Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2008 7:38:25 PM EDT
Hi all, I have a PS3 and a 32" 720p HDTV (I know, nothing compared to some of you) and want to have a better audio system. Right now I have "surround sound" in the form of a $200 Pioneer system, it is OK but not great. I figure I can go to a nice 1080p 40" or so TV for $1000 or upgrade the audio for $500-800...My TV is nothing fancy but I think I'd be better off upgrading the audio...

I was looking at this system, it has HDMI input/outputs and is 7.1...Seems like a reasonable price, does anyone have experience with this manufacturer?

www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/502499922
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO Onkyo is very good stuff for the money.  I have a 6.1 without HDMI and a very old Dolby Digital.  Better than my crap Harman Kardon...  Probably the best brand in a big name store if they carry it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard great stuff about the Onkyos.  With the PS3, it will do a lot of the audio processing that other players need their receivers to do, so you might do some research to find out that you don't need to spend as much as you think.

If you have a lot of time check out avsforums.com, they know more about audio/video than we do about guns.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
In college my next door neighbor was an audiophile and worked at a rather "snooty" high-dollar/high-end Audio store.

He owned an Onkyo system.  And after showing how well the things are built, he convinced me to pick one up.  

Now it's probably time to upgrade (I'm 5.1 with Dolby digital), but that thing's been dropped once and had 220volts course through it for the better part of an afternoon.

still alive.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Onkyo HT-S894 which is a 5.1 system and it's everything I could have wanted.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
most audio geeks would tell you to stay away from packaged HT systems. buy a good receiver, which onkyo makes some nice ones. then get your speakers separate.

pick a budget, then go listen to some speakers.

most movies, even blu-ray are still encoded in 5.1, even the ones that are Dolby TrueHD or DTS-masterHD.

just a better bitrate than the older dolby digital or DTS.

IMHO, buy a 7.1 receiver but only get 5.1 setup to start with and buy nicer speakers.

the speakers are more important than the receiver, good speakers will last many years longer than a receiver if taken care of. and speaker tech doesn't advance like TV tech does, good speakers 20 years ago are still good speakers today.

of course going this route you would likely need to spend about 1500 dollars for nice system.

onkyo reciever: amazon.com tx705 550.00
www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000OBMX0K/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212531074&sr=8-3

a nice speaker package that is internet only, i have an SVS subwoofer and it kicks ass 999
svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

just a suggestion, but if you wanna stick iwth a HTIB that onkyo is prolly ok, just remember they most likely scrimped on the speakers
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
most audio geeks would tell you to stay away from packaged HT systems. buy a good receiver, which onkyo makes some nice ones. then get your speakers separate.

most movies, even blu-ray are still encoded in 5.1, even the ones that are Dolby TrueHD or DTS-masterHD.

IMHO, buy a 7.1 receiver but only get 5.1 setup to start with and buy nicer speakers.

the speakers are more important than the receiver, good speakers will last many years longer than a receiver if taken care of. and speaker tech doesn't advance like TV tech does, good speakers 20 years ago are still good speakers today.

of course going this route you would likely need to spend about 1500 dollars for nice system.

www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR705-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B000OBMX0K/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212531074&sr=8-3

a nice speaker package that is internet only, i have an SVS subwoofer and it kicks ass 999

just a suggestion, but if you wanna stick iwth a HTIB that onkyo is prolly ok, just remember they most likely scrimped on the speakers

You said everything perfectly.

HTIB = NO unless you have no other choice.
Speakers and Sub are more important to the audio quality than the receiver (relatively speaking).
I have an SVS sub as well and they are absolutely phenominal.  Just make sure you have plenty of room.  I use Axiom Audio speakers.

Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speakers and Sub are more important to the audio quality than the receiver (relatively speaking).
I have an SVS sub as well and they are absolutely phenominal.  Just make sure you have plenty of room.  I use Axiom Audio speakers.

Well that sounds nice, but this system is under $500 and what you are talking about is $1500...I'd rather spend that extra grand on a nice new couch, which my living room also needs.

But I don't want to get a bad setup...I don't like to waste money and I like doing things right the first time.

I will look into this but it seems as if this is a much more expensive way to go, will it make that much of a difference? IOW, will it be Hesse vs Colt or will it be Armalite vs Colt?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You can't go wrong with Onkyo. That was the first receiver I bought (1994) and that one is still going strong as my bedroom setup.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well that sounds nice, but this system is under $500 and what you are talking about is $1500...I'd rather spend that extra grand on a nice new couch, which my living room also needs.

