Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2011 4:33:00 AM EDT
I like to attend a Changing of the Guard ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery anytime I find myself in DC.  I went yesterday evening, after getting a picture of my father-in-law's repaired headstone for my mother-in-law.  I always appreciate how everyone in attendance, even the children, stand and remain silent during the ceremony.  The relieving guard marched in smartly and presented himself to the corporal for inspection.  The corporal took the guards rifle, inspected it and, as he was giving it back to the guard, what appeared to be the metal handguard fell off.  The corporal deftly retrieved the part and gave it to the guard, who performed an about face and marched off, returning several minutes later to finish inspection.  As the inspection continued, the corporal had to adjust the guard's epaulets.  They then completed the ceremony.

The cool thing about this was at no time did either of them break their form or do anything to indicate that anything was out of the ordinary.  Also, no one in the audience snickered or did anything but remain respectfully silent.  Still, I hope the soldier didn't get smoked too badly after his tour was over.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:38:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The changing of the guard is an amazing thing. For anyone that hasn't seen it, put it on your short list.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:53:17 AM EDT
[#2]
My experience was a bit different, two ass-clowns had their cell phones go off durring the ceremony.  What do you think they did?  Yeah, answered them and had a whole conversation!

It sucked because I wanted to say, "hey douchbags, put the phone away and shut the fuck up," but I couldn't.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The changing of the guard is an amazing thing. For anyone that hasn't seen it, put it on your short list.

When i visited Arlingtin I actually watched it like three times. One of the times some little 14-15 yr old twat wouldn't STFU and they actually stopped pointed her out and asked her to.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 4:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When i visited Arlingtin I actually watched it like three times. One of the times some little 14-15 yr old twat wouldn't STFU and they actually stopped pointed her out and asked her to.

You cannot teach class.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 5:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I like to attend a Changing of the Guard ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery anytime I find myself in DC.  I went yesterday evening, after getting a picture of my father-in-law's repaired headstone for my mother-in-law.  I always appreciate how everyone in attendance, even the children, stand and remain silent during the ceremony.  The relieving guard marched in smartly and presented himself to the corporal for inspection.  The corporal took the guards rifle, inspected it and, as he was giving it back to the guard, what appeared to be the metal handguard fell off.  The corporal deftly retrieved the part and gave it to the guard, who performed an about face and marched off, returning several minutes later to finish inspection.  As the inspection continued, the corporal had to adjust the guard's epaulets.  They then completed the ceremony.

The cool thing about this was at no time did either of them break their form or do anything to indicate that anything was out of the ordinary.  Also, no one in the audience snickered or did anything but remain respectfully silent.  Still, I hope the soldier didn't get smoked too badly after his tour was over.
Awesome story.  My 7 year old at the time went and immediately stood up and stayed silent and until it was over.  I didn't even ask him to prior to.

Damaged headstone?  Do I really need to swing by and inspect some of the distant family members stuff now?

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My experience was a bit different, two ass-clowns had their cell phones go off durring the ceremony.  What do you think they did?  Yeah, answered them and had a whole conversation!

It sucked because I wanted to say, "hey douchbags, put the phone away and shut the fuck up," but I couldn't.

why the fuck didn't you? you realize fucktards behavior is NOT self correcting right? someone has to do it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol! That would have been good to see.

I had a team leader and a platoon sergeant who were both former tomb guards. Those guys were both highly squared away.

Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why the fuck didn't you? you realize fucktards behavior is NOT self correcting right? someone has to do it.

I'm surprised nobody said anything.

Last time I was there some tourist decided to cross the chain to get a better picture. The guard came running off the mat screaming at him.

I've never seen a fat man move backwards so fast and I was damn sure that if he didn't the guard really was going to nail him with his bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:55:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd bet all the men who do guard duty have a chest full of dipshit tourist stories.

Awesome sight to see, tho, very memorable.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 6:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd bet all the men who do guard duty have a chest full of dipshit tourist stories.

When I was TAD at Aberdeen I was told the Soldiers working that detail had to be a minimum of 6' tall and have a 30" or less waist.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:00:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My respect to those men.  Any weather, they are there.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You cannot teach class.

Yes you can. And that's the problem... they are not being taught.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I was TAD at Aberdeen I was told the Soldiers working that detail had to be a minimum of 6' tall and have a 30" or less waist.

I've heard 5'10" and 28" waist.  I am sure the specs are up on the web somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome story.  My 7 year old at the time went and immediately stood up and stayed silent and until it was over.  I didn't even ask him to prior to.

Damaged headstone?  Do I really need to swing by and inspect some of the distant family members stuff now?

Repaired was probably the wrong word. It had sunken pretty badly at an angle. The folks at Arlington took care of it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Well it is an inspection isn't it? It worked.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:20:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#17]
An excellent related video.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top