Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 2:53:47 PM EDT
Is how most of the men are dressed like any westerner, jeans and polo or dress shirts.

They look far different clothes-wise than the average Iraqi or Afghani I see pics of all the time.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is how most of the men are dressed like any westerner, jeans and polo or dress shirts.

They look far different clothes-wise than the average Iraqi or Afghani I see pics of all the time.

It might be hard to keep the masses down once they've tasted western civ.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Iran is alot farther ahead in culture then alot of the other ME countries. If it was not for the their idiot gov. and those that buy its propaganda they would be well off.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are also far different in attitude, education, and beliefs than the average Iraqi or Afghani. Just because they live in the same corner of the world doesn't mean they are the same people.

The younger Persian population is one of the most progressive and tolerant groups in the middle east, despite their government being mighty fucked. It sure looks like they are trying to do something about that last part though, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
They are Persians - not Arabs - so that probably has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:09:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Iran is alot farther ahead in culture then alot of the other ME countries. If it was not for the their idiot gov. and those that buy its propaganda they would be well off.

Very true. Before the revolution (Thanks Jimmy!) Iran was the most westernized and modern of the Middle Eastern countries. Arguably even more so than Turkey which is a NATO member.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The Persians would make valuable and strong allies for us in the region.

Too bad we won't raise a finger to help them throw out the nutjobs running the country.  Hopefully they do it themselves.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point.  When I see those pics it makes me think they are a lot like us, just protesting what they thought was an unfair election.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Iran in the late 70s looked a lot like the U.S.

The had a pretty good educational system, a ton of US/UK educated people and a pretty high standard of living.

Then they got the big "Islamic revolutionary" shaft.

Ironically: Funded by the old "communist block."  Which would be the same people selling them nukes today.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Tehran is a huge modern city.
Sort of reminds me of Denver or SLC, Utah.
Too bad the assholes are in charge.
Iran could be a great, great nation.
Iran is not ghetto like Afgan or Iraq.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
The majority of the population, mostly the younger crowd, are pro-western. They hate the regime thats in power now. Alot of Christian and Jewish population in that country. There was a program on the History Channel, or one of those, with Ted Copple as the host, I was shocked at how pro-western they are. Its all in the Mullah regime that is running the goevernment right now. Probably one of the most modern and pro-western of all the Persian nations.

MPD165
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And they might be a better hope for long term democracy than Iraq

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top