But I don't want to get a bad setup...I don't like to waste money and I like doing things right the first time.

I will look into this but it seems as if this is a much more expensive way to go, will it make that much of a difference? IOW, will it be Hesse vs Colt or will it be Armalite vs Colt?

This is where these threads always go, and the reason that the AVS Forum has a HTIB forum and rules against bashing the HTIB when in that forum.

The fact is that these are your ears, and what will make you happy is very different that what makes others happy.

It always makes me cranky when the AV snobs step in a tell people that are asking for a $500 answer that they need to spend $1500 or it's a waste of money. Check the HTIB forum I linked to and you know what you will find? a bunch of people raving about their sub-$800 systems, many of them systems that the AV purists would bash as crap. How can this be?

Here's the facts of this stuff in my life. I went from TV speakers to hooking a cheap digital 5.1 computer speaker system to my TV and it was a HUGE improvement. Well worth the $100 I spent. my home movie viewing on my 37" CRT was much more exciting. I watched movies like that for 4 years and never regretted the money I spent. Then I moved to my new house, I bought a 47" HD LCD TV and then my Onkyo HTIB system (For $400) and it's friggen amazing. I do not regret it, movies are amazing with this new system.

So it really is gonna depend on where you are coming from. If it's from just standard TV speakers then I can GURANTEE that you will LOVE the Onkyo HTIB system you linked to. You will be amazed at what you were missing. If you are used to watching movies on a friends $2000 system and you are trying to duplicate that experience with a $500 HTIB then you might find it falling just a bit short.

ETA:32 to 47 and a couple other wrong words.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is where these threads always go, and the reason that the AVS Forum has a HTIB forum and rules against bashing the HTIB when in that forum.

The fact is that these are your ears, and what will make you happy is very different that what makes others happy.

It always makes me cranky when the AV snobs step in a tell people that are asking for a $500 answer that they need to spend $1500 or it's a waste of money. Check the HTIB forum I linked to and you know what you will find? a bunch of people are rave about their sub-$800 systems, many of them systems that the AV purists would bash as crap. How can this be?

Here's the facts of this stuff in my life. I went from TV speakers to hooking a cheap digital 5.1 computer speaker system to my TV and it was a HUGE improvement. Well worth the $100 I spent. my home movie viewing on my 37" CRT was much more exciting. I watched movies like that for 4 years and never regretted the money I spent. Then I moved to my new house, I bought a 32" HD LCD TV and then my Onkyo HTIB system (For $400) and it's friggen amazing. I do not regret it, movies are amazing with this new system.

So it really is gonna depend on where you are coming from. If it's from just standard TV speakers then I can GURANTEE that you will LOVE the Onkyo HTIB system you linked to. You will be amazed at what you were missing. If you are used to watching movies on a friends $2000 system and you are trying to duplicate that experience with a $500 HTIB then you might find it falling just a bit short.

I'm upgrading from a $200 HTIB so I'm sure it'll be an improvement.

I think I'll go ahead and buy this setup, if it is bad then I'll save the receiver and put the rest in storage.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:44:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd recommend looking at what you want for the end result.  If a HTIB is all you want, go for it.  If you really want good HT audio, it will leave you wanting, with no components to build off of.  If you have all the pieces parts, you can upgrade as you go.

There is nothing wrong with the $500 HTIB.  They sound pretty good and are a far cry from built-in TV speakers.  But built stereo sytem they are not.  Don't kid yourself into thinking they are.

It took me years to build my HT, but most of the components have lasted many years, and everyone always comments on how good the setup sounds.  Deals come around.  I bought an open box $500 sub for under $300.  It has a few scrapes on it, but where subs sit not a single person noticed the scrapes.  

