Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2011 4:26:25 PM EDT
It disturbs me of those who use their Religion to excuse their laziness or even bad behavior. They seem to not take responsibility for themselves.

I believe Jesus empowers me to do what is right. I also believe he pushes me to my limits and then some to better myself... however, if things don't work out the way I had hoped, I have 2 options

1) Give up

2) Try again

I follow a quote that states ;  "You only fail when you stop trying".  Obviously there are some things that you cannot continue to try at and succeed...  but for most things if you are that passionate about it, continue forward. If you have a goal, continue forward but try another way of obtaining that goal.

I know too many people, that once their first attempt failed they throw up their hands and say "Well, I guess Jesus didn't want me to do this.." or "Jesus will find another way for me, I'll just give up for now".

It makes me go ;  ' '

I tell them to continue to push forward, put their faith in Jesus.. but you need to do it yourself, not rely on him to do it for you, he will give you the strength.

The other side that upsets me is when people do bad things... to either themselves (drugs is a big one), or others and use the excuse "We're not perfect, Jesus will forgive me". As if that is an excuse for their behavior.

I dated a girl for a bit that put her faith into Jesus, and proclaimed it all the time.

When it came time to get a car... she got a vehicle that was way outside of her budget. So much out of her budget that her parents chipped in a huge amount (that she has to pay back), but it'll put a huge dent in her being able to get out on her own for at least 1 - 2 years (something that she also wants very badly).  She was thanking Jesus up and down for the ability to get the vehicle. When asked what happens if her financial situation would change, her response was "Well, Jesus will protect me."

I am very blessed to have the things I have in my life... family, friends, good job, good health etc. I worked very hard for everything I have because when things didn't work out the first time, I pushed till I reached my goal. I know Jesus was the one helping me push myself, but I didn't give up when the problems started. I took responsibility for my actions, I made them right knowing Jesus would forgive me once I did... not shrug it off.

Am I alone in this?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It disturbs me of those who use their Religion to excuse their laziness or even bad behavior. They seem to not take responsibility for themselves.

I believe Jesus empowers me to do what is right. I also believe he pushes me to my limits and then some to better myself... however, if things don't work out the way I had hoped, I have 2 options

1) Give up

2) Try again

I follow a quote that states ;  "You only fail when you stop trying".  Obviously there are some things that you cannot continue to try at and succeed...  but for most things if you are that passionate about it, continue forward. If you have a goal, continue forward but try another way of obtaining that goal.

I know too many people, that once their first attempt failed they throw up their hands and say "Well, I guess Jesus didn't want me to do this.." or "Jesus will find another way for me, I'll just give up for now".
What they do not think about is possibly they are being  tested to see if they will give up, or will really give it an effort..
It makes me go ;  ' '

I tell them to continue to push forward, put their faith in Jesus.. but you need to do it yourself, not rely on him to do it for you, he will give you the strength.

The other side that upsets me is when people do bad things... to either themselves (drugs is a big one), or others and use the excuse "We're not perfect, Jesus will forgive me". As if that is an excuse for their behavior.
exactly what they use it for
I dated a girl for a bit that put her faith into Jesus, and proclaimed it all the time.

When it came time to get a car... she got a vehicle that was way outside of her budget. So much out of her budget that her parents chipped in a huge amount (that she has to pay back), but it'll put a huge dent in her being able to get out on her own for at least 1 - 2 years (something that she also wants very badly).  She was thanking Jesus up and down for the ability to get the vehicle. When asked what happens if her financial situation would change, her response was "Well, Jesus will protect me."

I am very blessed to have the things I have in my life... family, friends, good job, good health etc. I worked very hard for everything I have because when things didn't work out the first time, I pushed till I reached my goal. I know Jesus was the one helping me push myself, but I didn't give up when the problems started. I took responsibility for my actions, I made them right knowing Jesus would forgive me once I did... not shrug it off.

Am I alone in this?

If we truly think we are following Gods will- we should not stop and give up if we don't initially succeed - the bible tells us he will not put more on us than we can handle. If he wants us to do something-
he will provide the strength & the way...

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Becoming a Christian makes us saved - it doesn't necessarily make us smart, although if we pay attention God will teach us wisdom.  I can't blame Him for the dumb decisions I make.

If He calls us to a task, He will equip us for it.

I'm pretty sure Noah hadn't built a boat before the Ark.  God gave him the knowledge and skills for the task he was called to.

Once He calls us to accomplish something, our role is to persevere.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It disturbs me of those who use their Religion to excuse their laziness or even bad behavior.
You mean like judging others?

Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It also irks me when people use the Jesus excuse to make bad decisions.  i.e. "I want to do this, and I interpret everything as Jesus telling me I should."  Anybody who tries to give some logical advice that the decision may not be the best one is instantly interpreted as being the devils spokesperson and "against God".  They like to delude themselves that the decision/choice is what God wants when in reality it is just a bad decision and only what they want.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was growing up I had a very sick mom. She used the church and religion ( among a thousand other things) as an excuse for her issues to the point of distorting the teachings of the church in order to suit the need in the moment. She would also use it as a ruse
or a mask for others to see. She was one way around the outside world and completely another at home.  It created this persona in the public eye that covered for the real truth. It became a crutch for her. Everything bad that happened to her was punishment from God for us kids
being sinners. And she was quite abusive about that part of our faith. She never accepted accountability for her choices ( we were  the reason bad things happened to her ).
As a kid you trust blindly and  by grace and having a few good teachers I figured out the misconceptions that had been drilled into us kids. When I figured that part our I was angry. I judged her. I was a punk with a little bit of knowledge and I had no right to judge anyone. I still don't.  That brilliant quote from Matt 7:3 Why do you look at the speck of dust in your brothers eye, and play no attention to the plank in your own? follows me around.

God doesn't make our choices for us. We have free will for a reason.  I personally have not always made good choices in my life. That being said; good or bad... I rely heavily on my faith as a driver to right my wrongs, to guide me so I won't continue making poor choices.
It is humbling when you recognize the failures as your own. It is even more humbling to realize that I keep making more mistakes. And I beg God daily to help me with these things.

One other thing; The will of God is different from our will. Sometime they line up sometimes not so much. Even Christ asked His Father " if it were possible to let this hour pass from Him. In the end and in the silence Christ gave over to the Fathers will.
Thank God He did.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

God doesn't make our choices for us. We have free will for a reason.  I personally have not always made good choices in my life. That being said; good or bad... I rely heavily on my faith as a driver to right my wrongs, to guide me so I won't continue making poor choices.
It is humbling when you recognize the failures as your own. It is even more humbling to realize that I keep making more mistakes. And I beg God daily to help me with these things.

One other thing; The will of God is different from our will. Sometime they line up sometimes not so much. Even Christ asked His Father " if it were possible to let this hour pass from Him. In the end and in the silence Christ gave over to the Fathers will.
Thank God He did.

Great stuff right there.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank God He did.

Great stuff right there.

Indeed it is

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 8:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Jude 4 calls those who "change the grace of God into a license for immorality" godless. That's a pretty strong description for those who argue that Jesus will cover their sins and don't do anything to change. That should cover bad behavior.

As for laziness.
FIrst circle of responsibility - personal responsibility
"Carry your own load" Galatians 6:5
Second circle of responsibility - familial responsibility"If a man does not provide for his relatives and especially his immediate family he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever" - I Timothy 5:8
"If a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents for this is pleasing to God" I Timothy 5:4
Third circle of responsibility - congregational responsibility"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and keep oneself from being polluted by the world." - James 1:27
In this third circle there are requirements, the person must be willing to work if they can otherwise "If a man will not work, he shall not eat" II Thessalonians 3:10 If the church does help them they are expected to live a moral life and spend time in prayer and ministry I Timothy 5:3-10
Fourth circle of responsibility - those outside the body"Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers" - Galatians 6:10
If the church has opportunity and resources, it should help those outside the body.

So an abled bodied person should first care for his own family, then his other relatives, then the members of his congregation, then others.

A person in need should turn to his immediate family first, then his relatives, then his local congregation.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1) Give up

2) Try again

It makes me go ;  ' '

You're basically paraphrashing St. Augustine (lived 354-430AD):  

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I think those that use Faith as a crutch as not following their faith.

Just because I meditate and read what the Buddha taught does not make me Enlightened. By asorbing his teaching and TAKING POSITIVE ACTIONS to make said teachings a part of my life, things go foward.
From the Upajjhatthana Sutra aka the "Subjects for Contemplation" Sutra:

My actions are my only true Companion
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions
My actions are the ground on which I stand.

The Buddha was clear that life is based on what YOU do, only you determine what does or does not happen. Christianity appears to say the same.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

1) Give up

2) Try again

It makes me go ;  ' '

You're basically paraphrashing St. Augustine (lived 354-430AD):  

"Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”

Going to have to remember that one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#13]
How's the story go from the hadith?

One day a Bedouin asked Mohammed if Allah would look out for his camel. Apparently, this camel would frequently run away. Mohammed said: “Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel.”

In Texas, they say: "Trust in the Lord, but lock the car doors."

I think religion is most used as a crutch when people use it to NOT think, or search, or ponder the things of God.

It's a two edged sword. The woman who bought a car she couldn't afford trusts in Jesus to make her monthly note, just as the atheist negates Christians knowing anything, just because they're religious. Both are using religion as a crutch to not be smart.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top