Colorado Springs, on line or both.My wife and I have some experience with their criminal justice degree and nurse practitioner degree seem to be very good and well respected in those circles. I cant tell you anything about their business degree but I do have a friend that received a bussines degree from Phoenix and he is now part of the command staff of the Colorado State Patrol.

+1

My buddy works for Phoenix U. in CS.  He is going for his Masters.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:27:00 PM EDT
[#42]
There's a big difference between a degree mill and an accredited online school.  I think the issue is whether the business world and grad schools will accept online degrees as readily as brick and mortar degrees.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Degrees?

Shoot, I know where you can get Eternal Salvation online for only $30, and it comes with a Triple Your Money Back guarantee!

www.subgenius.com/scatalog/membership.htm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The only reason I didn't get one when I was "supposed to" is that the university pulled my grant when i was halfway done -- everyone on that particular grant lost theirs, too -- to free up funds for the new sports complex.  I was already maxed out on student loans, and there was nothing I could do.  Life happened, I got a job, did well, met a man, got married, had a kid.  Now I'd like to have a degree, but can't go back to "real" school.  

So, according to your logic, I shouldn't "ordinarily" have been able to get a degree?  Well, fuck you right back.  There are a lot of people out there who for whatever reason didn't "do" life the linear way the high school counselor laid out for us, and there is absolutely no reason we should be penalized for wanting to finish what we started without giving up EVERYTHING we've worked for in our lives to do it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:34:13 PM EDT
[#45]
HR people look at online degree programs with equal stature if they are accredited by the same people.  

The only schools that will help you get you a job is Ivy League or some top notch school like Vandy or Standford.  And really that only helps on the Coasts.

I didnt learn anything going to a big U, and I have taken some online classes and it seems like the same BS, not really learning anything, just proving I can complete something.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 You said it better and shorter than I did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
shootemup

I'll be living in Grand Junction.  I think there is Mesa College there
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The only schools that will help you get you a job is Ivy League or some top notch school like Vandy or Standford.  And really that only helps on the Coasts.

Just don't get an MBA at Vandy  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#49]
It really doesn't matter if it upsets peoples personal feelings or not, the fact of the matter is that as more and more people obtain degrees the relative worth of the degree begins to fall.  If everyone can get it, it no longer seperates one from another.  Then they have to start using other criteria as a selection basis.  

As the programs get easier for people to complete even when they would not otherwise be able to the worth of the paper will drop.  Look at tech companies.  At first, get an MIS/CIS degree and you were in.  Then everyone and their brother got one.  Result: It became a simple pre-qual and then certs were used to show you had certain skills.  People then began to get certs in droves, the companies cranked them out as fast as they could and much money was made.  Result: diploma and cert are now just pre-qual and companies want 30yrs experiance in the field.

It's just the way it goes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#50]
It's not legit if the school doesn't have a football team!
Fresno State-Anybody, Anywhere, Anytime
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top