It's great with a pretty good HT system.  On many occaisions, people will think there is actually a thunderstorm or rain outside, when it's the movie.  Gotta love the boom of a sub you can feel.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:35:25 AM EDT
[#12]
didn't mean to particularly bash on HTIB they are great for what they are, inexpensive, easy to setup. but just remember to check to make sure the speakers are proprietary to that system, like Bose or sony does with some of their less expsensive HTIB's.

if you get a HTIB make sure it has standard binding posts and is rated for 8ohm speakers(most mid-range speakers are 8ohms) and has a sub woofer pre-out.

this will allow you to upgrade your speakers in the future. that would be my suggestion

ETA: just looked it up on onkyo's website, that reciever has those features, all though it is a bit under powered its rated at 65w per channel at 8ohms. but if you decided t o buy new speakers down the road you would be good to go.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Onkyo TX-SR805. It's 7.1 Dolby and THX capable. It also 'upconverts' regular DVD video signals to 1080i. I love it.

Bear in mind that you don't 'hear' the amp...you hear the speakers. Most amps these days put out a very clean signal and it's up to the speakers to convert the electrical impulses into sound waves which are what you actually hear.

Hold out for the best speakers you can afford. Buy once, cry once. You can always upgrade an amp/tuner. I'm running Aperion Audio speakers on my setup. They are reasonably priced and are great speakers. They will even let you trade up, giving you full price credit on your trade-ins.

I've never heard Onkyo speakers, so I can't vouch for their quality, but generally, the folks who make microelectronic like amps and tuners, don't do speakers very well. YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have an Onkyo TX-SR805. It's 7.1 Dolby and THX capable. It also 'upconverts' regular DVD video signals to 1080i. I love it.

Bear in mind that you don't 'hear' the amp...you hear the speakers. Most amps these days put out a very clean signal and it's up to the speakers to convert the electrical impulses into sound waves which are what you actually hear.

Hold out for the best speakers you can afford. Buy once, cry once. You can always upgrade an amp/tuner. I'm running Aperion Audio speakers on my setup. They are reasonably priced and are great speakers. They will even let you trade up, giving you full price credit on your trade-ins.

I've never heard Onkyo speakers, so I can't vouch for their quality, but generally, the folks who make microelectronic like amps and tuners, don't do speakers very well. YMMV.

i almost bought that receiver, it was between that one the 875 or the denon 2808. i went with the denon because of the onkyo's tendency to run hot, and i was sticking the receiver in a small cabinet.

but thats a great receiver.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i almost bought that receiver, it was between that one the 875 or the denon 2808. i went with the denon because of the onkyo's tendency to run hot, and i was sticking the receiver in a small cabinet.

but thats a great receiver.

First thing I did was pull the case top off of it and attach a 4 inch fan to the outside of the case using wire ties through the vent slots. I had a Sony that got too hot and I wasn't gonna have that happen again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

my old system? the sub is outstanding, the wall speakers were fair, and the center channel speaker was pretty good.

I bought a newer Onkyo HTIB for my then girlfriend.  Wall speakers were in a much smaller enclosure, but the sound was only ok.  The sub wasn't of the same quality as my earlier model.  The receiver was still excellent (mine's a 1,000 watt, hers was a 500 watt).

IMHO, Receiver=excellent, heavy duty quality.  the included speakers=good enough until you buy better ones.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
www.couponmountain.com/6ave_com-coupons-deals.html

The second one down is the Yamaha V663.

The review and info here:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995796&highlight=v663

6ave is only taking phone orders for the discount. Write down the model number and coupon code and tell them about the avsforums tread.

ETA: make sure you get a reciever that can do true DTS and true DD. You might also want upconversion to 1080p.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I highly recommend Onkyo. I have the 6.1 system with the 6 disk DVD and it rocks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was looking at those HTIB set ups, and came to the conclusion, you are buying a nice receiver, and getting the speakers for free. I believe there a physical limits to speakers, and those speakers just seam to light weight to be decent.

So I went to my local HI-FI shop, and got a great Yamaha receiver, and a set of Paradigm speakers. It came in $750 OTD, and they even threw in a couple optical cables, and speaker wire.

After reading all the reviews, and listening to these for a week, I can highly recomen the CInema series. Here is a link..

www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/fronts-cinema-cinema70-model-2-2-1-9.paradigm

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:46:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Seriously, I know I'm not some kind of AV expert, I don't strain to find oddities in the sound, I don't stand 5" from my screeen looking for dead pixels, but the speakers that came with my Onkyo HT-S894 HTIB sound nice. The Sub is a really nice, all the other speaker give clear full sound.

Now maybe it's because while I got a good deal since it was an older model, the original cost was closer to $900.

It seems I'm not the Only one that thinks they Sound Good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top